**Week 6 SETXsports.com Top 10**

You might wan to copy and paste a genreic statement like that every week.  Seems like you are having do explain every time a new ranking poll comes out.

Rankings, smankings.    Some are ranked at the beginning of the season and some are not ranked at all. 

Maybe we should have a 162 game season.  ???  Play ball gentlemen.  Let the poll be what it is.  A gathering of great minds who gather evidence and opinions to create a general consensus ranking of the data. 

Also,  how many districts, areas or even a regions for that matter even have a ranking???    I for one am glad we have this site. 

Keep up the good work fellas.  I think you guys are dead on for each week.  Who knows, it may even make these young men play better!!  ;)

Sorry, had to get it off my chest.  No I have to go after the umpire bashers.. ;D

1.  Again, the reasoning of 'who beat who' is an imperfect logic that leads to the proverbial 'dog chasing his tail' analogy.  It also calls into play the circumstances of each game, etc.  For example, PNG did defeat BH (although PNG threw their ace in a non-district game and BH did not).  WB defeated PNG.  BH defeated WB (again, BH threw their ace and WB did not).  PNG did defeat Sterling (in a non-district game where Sterling threw their #3) and Sterling did defeat WB (in a district game, at home, in the bottom of the 7th).  Of course, Ozen defeated WB and, as the dog chases its tail, maybe the Panthers should be #1????

2.  The rankings try to take into account a number of things:  who's hot?  how are they doing in district?  what classification are they?  It is subjective and tries to take into account a lot of different things.  For example:

(a)  BH is also #1 in Greater Houston 4A.  On the other hand, LCM is ranked ahead of PNG in the same poll; however, PNG is undefeated in district...LCM is not.  Currently, BH's district is weaker but you cannot ignore that the Eagles are kicking the tar out of everyone they run across.  They also played a very competitive non-district schedule and their losses have all been legitimate ones.

(B)  PNG played .500 ball pre-district.  That turned out to be a 'master stroke' by Jay Stone as they have run the table so far in district (although it wasn't such a 'master stroke' last year).  Nederland tried the same strategy and have stumbled badly.  The Indians' district run overshadows their pre-district mediocrity.

©  Silsbee got moved ahead of BC, not just because of the 1 win over the Cards but because the Tigers are now a slight favorite to win that district due to the schedule.  Jasper and BC still have 2 games left so there is a lot of fighting to do there.

(d)  WB has lost 2 district games but it is in one of the more competitive 5A districts in the State.  They are also the most talented team hands down in the area from an offensive and defensive standpoint.  Their weakness, however, is pitching.  They do not have that commanding 'ace' that other teams have.  They need to score the 10 runs per game they are averaging right now.

3.  The rankings do not necessarily reflect the best team in the area in terms of who may go further in the playoffs.  Any team could get hot and, sometimes, pitching depth is more prominent in a 3 game series than during district play.

Please excuse my ramblings...its just not as simple as 'who beat who' at any given time.  Name a team and I (or someone else on the board) could make a convincing argument to move them up (or down, or out of) the Top Ten.

'Nuff said... 

Hey MIF  just to let you know  when PNG beat Sterling  Sterling threw there #1 pitcher  and they still rocked him

Cervenka is not Sterlings #1  in fact I think he has left the rotation, in district, do to control problems.......just like he had against PNG in about the 4th inning  think he finished with 6 walkes in those aprox 4in........as far as the comments......... PNG took WB into extra innings....that doen't leave you much room to be talkin..................Good luck to both the Tribe and the Brook......I hope both end up being reps for our area in the playoffs!!!

Cervenka has become Sterling's #3 in district.  Dempsay is their #1 and Pitkin is their #2.  While I may not agree with Tadlock's decision, that is still the way it is working.  Also, Cervenka did start on the hill last Tuesday for Sterling, throwing very well in a 9-2 win.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami