Supplements for athletes.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 3AFan

I've asked the question before and have got limited responses, "What is the best supplement on the market now for young athletes?"  My son is currently using whey protein and glutamine.  Creatine scares me.  What are ya'lls thoughts on the matter?

Eat lots of protein, drink water, and work hard. That's about all the supplements a kid needs, besides a good vitamin.

Fat kids eat lots of lean meats, and cut the simple carbs.

Skinny kids eat lots of protein, and complex carbs.

Both need to drink a lot of water, and stretch.

Keep the kids healthy, they get too caught up in supplements, the gateways to other more dangerous alternatives.

Guest 3AFan

Can you be more specific about the vitamin.  Good ones, brands........

The Flinestones make a great tasting vitamin.... but I'd probably just go with a One a day vitamin, lol.... Omega 3 fatty acid has a ton of beneficial effects for people of all ages as well. Get the kind that doesn't taste like fish though, your burps really taste bad when you don't.

Bottom line:

Lean meats... 1 gram of protein per body weight.

Complex Carbs - Wheat, brown rice, Vegetables and etc...

Lots of water

Multivitamin and Omega 3 fatty Acid

with lots of Hard work....

You don't get much healthier than that. Avoid the cokes and fried foods, and anything that promises quick results for 65 bucks a bottle!!!

Guest 3AFan

Ya'll heard anything negative about whey protein?

No, sometimes too much powder protein is hard for the body to break down,and can cause some problems, but protein is safe..... what are your kids attributes? Height, Weight? 40, Bench? etc....

I disagree with "Vitamins are a waste of money". You need a good vitamin, because there are something you don't get from food that you get in a multi-vitamin. But I do like the responses of all you need to do is eat. Alot of people think they can fix there bodies with supplements. Drink lots of water!

I've asked the question before and have got limited responses, "What is the best supplement on the market now for young athletes?"  My son is currently using whey protein and glutamine.  Creatine scares me.  What are ya'lls thoughts on the matter?

Sharkbaer... My 2 oldest sons have been taking whey protein, multi vitamins and b-complex for 2 years. Both boys are built different. I learned that for my leaner son, he added glucose to his whey protein drinks. He has jumped up from 155 to 170 lbs as of this this week. Both boys eat protein meats along with the supplemental shakes.  Both boys play football (college and high school). They continue to workout 4-5 days/week. Give the whey protein time. How long has your son been on his whey protein program?

I have to agree with those who don't recommend supplements.  Hard work and eating smart should do the trick.  My kids have wanted to do supplements and I have stood my ground.  If they can't obtain it naturally...then they just won't get it.

I have two (one year apart) built totally different.  My oldest graduated last year and although he has a smaller, but more "cut" build, he made up for in speed.  My middle son is like 6'2" and not as "cut", but definitely has good size.  They have to get it the old fashioned way...HARD WORK!!!

I know our coaches don't condone the use of supplements and I have to agree.

All interesting post here.  My opinion, when it come to whey protein, an excellent choice because it is easily digested, it is a good source of protein.  As far as vitamins, those off the shelf at CVS or Walgreens are a waste of time because of the way they are formulated.  Yes, you will "piss" them away because they body can't break them down.  So, you need to find a high quality multi vitamin and omega 3 fatty acid.  You may spend a little more but you get more out of it. 

Now as to diet, lets face it, how many high school kids really eat right most of the time.  There is too much sodium, too much sugar, and way too much fat in their diets.  If you can get a kid to focus on eating the proper foods 90% of the time, that will be great. 

Work out (weights, running, flexibility), REST, HAVE FUN, eat 5-6 times per day and there will be growth.  Then again, there is only so much you can do with the hereditary factors!

Coundt have said it better bmtdc, you have to eat or drink a protein shake after you workout hard to feed your muscles! alot of people just workout and dont eat afterwards trust me if you eat right and workout hard you will see the difference!

Good point King.  That is a definite must, eating within thirty minutes after a workout, I forgot to mention that.  A good protein shake or protein meal with some complex carbs.  It will feed those muscles and start the rebuilding process.  This is one of the most interesting topics I have ever seen on this site.  THIS  is something everyone can get some info from.

I wouldn't trust too many people that say they know anything about nutrition, supplements, lifting.  It doesn't take much to be a "trainer", I think a 2-3 hour course.  Their is a big diffrence between training to be a bodybuilder, powerlifter, or training for football.

No, sometimes too much powder protein is hard for the body to break down,and can cause some problems, but protein is safe..... what are your kids attributes? Height, Weight? 40, Bench? etc....

He's going to be a freshman this year.  He is about 160lbs. and about 5' 7".  His bench is around 185-190 with a squat around 250-260.  Not so sure about the 40 time, but he played linebacker and fullback last year. Definetly needs work getting out of the blocks.  Seems to be mostly interested in football but is playing summer baseball right now and enjoying it.

why does anyone need supplements. why does anyone need help from a pill are you to lazy to do it yourself.

I don't think that anyone is asking for a pill that will do everything for them without any work.  My purpose would be for supplying the body with the things it needs to maximize it's potential.  Lazy, maybe, in not willing or making the time to prepare the meals that would provide the adequate vitamins and proteins needed.

Sharkbaer... My 2 oldest sons have been taking whey protein, multi vitamins and b-complex for 2 years. Both boys are built different. I learned that for my leaner son, he added glucose to his whey protein drinks. He has jumped up from 155 to 170 lbs as of this this week. Both boys eat protein meats along with the supplemental shakes.  Both boys play football (college and high school). They continue to workout 4-5 days/week. Give the whey protein time. How long has your son been on his whey protein program?

Just got back on the whey.  Have noticed about a 5lb. gain just in this short time.  Hitting the gym three time a week.  Having trouble working in the lifting due to summer baseball practices and games.  He's playing pitcher and 3rd base.  Think he has a case of the summer lazies sometimes too.  No need for a testerone booster since he is turning 14 and seems to have girls on the brain.

Nitro tech hardcore is the kind of protein i use i usually put 2 scoops in a 16 ounce mixer when i weighed 167 a couple of weeks ago and now I almost weigh 180 and use Skim milk when you use protein...and wait until your kid is about 16 to get on some big stuff like testoterone boosters you dont want your kid to stack on pills to young..

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83