Tigers take on Class 4A Port Neches-Groves in predistrict tilt

KFDM COOP

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=18812204&BRD=2287&PAG=461&dept_id=583964&rfi=6

Tigers take on Class 4A Port Neches-Groves in predistrict tilt

It wasn't that serious at Tiger Stadium at mid-afternoon Wednesday, but Silsbee's Bobby McGallion was closely monitoring the weather outlook for the next couple of days.

"If you live around here long enough, you'll play in this kind of stuff," said McGallion soon after his team sloshed its way through kicking-game preparations during the Tigers' mid-day athletic period. "I've been involved in quite a few games when water was a factor, and it appears I'm going to be involved in another."

That will come Friday night when the Tigers host Port Neches-Groves in their home opener - weather permitting - of course.

"Unless it's lightning, or unless we get flood-like rains, we intend to play the game," said McGallion. "This kind of weather limits what you can do on the offensive side of the ball, so you have to plan accordingly. Your cuts aren't going to be as crisp, and you have to place even more emphasis than normal on taking care of the ball.

"About 10 years ago, we had a game against West Orange-Stark in our old stadium which was probably the worst one in which I've ever been involved. We played about three-fourths of the game in about a 30-yard area of the field.

"It became like one, big sloppy rodeo arena. We're optimistic it won't get that bad this time. Our new field has about an 8-inch, sandy base, and drains very well. Right now, it's in good shape."

McGallion's Tigers are coming off a 33-32 season-opening victory at Houston Sterling, and coach Matt Burnett's Indians will enter the game seeking not only their first win but their first score after dropping decisions of 19-0 to Brenham and 7-0 to Crosby.

"We had a back-and-forth game with Sterling," said McGallion. "About the middle of the fourth quarter, they scored to go up by about five or six points.

"Fortunately, we came back after the kickoff and pushed it down the field to put one (touchdown) in to get the 33-32 lead. That was encouraging, and then we made some big defensive stops in the final three minutes when we had to make them. So, that was encouraging, too."

Silsbee sophomore quarterback Jeremy Johnson enjoyed a successful varsity debut, rushing for 129 and two touchdowns and passing for 158 yards and another score without throwing an interception.

The Tigers also received 121 rushing yards and two TDs from junior running back Chris Castle. He broke a 40-yard TD run, and Johnson had a 54-yarder.

"On the offensive side, our linemen came together well, and we feel good about the athletes we have who are touching the ball," said McGallion. "We're starting two sophomores and a junior in the backfield, so you have to feel excited about how much better they're going to get once they get a little more experience."

Port Neches-Groves and Silsbee renewed their series last fall after a six-year layoff, and the Indians won 27-9 in Port Neches. The Indians have won six straight in the series, and the Tigers' last win was 31-21 at PN-G in 1995.

"We've played PN-G off and on over the last 18 years, so we're well aware of what we're getting into," said McGallion. "They (the Indians) are very similar this year to what they've been over that time span.

We're looking forward to an exciting night."

That is - of course - weather permitting.

Come on guys did ya'll not see the mistakes that where made:

Quote"That will come Friday night when the Tigers host Port Neches-Groves in their home opener"  :o

Lets see, Silsbee's home opener was last week.

Quote"McGallion's Tigers are coming off a 33-32 season-opening victory at Houston Sterling" ::)

Remember Silsbee's home opener

Quote"coach Matt Burnett's Indians will enter the game seeking not only their first win but their first score after dropping decisions of 19-0 to Brenham and 7-0 to Crosby."  ???

To who?

Please tell me I was not the only one to see this. Not only to Silsbee, but really both Mid-County teams. And as always if I'm wrong, just tell me. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83