Jeff Stringer signs Juco scholarship!

Nice little write up in our Penny Record Newspaper, although I thought Stringer had over 150 strikeouts on the year. Maybe the paper referred to regular season strikeouts and didn't include postseason? Anyway, congrats Jeff and good luck in your collegiate career.

http://therecordlive.com/default.asp?sourceid=&smenu=87&twindow=Default&mad=No&sdetail=1918&wpage=1&skeyword=&sidate=&ccat=&ccatm=&restate=&restatus=&reoption=&retype=&repmin=&repmax=&rebed=&rebath=&subname=&pform=&sc=1934&hn=therecordlive&he=.com

Stringer signs with Raiders

Lefthanded pitcher drops Lamar, joins Okaloosa-Walton Junior College

By Julie Shehane

For the Record

Okaloosa-Walton Junior College baseball coach Keith Griffin has announced the signing of lefthanded pitcher Jeff Stringer to a national letter of intent for the Raiders, starting with the 2008 season.

“We’re extremely excited to get Jeff for our program. He’s a great addition to our roster,†Griffin said on Monday. “We just sent the paperwork over to him and we should have it back within a day and then Jeff has officially joined our program.â€

Stringer, 5-10, 170 pounds, will join the Raider roster for two years.

A 2007 graduate of Bridge City High School, Stringer caught the eye of college scouts in his senior year when his shots from the mound helped lead the Cards to a series of shocking postseason upsets. During the 2007 Cardinal season, Stringer faced 261 batters in his 11 starts and recorded 120 strikeouts with seven pitching wins on the season and earned a winning pitching average of .875 with the Cardinals. From the plate, Stringer launched eight homeruns with seven RBIs, and earned a batting average of .286 on the season.

Stringer accepted a four year scholarship from Lamar University earlier this year, but recently withdrew his letter of intent to seek offers from other colleges. Griffin said he contacted Stringer as soon as he learned of the pitcher’s new availability.

“As soon as I heard he was available again, I acted because I knew he was looking at other schools and I didn’t want someone else to get him. He’s perfect for our program,†Griffin said.

Stringer said he made the change from a four year university to a two year junior college in order to plan for the future.

“There was a part of me that wanted to get out of the area, but I chose OWJC because I want to have the opportunity to enter the major league draft sooner than four years from now,†Stringer said Monday afternoon during a telephone interview from Port Charlotte, Florida, where he and other local athletes are competing in a special baseball tournament series.

Griffin said Okaloosa-Walton will provide Stringer quite a few new options for his future.

“Jeff will end up getting a really good scholarship or draft offer after he finishes our program. Most of our (graduating) sophomores go on to get four year scholarships with big 10 universities and we also have a solid number each year that get drafted (MLB) straight from our roster,†Griffin explained. “It’s like that every year here. We are a very good stepping stone for ball players.â€

Located in Niceville, Florida, OWJC Raider baseball program consists of a 23 man roster. Following the 2007 spring season (26-24), Gifford said seven sophomores received full scholarships to big 10 universities and five others were drafted into professional baseball action. Stringer is one of 15 new additions to the Raider roster for the 2008 season.

Stringer will enroll for fall classes next month. He will be eligible for the Major League Baseball Draft after one year with the Raiders.

I'm a big Proponant of JUCO ball but the article is misleading as it refers to once he withdrew his letter we contacted him. Unless there has been a change in the NCAA rules wereas a player can sign with both a D1 and a JUCO, why didnt they go after him earlier>>signing date for JUCO. I know in the past when you sign (not verbal) with either, other schools in D1 or JUCO can't talk about attending unless the ones you have signed with releases you. Just asking thats all. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SVD Beaumont
    Newest Member
    SVD Beaumont