Brenham 4 LCM 3 To Advance

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GoStangs

According to KOGT, he swung for the fences with two bad pitches and went down in the count 0-2, and watched the 3rd strike. It's not the way you want to have a final out with the tying run 90 feet away from you, but the result is the same as if he'd have hit a ball that was caught at the fence. It's a tough break, but they fell to a better team who will probably go pretty far, if not win it all, this year.

Guest GoStangs

all scouting reports said that brenham couldn't hit lefties

I agree, it's a pretty bad choice. Brenham only lost two games this year, and one of them was to The Woodlands. They're obviously a very good hitting and fielding team -- you've got to go with your best against their best when you choose to play a one-game series. That's just a no-brainer in my book.

well its one of those deals where if this game would have went into extra innings, we would all be praising Griff right now because he'd have Elhert in there and ready to go for atleast 3 more innings....baseball is a game of inches, and inches came between the LCM win tonite...you cant fault him for doing what he did....

Guest GoStangs

I just don't see it that way. I can't imagine who would gamble on passing up the opportunity to use an ace pitcher in a one-game playoff, just so he can be fresh in case the team gets to extra innings.

BUT THE SCOUTING REPORT SAID BRENHAM HAD TROUBLE WITH LEFTIES! ! ! ! ! !

I like the choice, myself. Play to your advantage and their DISadvantage. I think the problem was Womack was left in too long. Hey, that's what scouting reports are for, and why Griff has done the job he has over the years and won so many people's admiration! They just fell a little short this game. But to hang with the Nations #10 team 3-4 - Nothing to be sorry about! Everybody in AAAA Region III knows the road to Austin goes through Brenham!

Congrats on a GREAT season, Bears!

I love Griffith i really do..Best Coach ever in my opinion for LCM..But why didn't they start Elhert?????? They would have won if he would have started. How many hits did Brenham have when Elhert came in?

Ehlert pitched a complete game on saturday, Womack was fresh. The Womack start and Ehlert close has been very successful throughout the season, I think that is the obvious reason he chose them in the order he did. Plus, as someone else has previously mentioned, Brenham has a little more trouble hitting the lefties and Womack is a lefty. I believe Brenham is #5 in the nation, I think a one run game against a team of this caliber is nothing to hang your heads over. Great season bears!

First, Griff has been very successful this year with Womack then Ehlert to close.

Second, Brenham does have problems with LH pitching (Powell shut 'em down for 6 innings for PNG).

Third, none of LCM's pitchers have gone over 90 pitchers so they are not set up for high pitch counts, complete games, etc. Remember, against Klein Oak,, Ehlert was dominant until the 5th when he gave up 4 or 5 runs and was tiring. Griff's thought process was right...it just didn't work out.

And, remember, with the score at 4-3, the Bears left the bases loaded one inning and a runner on 3rd in another. They had their chances. Againt, it just didn't work out.

This was a very good team, full of very talented players. It is a #$#% shame that they had to play through one of the toughest regions in recent memory. Those guys have nothing to hang their heads about. They represented their school, their district and themselves in an exceptional manner. They are to be commended.

Great season, Bears !!!!

I agree, if Elhert would have started the game, the Bears would have won. He mixed his pitches up and kept the Cubs off balance for rest of the game. However, IMHO, the first reason LCM lost last night was because of a huge error on a play at first which allowed an Cub to score from second. The second reason, tenative base running by the Bears. The Bears had runners in scoring position in two different innings that did not score becuase the runners got bad reads on hard hit line drives. If they are running hard on either hit, at least the tying run would have scored. It was a great game to watch and it is always tough to lose a game that you have double the hits as your opponent.

Yeah that does stink.........The hard thing to do is second guess everything you do or move ya make as a coach, you will drive yourself nuts. It was not the Bears night to win, and that is what it boils down to. They played hard, they just came up short. Everyone loses eventually unless you win it all....Monday morning quarterbacking doesn't help though.

if brenham is ranked number 10 in the nation' date=' i would have to go out on a limb and say they don't have a whole lot of trouble with anyone. always go strength against strength, never weakness against weakness[/quote']

I agree. But then again, the number of wins that Griff has in his coaching career is that number more than I have in mine.

Great year, Bears!!!!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder