Most Overated 22-4a

Who is the most Overated team in 22-4a?  

167 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the most Overated team in 22-4a?

• Dayton
    • Central
    • Nederland
    • LC-M
    • PN-G
    • Ozen
    • Lumberton
    • Vidor

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sure am glad you weren't trying to take anything away from the streak...?

If it is so easy to get into the playoffs with a three team format, why aren't there multiple teams with as long of streaks?

We know Nederland has made the playoffs 11 years in a row. What team is next with playoff appearences during the last 11 years? WOS87 can you help?

If it is so easy to get into the playoffs with a three team format, why aren't there multiple teams with as long of streaks?

To respond to this and answer adminbaberuth, Dayton's streak is equal to Nederland's. They've been in the last 11 years.

Had we not been DQed in 92, we would have had a 14-year streak up until 99.

Here are a few streaks statewide I found:

Easton - 18 years

Paul Pewitt - 12 years

LaMarque - 18 years

Calallen - 18 years (including one final, 5 semifinals, 9 quarterfinals)

Ennis - 11 years (including three titles, five semifinals)

Too much sifting through names and years to continue...  :-[

Not really, lubbockbulldog. I voted ned and explained my vote in great detail. My Mustangs were 5-5 against Ned during that span and 23-6 overall. There's no jealousy among our fans, and there's really not as much among other schools as you apparently think. I know quite a few people who genuinely feel the program is "overrated" - at least compared to the other choices. Big deal.

WOS92, I went back and read your post and I appreciate your point of view. I have much respect for WOS and the legacy that they are continually building. When I was playing, that game always was circled on my calender. And the Saturday after, I sure felt it reguardless of how much I had played.

As far as the patitan's comment about Ned playing PAM...whether or not Coach Nuemann is "scared" to play PAM bcause of all the athletes, it really doesn't make a difference to me. Nederland has chosen to play Lamarque for the past several years because it basically looks better for 4A ranking purposes (which we haven't been in for the past couple of years) and even more so for the experience before district play. Even you, patitan, would agree after stepping back that the Cougars are a more superior TEAM that PAM. I think that Nederland is better off taking a "whipping" at the hands of a more superior TEAM in LM than to pittle-fart around playing the Titans.

Here are a few streaks statewide I found:

Easton - 18 years

Paul Pewitt - 12 years

LaMarque - 18 years

Calallen - 18 years (including one final, 5 semifinals, 9 quarterfinals)

Ennis - 11 years (including three titles, five semifinals)

Too much sifting through names and years to continue...  :-[

Jack Yates hasn't missed the playoffs since '79.....

WOS92, you really have access to some great stats. I was aware of Dayton's and Newton's streaks, but wasn't aware of EC's, good for them. My question, since I was too vague, was why other teams from our district haven't been able to streak their playoff appearances, since it is so easy in this district (sarcasm) and our old 20-4A to enter the playoffs? Were all these other team's streaks accomplished with outright district titles every year, or did some play second fiddle? It really doesn't matter to me. I think these streaks are amazing and say a lot about the programs and athletes involved year after year, and the constant reloading. Maybe I am wrong, but I don't believe I have ever heard a fan of any of the 'streaking' teams say Nederland is overrated, save one. What does that tell me?

I have all the respect in the world for WOS, but during a 3 year period a few years back, WOS was ranked like 5th and 8th in the state early in the season. Nederland beat them rather handily in 2 of those games (won 3 in a row). Doesn't that constitute being overrated? How about a high state ranking, going undefeated in the regular season and losing in the 1st round? Doesn't that that make a team overrated? I guess one could say you had off-nights. We in Nederland are not afforded such luxuries. I am not taking cheap shots at WOS. I have already stated that I respect them. I just wanted to show that no matter how great a program is, any team can fall victim to being considered overrated at some point.

I didn't pick NED but the success (of 'getting' to the playoffs) they have had makes them an easy pick.........most people (who vote for them) are waiting for this streak to end.............it's like voting for something for 5 years and it doesn't happen, then the next year it happens and you say......see i knew it was going to happen........lol

Guest osue200

Man!  You guys are brutal. LOL.  I normally hang out on the softball forum.  I just thought we were bad.  I can see were Nederland could be looked at as being overrated.  So What. That's what makes these forums so much fun.  People said Nederlands softball team was overrated until we went 14-0 in district and out scored our district opponents 103-7 and ended up with a #4 ranking in the state polls.  Sometimes you have to earn some respect.  Everyone loses players each year and new players emerge.  Until your team has proven themselves then you may get the respect you deserve.  Doesn't look like titan will ever give Nederland any respect.  I've enjoyed reading this thread it was quite entertaining.  Good luck to all the setx football teams.  It should be exciting  GO DOGS!

Oh, no doubt we've been overrated quite a few times early in the season. I can admit that. We've also been underrated a fair share of times - like in 2000, when we weren't ranked but ended up going 15-1 losing in the finals AND handing Bay City its only loss on their way to the state title in D1. Then again, we've got 17 reasonably recent district titles, two state titles, four finals appearances, five semifinals appearances, eight 10-0 seasons, yada yada yada. So you can call us "overrated" all you want. With all due respect, we look at those accomplishments and our 25-6 record against the team of the person saying it and we just say the equivalent of "scoreboard!"

Were all these other team's streaks accomplished with outright district titles every year, or did some play second fiddle?

It's not a matter of occasionally being second fiddle, but always second at best. Newton was undefeated district champ for 9 of their current 13 straight years. East Chambers was champ in six of their 12 straight.

I can only speak of our longest run, which was 14 years, though the DQ in 92 wiped it off of the books officially. Here is how we placed in disrict for those 14 years:

1985: 7-0 district champs

1986: 6-1 shared title

1987: 6-0 district champs

1988: 5-0 district champs

1989: 5-0 district champs

1990: 7-0 district champs

1991: 7-0 district champs

1992: 4-1 runners up

1993: 5-0 district champs

1994: 4-1 runners up

1995: 5-0 district champs

1996: 4-3 third place

1997: 7-0 district champs

1998: 7-0 district champs

So we were not just champs 10 of those 14 years, but undefeated in each. We lost a total of 6 district games over that 14-year span (93% win percentage).

So from those three "streaks," we have a total of 39 "streak" years and 25 district championships (65% of the seasons).

I'm not trying to rub anything in here - you asked the question.

Of course it's impressive, and my intentions were not just aimed at WOS. I also asked about the other teams listed whether they played second fiddle. WOS fans would never rub anything into someone else's face. I see their record posted every season. I think I also proved my point. Any team can be overrated.

The highest I have personally seen Nederland ranked in preseason is about 18th. If we go three rounds deep and lose, isn't that just about where 18th should end up? So where is the overrated? We also were underrated in '01 when we played in the semis against Smithson Valley, who the following year, went 5A and played for state.

True. But in others, we were the very last team to lose a game that year - or win a game that year. I'm not saying winning the title necessarily equates to having a chance to win in the postseason, nor does not winning it mean the reverse. But never being the best team in your district is not the mark of a dynasty in my eyes. I'm not voting based on state rankings or any of that, but of local popular perception.

And of course we post our record every year (best all-time win percentage in TX all time in any class, have I mentioned that?). It's our legacy. You can't tell me that Nederland fans don't mention "the streak" as often, right? ;)

I think, honestly, that we'll always disagree on this stuff. However, there is validity in each argument for/against Nederland. Nederland has every right in the world to brag, shout, and run their "streak" up the flagpole to see who salutes it. On the other hand, those folks pointing out that the team has yet to win the district outright have just as valid a point.

Which is a stronger indicator of Ned's prowess? I guess that depends on which side of the fence you originally sat. If you are a Ned fan, no talk of "second/third fiddle and coin flips" will change your mind, because you value the streak. Those on the other side won't buy into this "streak" because of the third place and second place finishes and coin flips with no titles. That's why this argument will last until one or both end - both points are about equal.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Because early last year, a few overzealous fans were actually shouting "state" for LAST YEAR. It's easy to draw a big bullseye on your team when they've never made the playoffs, haven't turned around a bit and suddenly think they will win it all just because you've made a coach change. That was last season, and it's still in the minds of most non-Lumberton fans here.

Because early last year, a few overzealous fans were actually shouting "state" for LAST YEAR. It's easy to draw a big bullseye on your team when they've never made the playoffs, haven't turned around a bit and suddenly think they will win it all just because you've made a coach change. That was last season, and it's still in the minds of most non-Lumberton fans here.

Well im new to the web site lol didnt know nothing about Lumberton fans saying we were going to state! A winning season would be great for me  ::)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124