Coaches Mount Rushmore..COACHING STAT INFO HERE

Who would be the top four all time (must be retired) highschool football coaches in SE Texas.

I will start off with two...

1.  Bum Phillips

2.  Doug Ethridge

3.  ????

4.  ????

Don't think Coach Washington from Lincoln ever made it to state...

Would think a state championship would be a must...

Don't know his name, but Westbrook's coach in 1982 (their first year of existence when they won state).  That was huge for Beaumont ISD...

I think of the current coaches, only Dan Hooks would be gauranteed a spot, who would he knock off the mountain???

Let see if we can get an agreement on the top 4 (only 4) and they need to be retired...

Mount Rushmore of Golden Triangle Coaches (must be retired, state championship a must...)

4 coaches only....

1.  Bum Phillips

2.  Doug Ethridge

3.  Clifton Ozen

4.  Alex Durley

Does Barbay deserve to be in???

Hooks is a lock in when he retires...

Who is Hooks going to knock out???

So...

1.  Bum Phillips

2.  Doug Etheridge

3.  Alex Durley

4.  ?????

Don't know if Alex Durley would be on the mountain, who would you pick as 3 and 4, or would you remove one of my top 2???

Durley had many successful teams and took West Brook to the state championship their first year in existence. In his first year at West Brook, Durley was as many state championships as Etheridge did in his years at PN-G.

Durley's state championship (I think) was huge for Beaumont (maybe the most important state championship in SE Texas history with it being involved in the merger of Forest Park and Hebert)

That season really bonded the kids at West Brook together.

I went to college at Lamar with a friend from West Brook, and his stories of that season were special.

Look at WOS 87's chart about all time wins...

Doug Ethridge's 4 year dynasty is #1 (from 1974 to 1977).

Alex Durley I think is in due to the circumstances involved in his state championship.

Bum Phillips is (in my opinion the greatest)

Was Ozen the coach of the 1976 Hebert team???

If so, he would get my #4...

Durley's best season ever as head coach wasn't even the 1982 West Brook state championship team, it was the Beaumont Hebert 15-0-0 1976 State Championship team.  Durley took over from Ozen in 1975 at Hebert and then continued on at West Brook after the merger until he passed away in the early 80's.

Probably WAY before most people's time but Clyde Gott and Bill Stages lead Hull-Daisetta to what was at the time the longest winning streak in the nation at the high school level from 1936-1939, winning 41 games in a row.  It remained the record until Abilene's famous streak of 49 surpassed it in the 1950's.  It's STILL the 5th longest streak in Texas 11-man high school football history, only surpassed by Abilene, Cuero's 44 game run in the 70's, Celina's record streak of the late 90's and just this past season Southlake Carroll's current streak of 48 in a row.   Gott was the head coach for the first 22 games and Stages for the last 19.  If it had been the same coach for the entire run, it would definitely put them in Top 4 territory in my book.  Since the lower classifications didn't play to a state championship back then they don't have any state titles in their case from those years but it's still quite a feat.   If you look at the dynasty table mentioned in the post above, you'll find Hull-Daisetta at #1 on quite a few of the rankings.

Another Oldie that most people probably don't remember would be Tom Dennis who was at the helm at TJ from 1926-1945.  During his tenure he got TJ both of their 2 state titles they ever won, 3 state championship appearances, 5 state semifinal appearances.  Had an all-time win-loss record of 162-48-19.

Durley's best season ever as head coach wasn't even the 1982 West Brook state championship team, it was the Beaumont Hebert 15-0-0 1976 State Championship team.  Durley took over from Ozen in 1975 at Hebert and then continued on at West Brook after the merger until he passed away in the early 80's.

Yeah. I was trying to find his record to back up my nomination and couldn't find it.

Yeah. I was trying to find his record to back up my nomination and couldn't find it.

Alex Durley

97-13-3

1975 Hebert 8-2-0

1976 Hebert 15-0-0

1977 Hebert 8-2-0

1978 Hebert 9-1-1

1979 Hebert 13-1-0

1980 Hebert 9-1-1

1981 Hebert 13-1-0

1982 West Brook 11-4-1

1983 West Brook 11-1-0

Mount Rushmore, huh? Well, I have to nominate this for "The most over-the-top thread", ever.  ;D

The purpose of this thread was to get some more "ancient" history of SE Texas football on this site...

Most of the members are of the "younger" generation, and I don't think they know how important the Nederland dynasty of the 50's or the PNG dynasty of the 70's were for this part of the state, as well as other teams mentioned by WOS87 post....

Not trying to make "spite" of the coaches, just trying to dig out some history...

THANKS WOS87 FOR YOU POST...

Was very interesting

IF your including local guys total coaching achievements, not just HS records, then yes Bum belongs, along with Jimmy Johnson, RC Slocum, Wade Phillips and maybe an honorable mention Greg Davis. 

I didnt see the must be retired rule.

Once Barbay retires, he has to be included in this list.  Here are some of his numbers.  They may be off some, but I'm sure WOS87 could correct them.

Overall Record  284-86-6

Two State Championships 98,05 (One as the OC in 74)

Playoff Record 38-28-2

5 Undefeated regual seasons 77,78,81,87,05

14 Ten win seasons

22 District Championships

The reason why I thought it would be best to put retired coaches is that you must be retired to be in a "hall of fame" and that it would not involve current programs in the mix.  Just from the posts in this thread hopefully we have all become aware of some coaches that we haven't heard of...

I think (in no particular order) these three are in...

Obviously Hooks will replace one of these when he retires, and maybe even Barbay...

Bum (coached and led the Bulldogs to a state championship during the golden age of Bulldog football, would later become an NFL icon)

Ethridge (led the Indians to an unprecendented 4 straight semifinal appearances with two of those years making it to the state title game.  No other program in this part of the state had a fan following like PNG did during those 4 years (much less in the state), also the tradition Ethridge fostered is still present today.  A great coach leaves a winning tradition far after he leaves the school.)

Durley  (you can not underestimate the signifigance of West Brook winning state during their first year in existence.  Plus another state championship at Hebert puts him on the list)

WOS87 is comtemplating his top four...

Will be interesting to see how he places the great coaches fromt he past in SE Texas...

Just wondering...

WOS87...

How did Lincoln do when Little Joe was at Lincoln, and was he coached by his dad???

So long ago but if I remember correctly, Lincoln won district either two or three years in a row. That was when Little Joe was playing and also his younger brother Kenny who was the quarterback. Lincoln did not have a lot of success after the Washingon brothers left.

Is there any love for Coach Wozniak from LCM?  His head would look nice...sculpted with a screaming face and veins showing in the neck.  I mean, when it comes to all time great coaches at LCM, he's the man.  I hear the school is planning a Woz bobble head promotion at homecoming this year. 

:D

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124