what if this merger was to happen.....

WOS and LCM will eventually merge, it will be a big school 4A powerhouse

Wow... if WOS and LCM merged right now they'd only have an enrollment of 1945 which means they would still only be 4A.  That's sad.   :o

It's interesting how the trend over the past 20 years has been for more and more schools to merge, when it was the exact opposite in the 50's and 60's.  In the early 50's (prior to 1956) there were only 10 football programs competing in the UIL from Orange and Jefferson counties combined. 3 from Orange (Stark, Vidor and Orangefield) and 7 from Jefferson (PNG, Nederland, TJ, SFA, South Park, French, and Beaumont).

In just 11 years that number almost doubled with 19 different programs competing in the UIL from the two counties from '67-'74. In fact, from 1968-1974 the Golden Triangle actually was divided between two 4A districts (the equivalent of 5A at the time).  In 1969 there were 13 teams from the area in the largest classification.  And now we're down to only having 2.

Ever since PAM opened the two counties are back down to only having 13 programs total: 5 from Orange (LCM, WOS, BC, Orangefield, Vidor) and 8 from Jefferson (West Brook, Central, Ozen, Hamshire-Fannett, PAM, Nederland, PNG and Sabine Pass).   Only 4 of the original 10 from fifty years ago are still intact today (and that's only if you don't count the Groves being added on to Port Neches as a major change).

If I'm not mistaken the talk of merging was with both city's to be re-named something like Mid-County......but the schools would remain where they are.....then you would have been the Mid-County Bulldogs and the Mid-County Indians......same city but still two schools...........

something about being in the same city does not sit well with both sides.....this is not the first time the discussion has come up in the town's history's.........and there still apart!!

Guest EagleFan01

That merger with Jasper and Newton would be sweet but I don't think them two schools together would be 5A but they would be a sweet 4A school they would dominate alot of schools. If you was going to move them to 5A they would have to add Burkeville in with them then they would probably be a big enough but they would be a small 5A.

West Cypress Giraffes

:D

How about the Orange HS Hurricanes or the Orange HS Bengals?

We would have to be primarily Orange in color. Blue or Green wouldnt work. We would have to make it an individual school. Where would we play? LCM or WOS? I say renovate the field at 16th and Green. Its probably one of the best fields in the state anyway.

As a more realistic merger, I would think that WOS would merge with Orangfield and LCM with Deweyville.

If they ever do merge, and one would think that it will happen one day, in my opinion it will be BC and Orangefield, WO-S and LC, Vidor and Mauriceville. I'm not sure how it would work merging schools in two different counties. One thing is almost certain, it will have to be done by the State. The two schools will never do it themselves.

A new school would have to be built. If you look at the distance from all of the schools there's no way to bus the kids that far. That's why you can't include Mauriceville in the LC and WO-S merger. I'm not sure merging schools to come up with a really big school is what is needed anyway. I think it's more of a financial and logistics issue. What we really need is one County school board. Look how big BISD is and even HISD. But for whatever reason Orange County needs to have 5 school districts and boards and Superintendents. It just doesn't make sense to me.

A new school would have to be built. If you look at the distance from all of the schools there's no way to bus the kids that far. That's why you can't include Mauriceville in the LC and WO-S merger. I'm not sure merging schools to come up with a really big school is what is needed anyway. I think it's more of a financial and logistics issue. What we really need is one County school board. Look how big BISD is and even HISD. But for whatever reason Orange County needs to have 5 school districts and boards and Superintendents. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Makes even more sense.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124