St Pius 19 Vidor 13 Final/Comments

I feel good also..too many turnovers..

Like pirate87 said Vidor was on St.Pius 25 with 1:30 left and fumbled.

Franklin is an athlete..need to run outside or run the option more.Reynolds looked good also.Defense will be good..one mistake early in the game and the one at the end..other then that Vidor played good against a REALLY great team tonight.

They arent the TAPPS state Champs for nothing.

I agree! The pirates are tough! We are going to hurt some people this year. Watch out dogs.......

I feel good also..too many turnovers..

Like pirate87 said Vidor was on St.Pius 25 with 1:30 left and fumbled.

Franklin is an athlete..need to run outside or run the option more.Reynolds looked good also.Defense will be good..one mistake early in the game and the one at the end..other then that Vidor played good against a REALLY great team tonight.

They arent the TAPPS state Champs for nothing.

St. Pius traps Pirates, 19-13

By Jason Rollinson

The Orange Leader

VIDOR — Facing a 19-7 deficit, the Vidor Pirates scored a late touchdown to pull within six points of Houston St. Pius X. After a successful onsides kick along with a 15-yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty against the Panthers, it appeared the Pirates were on their way to a tremendous comeback. However, quarterback Roman Franklin fumbled the ball away with just over a minute left and St. Pius held on for a 19-13 win in non-district action at Ivan Croak Field in the first regular season game for both squads.

The Pirates (0-1) used their option-running attack to wear down the Panther defense in the second half, but was unable to overcome costly fumbles throughout the game. Vidor, which totaled 207 yards of offense, with 185 coming on the ground, held St. Pius X — the defending TAPPS state champions — to just 259 yards after the Panthers starting quarterback, Billy Noonan, left the game in the first quarter with a possible concussion. He was a perfect 3-of-3 passing for 92 yards and a touchdown.

Howard Risher, St. Pius’ starting running back, took over behind center and finished with 62 yards on 13 carries while tailback Derian Meredith was the team’s leading rusher with 69 yards on 13 totes.

Franklin paced the Pirate running attack with 79 yards on 12 carries while running back Theron Reynolds took 16 handoffs for 43 yards.

“You always want to come away with a win, but the kids gave us everything we could ask for and fought ‘til the end,†Vidor coach Jeff Mathews said. “We had six starters injured for this game and started eight sophomores, but they were thrown in the mix and we’re a better ballclub than we were two hours ago.â€

St. Pius X took an early lead with less than two minutes elapsed in the game when Noonan connected with Landon Johnson for a 59-yard deep route. The extra-point kick by Anthony Fera was good and the Panthers led 7-0.

Vidor responded with a little trickery of its own. Facing a fourth-and-3 play from the St. Pius 16, the Pirates lined up in a swinging-gate formation to throw off their opponents. Franklin opted to throw a shovel pass to a wide-open Chris Teinert to put the Pirates on the scoreboard. Franklin’s extra-point kick tied the game at 7-7 with 1:05 left in the first half.

“We brought that play in last year and took a chance on it,†Mathews said. “We thought they wouldn’t be able to cover and weren’t ready for it, and it just worked. They were expecting a dive up the middle and Roman alertly saw the open receiver.â€

St. Pius took the lead for good with 9:01 left in the third when Derian Meredith scooted 30 yards down the sideline for another six points. St. Pius then tacked on another score when Risher swept left on an option-play keeper for 26 yards, but the two-point conversion failed and the Panthers remained on top, 19-7 with 7:22 left in the game.

Vidor made things interesting late in the game when Teinert pounced on a St. Pius fumble in the end zone to give the Pirates new life and pull within six points at 19-13. The extra-point kick sailed wide left, but Vidor’s last hopes were pinned on an onsides kick, which Vidor did happen to recover, only to fumble the ball away on the first play of the ensuing drive.

“I felt like they were tired towards the end and figured we would be able to get 7 or 8 yards a carry,†Mathews said. “I thought their secondary was their strength and we wanted to exploit their weaknesses.â€

Vidor will travel to Class 4A Houston Jones on Thursday for a non-district matchup against the Falcons.

“We’ve got a short week, but we’ll come back (today) and look at the film, correct our mistakes and get ready for the Falcons,†said Mathews. “We should be able to put this loss behind us.â€

I agree piratefan we need to run the option a little more and look to throw some quick passes over the middle off the fake to reynolds. I thought all in all after sleeping on it we played very good defence waited to long to get the offence going but that will get better when we get some of the starters back.Geeting pillisbury back on defence will surely make it better

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami