**Deweyville 21 Evadale 0 FINAL/COMMENTS**

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Deweyville defense halts Rebels; Pirates rack up 268 ground yards

By David Rollinson

News/Leader Sports

DEWEYVILLE Ć¢ā‚¬ā€ Sophomore running back Keeton Addison rushed for a game-high 127 yards on 20 carries, leading the Deweyville Pirates ground game to a 268-yard performance en route to a 21-0 blanking of Evadale in non-district action at Pirate Stadium.

The Pirates pounded the ball left, right and up the middle as three other rushers gained more than 30 yards a piece to complement Addison.

Cruz Thrailkille rushed for 44 yards on 10 carries and a touchdown, while Stephen Gibson scooted for 46 yards and a score and quarterback Brandon Powell finished with 39 yards on seven totes.

The Deweyville defense allowed just 113 yards, 30 on the ground and 83 through the air.

The Pirates fireworks went off with just seven ticks left in the first half in DeweuvilleĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢s second game at its new stadium when senior linebacker Justin Morcum stepped in front of a Rebel pass and blew by the opposition for 75 yards down to the Evadale 5.

Thrailkille took the final five yards for the score and Tim Swinney gave Deweyville a 7-0 lead with two seconds left in the first half.

The Pirates never looked back in the second half, tacking on two more rushing scores as Addison and Gibson reached from 3 and 7 yards out, respectively.

Deweyville preserved its shutout with three minutes remaining on a goal-line stand at the 11, keeping the Rebels from gaining any yards or points.

The Pirates will play their third straight non-district home game next week when the High Island Cardinals travel to Pirate Stadium.

Deweyville has not put together a complete game yet, (offense & defense). Defense is stout when the right combo is on the field, and they will hit you.Ā  The offense is coming around, however, turnovers, mental mistakes are killing some really good drives.Ā  The good thing is District games are a couple of weeks away so hopefully by District the Pirates will be rolling and firing on all cylinders.

I saw the game and believe me the game was a lot closer than the score. Evadale gave Deweyville all they wanted and more.Ā  Two big plays on Evadale miscues cost them dearly.Ā  Both teams played hard and should hold their heads high but the Evadale team is playing with some kind of heart.Ā  Evadale moved the ball fairly well at times against a much larger Deweyville team only to shoot themselves in the foot when getting close.Ā  Those boys don't give up.Ā  Definitely a different Evadale team this year.Ā  They earned what is called a "moral victory" against Deweyville last night.Ā  Congrats to Deweyville and Evadale and good luck on the rest of your seasons.Ā 

0-0 1st quart

7-0 half

13-0 3rd

21-0 game

If Deweyville really struggled with Evadale, it could be tough run through a much improved district.Ā  I just don't see them in the playoffs againg this year.

I think they miss their running back a lot more than they thought they would.One thing is for sure Buna is playing well,EC is gonna be right there again and Hardin and Kountze are much improved.This is gonna be interesting.

They just did not come out to play against them at first because after they beat a very tough Vinton team they had it there minds that they can roll over a 1a school it was a mind thing last friday I wish our schedule was more tougher because they know they are better then the schools they face in predistrict..

Steelerczy. You had a post that no one in 24-2A is shaking in their boots because Buna beat a 1A school. Well if you look at your schedule you guys play 3 1A schools in the pre-district and so far 21-0 (Which I heard that it was closer than the score) does not exactly make anyone shake either. You should know that with High School kids you can be surprised or let down on any given week. Last year Buna lost tot Anahuac 26-14. Sounds like Anahuac played well but the truth is Buna had 9 Turnovers and only lost by 12 points. Buna lost the game but I feel Anahuac did not play well enough to Win. JMOĀ  Best of luck to you guys except when you come to Buna.LOL.

Steelerczy. You had a post that no one in 24-2A is shaking in their boots because Buna beat a 1A school. Well if you look at your schedule you guys play 3 1A schools in the pre-district and so far 21-0 (Which I heard that it was closer than the score) does not exactly make anyone shake either. You should know that with High School kids you can be surprised or let down on any given week. Last year Buna lost tot Anahuac 26-14. Sounds like Anahuac played well but the truth is Buna had 9 Turnovers and only lost by 12 points. Buna lost the game but I feel Anahuac did not play well enough to Win. JMOĀ  Best of luck to you guys except when you come to Buna.LOL.

Bobkat I never said anyone should "shake in their boots" when playing Deweyville, get your facts straight, a Buna poster made that statement, 24-AA is tough top to bottom. And I wish you luck throughout the season, but before you call someone out on the forum, do the research first.

No disrespect to Deweyville but how good is Vinton?I don't think anyone around here knows much about to them.Deweyville benefited from playing this type schedule until they got there program turned around but now it will probably hurt them in the long run.Last years team strength was the run with Williams.I don't think they have that caliber offensive threat this year so this club is gonna have to play better defense this year.If they do that they will be in the hunt,if not the district schedule will be brutal.Looks like Buna,EC,Hardin,Kountze and Anahuac are all gonna score lots of points.Warren is in the same boat as Deweyville as fars as losing a top notch running back,fortunately there defense seems to be way ahead of where it was last year.This district is gonna be awful fun to watch.

fact...

Ā  Ā  Re: **Buna 62 Burkeville 6 FINAL/COMMENTS**

ƂĀ« Reply #16 on: Today at 08:51:53 AM ƂĀ» QuoteĀ 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote from: SteelerCzy

Ain't no one in 24-AA shakin in their boots after Buna beats a 1-A school 62-6, every team in this District will beat you if you don't show up ready to play.

ƂĀ« Last Edit: Today at 08:58:05 AM by SteelerCzy ƂĀ»Ā 

fact...

Ā  Ā  Re: **Buna 62 Burkeville 6 FINAL/COMMENTS**

ƂĀ« Reply #16 on: Today at 08:51:53 AM ƂĀ» QuoteĀ 

At least you are doing a little research Cougarfan, that is my quote from another quote off the topic of Buna V. Burkville final comments, again, the "shaking in their boots" quote came from that post, I was responding to their quote.Ā  FACTS.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote from: SteelerCzy

Ain't no one in 24-AA shakin in their boots after Buna beats a 1-A school 62-6, every team in this District will beat you if you don't show up ready to play.

ƂĀ« Last Edit: Today at 08:58:05 AM by SteelerCzy ƂĀ»Ā 

No disrespect to Deweyville but how good is Vinton?I don't think anyone around here knows much about to them.Deweyville benefited from playing this type schedule until they got there program turned around but now it will probably hurt them in the long run.Last years team strength was the run with Williams.I don't think they have that caliber offensive threat this year so this club is gonna have to play better defense this year.If they do that they will be in the hunt,if not the district schedule will be brutal.Looks like Buna,EC,Hardin,Kountze and Anahuac are all gonna score lots of points.Warren is in the same boat as Deweyville as fars as losing a top notch running back,fortunately there defense seems to be way ahead of where it was last year.This district is gonna be awful fun to watch.

Go to Maxpreps and search Vinton, enrollment wise they are equivilent to a Texas 3a school, they went 3 or 4 rounds deep in the playoffs last year, and this years team is a quality ball club.Ā  Losing a player like Justin Williams would hurt any team, however, his replacement has rushed for 168 yds against Vinton and 127 yds against Evadale, so the rushing offense hasn't missed a beat, the offensive line is a strength of this team.Ā  The mental mistakes i.e. penalties/turnovers need to be corrected, and they are getting better, by the time District play rolls around Deweyville will be firing on all cylinders, they'll show up and play you hard from start to finish.

I don't think anyone knows who will make the playoffs in 24aa.There are some much improved teams from last year.I don't think Deweyville will be challenged until district starts and in my opinion thats not good for a playoff caliber club.They should have a good club this year but they didn't exactly manhandle the district last year.Not sure where all there district games are this year but things are going to be interesting this year for all the clubs on the road in 24aa.Good luck to the pirates and all the rest of the 24aa teams.

Evadale game was closer than expected, but a good win for Deweyville, any win is a confidence builder,and as far as beating up on smaller schools, you have to really look at the numbers to really appreciate just how good a program Deweyville puts together each year. Every school currently in their district was a 3a school in recent past. Deweyville has struggled to stay above 1a status each year since they mooved up. The alternative to playing schools such as Evadale in pre season is to play 3a schools with 8 times the enrollment.Not a hard task for schools like Buna or East Chambers who were in those districts just a few years ago, and competed well I may ad.Getting beat up by a school 8 times your size is gonna do nothing for moral of any team. I think the Vinton game was a great choice and then the 1a schools a good warm-up and moral boost before distict.By the way looking in the past I can only remember getting beat by 1a schools a few games, and one to the hand of then state champs West Sabine. So put Deweyville in the distict they belong in, and they go deep in play-offs every year, judging by past. As for this team this year, they have a VERY GOOD defence, and a fairly strong running game. If they can control the ball and the clock with their running game, they will compete with anyone in district.If they fall behind early, it will be difficult for them, lacking the big play maker like Justin gave them last year.They are not a team thats gonna put up big numbers like last year, but they can march it down the field 3-6 yards at a time as good as anyone.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder