1989-1993 Jay Law

1994-1996 Pat Murphy

1997-1998 Kevin Johnson

1999-present Jeff Matthews

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Id be willing to bet that if you look at all the unsuccessfull teams in the area, you will see high coach turnover to blame. Look at Lumberton's instant success. They have had Credeur(sp?) since middle school. That helps tremendously. ;)

Thanks for the list. Matthews has stayed and been committed to the program. At times I question the some of the assistants that he uses, but he cares about the program and is at almost every event. I can remember when everybody knew they could beat Vidor until Thompson came to town, with Matthews we have earned a lot of respect. It has been a tough year for us but I don't think we should give up on Matthews or the team.

Guest piratefaithful

Id be willing to bet that if you look at all the unsuccessfull teams in the area, you will see high coach turnover to blame. Look at Lumberton's instant success. They have had Credeur(sp?) since middle school. That helps tremendously. ;)

you are right.

someone said in another post.the head coach for Longview was an asst.coach at vidor a few years ago.the sulphur head coach was the OC at vidor years ago.Bickham who is  at deweyville use to be the OC at Vidor.You look at WOS,Ned.PNG and they all have had there asst.coaches a long time.(except Long from Png who went to be head coach at kelly)but before that he was at PNG awhile..you have to surround yourself with quality asst.coaches

Guest piratefaithful

Some more coaches off the top of my head.Morrison the Orange field head coach was a vidor coach for awhile.Ramsey the HC at warren was at Vidor.

alot of coaches have came through there but havent stayed long.

you are right.

someone said in another post.the head coach for Longview was an asst.coach at vidor a few years ago.the sulphur head coach was the OC at vidor years ago.Bickham who is not at deweyville use to be the OC at Vidor.You look at WOS,Ned.PNG and they all have had there asst.coaches a long time.(except Long from Png who went to be head coach at kelly)but before that he was at PNG awhile..you have to surround yourself with quality asst.coaches

One step further. If you have a coach in place at a school for a long time, that is where tradition sets in. Not trying to be a homer, but Hooks and Thompson have been coaching at WOS together since '77 (except when Thompson was gone from '01-'03 I believe). It gets to the point of them knowing what each other is thinking without even having to speak to each other.

Guest piratefaithful

I think anyone that is familiar with Vidor football knows that we have trouble keeping good assistant coaches. Why this is I dont know could be pay?

I know Dwight Bickham was the OC at Vidor and when Mathews let him go he went to Buna as the Rb's coach and got a raise.That should tell you some thing.

We could have lost Mathews last year when he applied for the Bc job.maybe he seen the writing on the wall.

Guest piratefaithful

One step further. If you have a coach in place at a school for a long time, that is where tradition sets in. Not trying to be a homer, but Hooks and Thompson have been coaching at WOS together since '77 (except when Thompson was gone from '01-'03 I believe). It gets to the point of them knowing what each other is thinking without even having to speak to each other.

you are exactly right Kicker.I am not sure but I know some Ned. fans will know..How long has the Oc and Dc been at nederland? I know i am right about Long from Png he was there awhile until he was ready to be a head coach..WOS is a great example.

Look at Newton with Barbay also..Like I said earlier facts are facts and records speak for them self.

Guest piratefaithful

he is if not the lowest in the district.before anyone egst mad at me this is Public information that you can get .I wish him and his asst would make more

Guest piratefaithful

The DC has been there 34 years.  He was my coach back in the day.  

The OC has been there for 14 years.

Only two of the assistants have coached there less than a year.

that just proves my point even more.

thankyou Bigdog.

Guest Tyrone27

Mathews is a good person who takes his job serious and does his best to create a positive environment for his players. The problem with Vidor's program do not begin with him and will certainly not end there either. Pressures to promote sophmores and occassionally freshman to varsity send the wrong message to the athletes. Players that do not reach maturity early drop out, move, or play other sports so that they will not be on JV as a junior. Also players that do not go through summer workouts or start after the begging of the season are allowed to go straight to a starting position because they are athletic. In order to win Mathews needs to keep his best athletes on the field as much as possible instead of worrying about playing time for underclassmen. I wonder if any of this sounds similar to other programs in the area?

It is a shame when Vidor says they want a top of the line program and are not willing to pay enough to maintain top assistants, trainers(Vidor has some good ones but they need help), equipment to make it a top of the line program. Matthews should be paid in comparison with the other top coaches in the area.

VISD is cheap!!!

Cheap aint the word. I can only imagine what the assistants make? Some could probably apply for goverment assistance. Now we know why coach Mathews could be at a disadvantage when it comes to retaining good cordinators. Everybody needs to layoff this guy until the playing field is level.

I am not sure that their are pressures to promote sophmores. There are many sophmores left on the JV team and some seniors who should probably be on the freshman team (if that were possible). Several of the sophmores spent their entire summer at workouts and give it everything they have at practice. I will agree that there are those who walked on to Varsity because they are athletic and that is not fair. However to say for the coach to "worrying about playing time for underclassmen" is unfair. Unfortunately some Varsity players don't find it necessary to go to summer workouts or even attend some practices and others have poor attitudes. For this reason, I believe the coaching staff had to do what has needed to be done, even if it means losing a few more games. Now, I will agree that Mathews should put his "best atheletes" on the field as much as possible, even if the athlete is a sophmore.

Guest piratefaithful

Dayton's coach makes $30,000 more and Neuman Makes $25,ooo more.

wonder why Vidor cant keep coaches....I am scared to ask what the asst.makes

Guest Tyrone27

I am not sure that their are pressures to promote sophmores. There are many sophmores left on the JV team and some seniors who should probably be on the freshman team (if that were possible). Several of the sophmores spent their entire summer at workouts and give it everything they have at practice. I will agree that there are those who walked on to Varsity because they are athletic and that is not fair. However to say for the coach to "worrying about playing time for underclassmen" is unfair. Unfortunately some Varsity players don't find it necessary to go to summer workouts or even attend some practices and others have poor attitudes. For this reason, I believe the coaching staff had to do what has needed to be done, even if it means losing a few more games. Now, I will agree that Mathews should put his "best atheletes" on the field as much as possible, even if the athlete is a sophmore.

Thanks for your post Mr. Fan. at least we agree on a couple of things. Tyrone27 would like to see Vidor build it's program up with whatever it has to do.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83