Best Caliber for Deer Hunting

In your opinion, what is the best caliber/rifle to use for deer hunting?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. In your opinion, what is the best caliber/rifle to use for deer hunting?

• .25-06
    • .30-30
    • .30-06
    • 7mm

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted for .270 just because I use that most of the time.

It is a good thing that not many people post in this forum since that topic can sure open a can of worms.

For whitetail within 150 yards, I think a .223 and larger is fine assuming that you have the right cartridge in it. Somewhere between 100 and 150 yards some rounds tend to start showing problems. Rounds such as the 30-30 are devastating on deer but after 100 yards their trajectory really starts showing problems. A 30-30 zeroed at 100 yards will drop about 3 feet at 300. Great gun at 100, lousy at 300. If you know that all of your shots will be inside of 100 yards, the old 30-30 will match the best of them.

Light fast rounds like the .223 will do the job with trajectory and will shoot very fast but they lose a lot of energy downrange. If someone wants to shoot a light flat cartridge then something like an 80 grain .243 should do the trick. If zeroed at 150 it only drops 8 inches at 300. It still carries about 1,000 foot/lbs of energy at that range which should get the job done. The .223, while a flat shooter, only has about 400-700 ft/lbs at that range. Again, great gun at 100 yards and lousy at 300.

As for the more popular larger calibers, in my opinion the ones like the 25-06, .260 and .270 are good rounds. They are not quite the energy at 300 yards as the 7MM Rem Mag but they are close, they shoot about the same trajectory and you don't have to pick your arm up off of the ground after every shot. If I was hunting elk at 500 yards in Montana, the 7MM Rem Mag would be the way to go. I suspect that about 98% of whitetail shots, at least in east Texas, come from 150 yards in. Even in south Texas I would bet that very few are taken at beyond 300 yards.

So.... it all depends on where you hunt, how far your longest shot will be (either by terrain or skill) and how much you don't mind pain. For east Texas I don't think anyone can go wrong with almost any listed but I would recommend the .243, .270 or .308 most do to good performance and availability of ammo. Toss in the 30-30 and 30-06 just for good measure. I don't believe in overkill but I sure see a lot of 7MM Rem Mags for sale. I think a lot of people like the idea of having a rifle that will bring down a bull moose and then realize that the time at the range spent in pain is not worth the bragging point.

Guest R Cavness

Good topic.  There a number of calibers on the market to choose from.  I have hunted Whitetails for over 30 years and believe I have seen almost each and every caliber used from a 22-250 to a .338.  From experience, and mounts on the wall, I believe the Winchester Model 70 chambered in .270 is a great all around caliber.  Great accuracy with decent power.  I even think the .270 can be used for your bigger deer in South Texas.  I hunted until 7 years ago with a .270, and it always performed well...it hit where I aimed, all the time.  The .270 doesn't destroy the deer upon exit.  I have shot many South Texas deer with the .270.  I now shoot a Winchester Model 70 .300 Win Mag.  You do not have to track a deer when you shoot the .300, as it carries a huge impact.  I love the gun with the Luepold VX-III 14-4.5X50 (You can see in the dark with this scope and for a long way).  One issue with the .300 is that when a deer is quartered towards/away from you, you are going to blow one shoulder apart.  I see alot of .300s and 7MM Mags in South Texas and I am starting to see some WSMs.  For big South Texas trophys (210-230lbs), I prefer the .300.  However, here is the important issue...some people cannot shoot a magnum rifle.  You have to practice with a Mag just like any other gun...I've see alot of people who are "scared" of the kick, but a break will fix that.  Also, a good trigger is a key, too.  I tried several types of rounds and found that the Winchester CXP2 in 150 does the trick...really tight patterns (about an inch at 100, and 200). 

I see a number of Ranch Managers who swear by the .308.  I think you need the appropriate gun for the size of deer you are going after.  I see the .300, and the 7Mag alot in South Texas, and still see many .270s, with a few 280s.  My next gun will be a .264 Win Mag!  I had a 25WSSM, super accurate, but not enough knockdown for South Texas, but still a great gun for popping does ro Pronghorn

I think the key is a good combination of firearm, scope and the proper weighted round.  Go ahead and spend the money for a good scope!

MLD season is right around the corner!

Have a good one!

I voted for .270 just because I use that most of the time.

It is a good thing that not many people post in this forum since that topic can sure open a can of worms.

For whitetail within 150 yards, I think a .223 and larger is fine assuming that you have the right cartridge in it. Somewhere between 100 and 150 yards some rounds tend to start showing problems. Rounds such as the 30-30 are devastating on deer but after 100 yards their trajectory really starts showing problems. A 30-30 zeroed at 100 yards will drop about 3 feet at 300. Great gun at 100, lousy at 300. If you know that all of your shots will be inside of 100 yards, the old 30-30 will match the best of them.

Light fast rounds like the .223 will do the job with trajectory and will shoot very fast but they lose a lot of energy downrange. If someone wants to shoot a light flat cartridge then something like an 80 grain .243 should do the trick. If zeroed at 150 it only drops 8 inches at 300. It still carries about 1,000 foot/lbs of energy at that range which should get the job done. The .223, while a flat shooter, only has about 400-700 ft/lbs at that range. Again, great gun at 100 yards and lousy at 300.

As for the more popular larger calibers, in my opinion the ones like the 25-06, .260 and .270 are good rounds. They are not quite the energy at 300 yards as the 7MM Rem Mag but they are close, they shoot about the same trajectory and you don't have to pick your arm up off of the ground after every shot. If I was hunting elk at 500 yards in Montana, the 7MM Rem Mag would be the way to go. I suspect that about 98% of whitetail shots, at least in east Texas, come from 150 yards in. Even in south Texas I would bet that very few are taken at beyond 300 yards.

So.... it all depends on where you hunt, how far your longest shot will be (either by terrain or skill) and how much you don't mind pain. For east Texas I don't think anyone can go wrong with almost any listed but I would recommend the .243, .270 or .308 most do to good performance and availability of ammo. Toss in the 30-30 and 30-06 just for good measure. I don't believe in overkill but I sure see a lot of 7MM Rem Mags for sale. I think a lot of people like the idea of having a rifle that will bring down a bull moose and then realize that the time at the range spent in pain is not worth the bragging point.

Hey TVC - you headed back to Maverick county this year?

Hey TVC - you headed back to Maverick county this year?

Only if I can find a ride. I have several friends that say maybe yes and maybe no. I don't have a pickup at the moment and need a way to get my Honda Recon there. If the pastures were within walking distance I would go by myself but they are not. It's a little far to drive my 4-wheeler from Beaumont to almost Eagle Pass. If I find a ride, I will be there without fail.

I started out with a 30-30, but I shoot a 30-06 now.  I shot a 10-point perfect with a 30-30 at 100 yards, and I found him two weeks later.  I brought three other people out there with me to track that deer and there was almost no blood trail.  I switched after that.

............................. I shot a 10-point perfect with a 30-30 at 100 yards, and I found him two weeks later.  ...................

If you hit him "perfect", why didn't you find him?

I've seen people on my lease shoot a deer with a .270 and a .308 and they ran off not to be found. They didn't hit them perfect either.

Meat Hunting- I use 22-250 - Neck shot just below the head.

Hunting Horns- I use a 25-06 - Heart shot so not to mess up the cape

They have never let me down.......  YET ;D

But I believe all listed in the poll will do the job.

I have killed many with the 243,270,30-06 and 7mm mag but I had a muzzle break on the 7mm mag  ;D It sure helped out.

Looks like .270 is in the lead, I thought that was what the poll might look like.

I think the .270 is popular since it is easy to find ammo for it and it is somewhat of a compromise between the really heavy rounds and the light fast rounds.

If you hit him "perfect", why didn't you find him?

I've seen people on my lease shoot a deer with a .270 and a .308 and they ran off not to be found. They didn't hit them perfect either.

He didn't go far, maybe 50 yards.  Very thick brush and trees where I hunt, and like I said, no blood trail.

25-06 is what I shoot almost all whitetails with.  I don't take a shot if its over 200 yds. most of the time. I do use a Marlin 30-30 when I'm stalking in east texas sometimes. 

Question for anyone, speaking of 30-30 rounds, has anyone tried the leverevolution?  I hear its a good round.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    newyourk01
    Newest Member
    newyourk01