**WALT MANGAN FROM 3A KEMP NEW HF HC/AD**

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A district that is hurting for money and can not offer certin classes and sub-standard equipment because there is no money. And the entire boys athletic program has been on the decline for the past 5 years add soccer to the school without an Athletic Director.There should have been input from the new Coach, looks like this is geared to certin friends of the powers that be. This should tell the future Coach/AD what is ahead.GOOD LUCK TO THE NEW COACH HE WILL NEED IT.

I have to agree with you on this one!!!! You hit the nail right on the the head.

Guest car ramrod

Flyfish, the administration has been asked for the release of the names using the information act.  I believe the administration's reply was fill out the proper paperwork and then they would release the names.  It is not as simple as ask them and they will tell.

Guest teddy

Swat and swim:

I can assure you from talking with Walt and hearing the things he has been through in Kemp in his two year stint can not be compared to anywhere, every district has problems, everyone of them. A winning athletic program has as much to do with attitude as anything. Go online and see the history of Kemp over the last 20-30 years and the history of H-F during the same time and you may see what I'm talking about. If kids at H-F have the right attitude about winning and the desire to do what it takes to compete and sacrifice for winning then they will compete with the bigger schools in the district and Walt Mangan can help make that happen. But as a coach, with no where near the years and professional experience as many, a winning program takes time and more than one individual, or AD. It will take the efforts and attitudes of many coaches and most everyone else in the community not just the AD. I obviously wont change your thoughts in Walt's 1-9 record in 2006 so I will stop trying but I will repeat, the guy has won a heck of alot of games in his career and has proven he has something in his nature that has made winning common in his career so please dont judge his background or bash his career for one season look at all 16 years and maybe it will help. Good luck to Walt, H-F will be a better place with Walt coaching there whether AD or not, period. Call me I will come work for you anytime, so will many others.

Guest Kelly Football

Teddy how can Kemp be a worse situation than this district H-F is in?  Since you brought it up.  Hamshire don't need a 1-9 coach they need someone who can turn things around in a tough 3a district someone who knows what there getting into.  H-F has won at other sports in the district. It's time to get back to winning football.  Since you brought it up.

Surely your smarter that that?? It's not always the coaching!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest teddy

By the way since I havent been able to get a hold of Walt the last few days is he officially one of the finalists??? Or is all this talk a waste?? I two want to wish both finalists the best of luck as well.

Guest BLADE

THEY VOTED IN SOCCER AT THE LAST BOARD MEETING. YES, SOCCER.  WHAT'S NEXT....LACROSSE? A SMALL 3A THAT IS ALREADY STRAPPED FOR MONEY? OBVIOUSLY THIS WILL GIVE SOME OF THE BOARD MEMBERS KIDS WHO ARE NOT GOOD ENOUGH ATHLETES TO COMPETE IN ANTHING ELSE SOMETHING TO DO! THEY NEED TO SPEND MONEY ON THEIR EXISTING FACILITIES.

http://www.panews.com/daverogers/local_story_129223540.html?keyword=topstory

H-F’s new coach knows highs, lows of prep programs

Dave Rogers’ column for Thursday, May 10

The Port Arthur News

To put it in only slightly exaggerated terms, in the wide range of athletic programs in the state of Texas, Walt Mangan went from the penthouse to the outhouse two years ago.

Mangan, 42, seemingly had it made as a well-liked longtime assistant coach at perennial Class 4A powerhouse Brenham. But in order to realize his goal of becoming an athletic director and head football coach, the San Antonio native hired on at Kemp, a small Class 3A school about 45 miles southeast of Dallas.

After being hired late Tuesday night as Hamshire-Fannett’s new athletic director/football coach, he admitted running a competitive all-around program in tough District 21-3A will be challenging, but nothing like what he battled in Kemp.

“I don’t know much about (Hamshire-Fannett) except that the attitude of winning has been there. They may be down now, but at least the community itself has experienced a lot of success in the past,†he said. “At Kemp, they didn’t know what winning was like.â€

Kemp’s football team hadn’t been to the playoffs since 1998 when Mangan arrived. It still hasn’t. But the Yellowjackets, who had won just four games in three years, were 6-14 in Mangan’s two seasons at the helm.

They were 5-5 and missed the playoffs by one game his first year there.

The doubters out there who wonder if Mangan was the best of the 60-plus applicants for the job point to last fall’s 1-9 football record. Those who pulled the trigger on hiring him, looked at his overall impact at Kemp, not to mention his 14 years at Brenham.

He was head coach of the Cub-ettes softball team at Brenham for 11 seasons and led them to one state championship (1996), one state runnerup finish (2000) and a third state-tourney trip (2002). Brenham’s football team lost in the 2002 state championship game.

Besides Kemp’s playoff drought in football, which goes back to when current Brenham head coach Glen West was Yellowjacket head coach, the Region II school hadn’t won district in basketball for 31 years and its baseball team hadn’t won district in 15 years.

The Kemp basketball team won district the first year Mangan was AD, then made it to the regional tournament this past winter. The baseball team won district in April.

And girls sports?

“Their girls’ program was almost non-existent,†Mangan says. “They had 40 girls total in athletics in the high school, only eight playing basketball. They had never won a district softball game.

“This year we had 25 girls playing high school basketball on two teams and the softball team was one win away from making the playoffs. Our junior high programs won about every district championship this past year.

“In Kemp, I learned the other side of it. At Brenham, I’d been involved in so many winning programs. It helped to understand and appreciate the good things having to work so hard to be competitive.â€

Hamshire-Fannett must look like a piece of cake. The Longhorns have been in the playoffs twice this decade. And most of their other sports teams have been in the playoffs since the football team’s last appearance in 2003.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83