West Brook wins but might lose star running back

West Brook wins but might lose star running back

HUMBLE - Coasting to an easy victory, the West Brook football team may have suffered a major blow Saturday.

Advertisement

Click here to go to JK Chevrolet

Standout running back Albert Williams Jr. was helped off the field with what at least one coach feared might be a serious right knee ligament injury in the final minutes of West Brook's 56-14 knockout of Kingwood in Turner Stadium.

West Brook athletic trainer Chip Whiteside declined to comment on the seriousness of the injury. He added that Williams' knee will be examined Monday.

"When I saw he was hurt, my first thought was I can't do it without him," said junior running back Christine Michael, who shares the rushing workload with Williams, a senior. "He's like a big brother to me on the field."

Williams and Michael each rushed for more than 100 yards against Kingwood. Williams scored the team's first touchdown, and Michael reached the end zone four times, three times rushing and once on a 19-yard screen pass.

Williams rushed 21 times for 129 yards. His last carry was for 3 yards late in the fourth quarter, and the injury occurred one play later, on a keeper by quarterback Christian Louis.

After Williams was helped to the sideline, Whiteside tended to him while he lay on a track surrounding the artificial-surface field, slick from rain showers in the second half.

"He didn't get hit," West Brook coach Craig Stump said. "He wasn't even carrying the ball. He just kind of stopped, and his leg kind of slipped."

Michael carried the ball on the next play and immediately knelt by Williams after leaving the field. Michael said he felt Williams would be OK.

"I had to immediately go over there and see what was wrong with him," said Michael, who rushed 16 times for 140 yards. "When I found out he was alright, it kind of cooled me down a little bit. At first, it looked like he was in pain."

Senior receiver Joshua Powdrill was among a group of players to surround Williams.

"He's a big part of the team," Powdrill said. "He's one of the best leaders we have, so I don't want to see him go out like that. I want to see him succeed, because he wants to go on to college. I want to see him do good, but that happens. We'll see what happens, and I hope he gets better."

Offensive lineman Gerald Moulton checked on Williams after post-game handshakes.

"I'm worried," said Moulton, a senior. "He is a big part of the team. I just want to check on him and see if he's OK. I hope it's just minor. It would be bad for him to end his senior year like this."

Williams and Michael are the only two West Brook backs to carry the ball this season. Williams has 467 rushing yards, and Michael has 400.

Also for West Brook (4-1 overall, 2-0 District 21-5A), Jordan Garrett returned a fumble 43 yards for a touchdown in the first quarter and Louis rushed for two touchdowns in the fourth. Kingwood (0-5, 0-2) was limited to five first downs.

West Brook plays Friday against Baytown Lee (3-2, 2-0), predicted in a preseason poll of coaches to win District 21-5A. Michael said he's ready to enter the game without Williams, his tag-team partner.

"I'll have to do it for him," Michael said. "I'll carry him on my back as if he's in the game with me. I'll have to grind it out and fight for him."

i hate to see that happen...but,it sure helps us when we play them. that's assuming he's out that long. if michaels get some steam going,you ain't stopping him!!! he killed us last year. like wbbear said,you can take atleast a good 14 points off the board along with 120 yards on the ground.

Guest WeedBegone

i hate to see that happen...but,it sure helps us when we play them. that's assuming he's out that long. if michaels get some steam going,you ain't stopping him!!! he killed us last year. like wbbear said,you can take atleast a good 14 points off the board along with 120 yards on the ground.

To early for any of us to know when he will be back.  But against Memorial the stats will be so high--i dont think we can calculate the impact of one player. The pig skin is going to cover a lot of ground that game.  Probably both ways. 

Micheals can hold the load at rb without williams...  The williams kid is key but they have a two headed monstar over there and if one of the heads is gone its still a monstar.  Christian will get more carries, so he will be able to sustain what williams did for the most part!!!!  I wish the williams kid was there because he is a great player but brook is still poised with the either/or back situatioin!

i like our chances dealing with one back than two. with this defense we should be able to somewhat slow michaels down. what i mean by that is try to wear him down. he's gonna get his yards,but  lets try to cut 250yards in half. if whitmore is on powdrill,it's gonna be a long night for PAM.if gardner is on him,it's gonna be shut down on that side.

pearland have nothing this year. i saw them and they have nothing. i don't think they can beat or hang with katy. the sho would be a good for them.

Michaels is good enough to get Brook to the 2nd or possibly the third round.  With a healthy Williams in, they are on another level. And can compete against the big bad Katys', Pearlands', and North Shores'.

This is the first time I disaggreedd with you.  The element of the game plan changes with williams in their, because you have to account for both...  Micheals should have the energy to accept more carries, the kid is in excellent phiscal state.  You do loose the game plan but Micheals is an exploxive big play guy!  Both backs keep them fresh but lets see how Micheals does when he has a chance to get into a rythm and actually sees 25 plus touches in a game...  I think this kid is a star!!!! 

Guest BigHam

This is the first time I disaggreedd with you.  The element of the game plan changes with williams in their, because you have to account for both...  Micheals should have the energy to accept more carries, the kid is in excellent phiscal state.  You do loose the game plan but Micheals is an exploxive big play guy!  Both backs keep them fresh but lets see how Micheals does when he has a chance to get into a rythm and actually sees 25 plus touches in a game...  I think this kid is a star!!!! 

Ya know what we're forgetting. WB has a passing game when they want it. IMO Lee has probably been preparing for the 2 back offense. Without Williams the play selection will change and now Lee will have to adjust. I believe one of the keys to WB success this year, in addition to some great athletes, is Stump and his staff's ability to take whats given and adjust. Let's all hope that Williams gets back soon and is 100% for the playoffs.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder