Who Would You Consider The Willie Ray Smith Award Winners?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hussey would be a likely candidate but remember, this is the Willie Ray Smith awards.  If you are not from Beaumont or Port Arthur your chances dwindle quickly.  Usually when you see a kid from outside the city limits win it's because their stats are so outrageous they can't be denied.  This is why several of the area schools have stopped nominating their players or attending.

From what I have personally seen, you could give both awards to Tramain Thomas. He is the real

deal, he can take it to the "House " on offense and really bring the "Lumber" on defense. Just my

opinion. I will make an early prediction for next year, HF's Cameron Burrell. He is already making an

impact as a Junior, I would hope that would not change next year.

From what I have personally seen, you could give both awards to Tramain Thomas. He is the real

deal, he can take it to the "House " on offense and really bring the "Lumber" on defense. Just my

opinion. I will make an early prediction for next year, HF's Cameron Burrell. He is already making an

impact as a Junior, I would hope that would not change next year.

Dont take this offensive, but it would be real hard for a kid from HF to win it. I agree with you though, he impressed me against us. Good luck to HF MAKE THE PLAYOFFS!!!!!

Dont take this offensive, but it would be real hard for a kid from HF to win it. I agree with you though, he impressed me against us. Good luck to HF MAKE THE PLAYOFFS!!!!!

No offense taken. I guess you are right, small school players do not get that many "HeadLines". We

are lucky just to get our stats mentioned

No offense taken. I guess you are right, small school players do not get that many "HeadLines". We

are lucky just to get our stats mentioned

In fact, I believe the last "small" school to get one was Orangefield in '99. My good friend Beaux Daville got the offensive. You know they hated that, but he was nasty, you couldnt overlook him. It would have proved their bias. I think he still holds some 3A records.

Tramian Thomas should be considered for both sides of the ball no doubt.

He has only played 1 full game on offense which hurts his "stats", but those who know understand he is a special player.

Defensively he is outstanding as well.  I would put him up for Defensive Player of the Year in a heartbeat.

In fact, I believe the last "small" school to get one was Orangefield in '99. My good friend Beaux Daville got the offensive. You know they hated that, but he was nasty, you couldnt overlook him. It would have proved their bias. I think he still holds some 3A records.

I guess you mean smaller than the average 3A, right? WO-S has (as you know) won it each of the last two years - Beasley for the offense in 05 and Earl Thomas last year for defense.

Guest FPHS 78

Hussey would be a likely candidate but remember, this is the Willie Ray Smith awards.  If you are not from Beaumont or Port Arthur your chances dwindle quickly.  Usually when you see a kid from outside the city limits win it's because their stats are so outrageous they can't be denied.  This is why several of the area schools have stopped nominating their players or attending.

get your facts straight....

2006 Micah Mosley, RB, Ned Earl Thomas, DB, WOS

2005 Deon Beasley, QB, WOS Sean Weatherspoon, LB, Jasper

2004 Jamaal Charles, RB, Mem Brian West, DB, Ozen

2003 Jamaal Charles RB, Mem William Morrisey DL, Silsbee

2002 Matt Peebles RB, BC Joseph Bryant DL, Jasper

2001 Tony Eckert QB, Lumb. Ricky Wilson DB, Lincoln

2000 Shon Yoder WR, Ned Jermaine Hope DB, WOS

1999 Dustin Long QB, PNG Gayron Allen LB, WOS

1998 Beaux Daville RB, OF Rod Gulley FS, Newton

1997 Chip Ambres QB, WB Charles Sias DE, WOS

1996 Bryan Bock RB, BC Fred Wright DE, Kountze

1995 Elijah Burkins RB, TJ T.J. Light DT, Lumberton

1994 Jeffery Spikes RB, Burke Ty Ardoin LB, WB

1993 Jay McGuire RB, Silsbee Shun Horn S, Jasper

1992 Dexter Hebert RB, Kelly Frank Middleton DT, WB

I guess you mean smaller than the average 3A, right? WO-S has (as you know) won it each of the last two years - Beasley for the offense in 05 and Earl Thomas last year for defense.

Yes, I meant "mid-majors" in 3A. Not saying anything negative here, but your Jasper's, Silsbee's, or your WOS's arent really considered 3A. Atleast not statisticaly if you know what I mean. Example: Oklahoma would be a normal D1 team while Hawaii is D1 and doesnt get the same recognition. ;)

get your facts straight....

2006 Micah Mosley, RB, Ned Earl Thomas, DB, WOS

2005 Deon Beasley, QB, WOS Sean Weatherspoon, LB, Jasper

2004 Jamaal Charles, RB, Mem Brian West, DB, Ozen

2003 Jamaal Charles RB, Mem William Morrisey DL, Silsbee

2002 Matt Peebles RB, BC Joseph Bryant DL, Jasper

2001 Tony Eckert QB, Lumb. Ricky Wilson DB, Lincoln

2000 Shon Yoder WR, Ned Jermaine Hope DB, WOS

1999 Dustin Long QB, PNG Gayron Allen LB, WOS

1998 Beaux Daville RB, OF Rod Gulley FS, Newton

1997 Chip Ambres QB, WB Charles Sias DE, WOS

1996 Bryan Bock RB, BC Fred Wright DE, Kountze

1995 Elijah Burkins RB, TJ T.J. Light DT, Lumberton

1994 Jeffery Spikes RB, Burke Ty Ardoin LB, WB

1993 Jay McGuire RB, Silsbee Shun Horn S, Jasper

1992 Dexter Hebert RB, Kelly Frank Middleton DT, WB

Thanks FPHS 78, for setting the record straight

Guest Chaingang Defense

cody hussey has done outstanding.. in two district games and basically 1 1/2 preseason games he has 700+ yards.. stats will just keep piling up for him...

he's my pick for offense

My pick as well.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder