Donahoe too much for Wylie

CLASS 3A CHAMPIONSHIP

Donahoe too much for Wylie

Guard fuels Hardin-Jefferson's comeback victory

AUSTIN - During the postseason, Hardin-Jefferson refused to go away quietly.

Even when the Hawks faced double-digit deficits and it seemed the breaks were going against them, they believed.

Saturday was no different, and their perseverance was rewarded with a state title.

Led by a stellar performance from senior guard Ryan Donahoe, the Hawks recovered from a 13-point deficit to defeat Abilene Wylie 56-44 in the Class 3A state championship before 11,415 at the Erwin Center.

It was the fourth time the Hawks (38-4) overcame a double-digit deficit in the playoffs. It's the school's third title and first since 1991.

"We're immune to this," Donahoe said of facing large deficits. "It's truly about who wants it the most, and I think the second half showed that we wanted it the most."

Donahoe, the game's most valuable player, finished with 27 points on 10-of-22 shooting and five rebounds. He scored 18 points in the second half and helped lead a 34-9 charge spanning the second, third and fourth quarters to put Hardin-Jefferson in control.

It was all Wylie in the first 10 minutes. The Bulldogs (33-4) took a 10-0 lead after a putback by senior center Cory Davis with 4:42 remaining in the first quarter. After a layup by Wylie senior forward Matt Smith with 5:51 to go in the second quarter, the Bulldogs (33-4) led 26-13. The Hawks closed the gap to five with a 10-2 run to end the first half.

The Hawks didn't obtain their first lead until 3:42 of the third quarter, when Donahoe scored on a layup while being fouled on his way to the basket. The play was part of an 18-3 run the Hawks used over a span of 8:34 between the third and fourth quarters.

I am so proud of these boys! And as I was telling someone earlier, I really wasn't as excited as I had hoped I would be after the win. It's almost like I expected it of them, and would have just been extremely upset if they would have lost. Don't get me wrong, I am VERY excited, and I think I will be a little more excited once we get back to school next Monday, but all of these boys have so much talent, I definatley just expected one more win out of them!! There was NO way those boys were going to lose!

Congratulations Hawks!! :) :)

donahoe is not the best player in the area....if any team was as smart as silsbee they would realize all they have to do is put their teams best defender on donahoe and let him go to work shutting him down then they would win....the only and like forreal the only reason hj beat silsbee 2 times is because  the refrees got silsbees best defender(william harper) in foul trouble both times.....when harper is on donahoe...he dont do anything.....

Maybe he is the best if that is the threory that you have to use to shut him down.  The only times this year that he has been shut down is when he has had 2 and 3 people guarding him.  Sounds like you are bitter about losing to HJ.  BTW Harper foulded out with less tahn 2 minutes remaining in OT of the Regional Final.

Quit whinning!!!!!!

Oh BTW another website posted today that he is SE Texas MVP!!!!!

donahoe is not the best player in the area....if any team was as smart as silsbee they would realize all they have to do is put their teams best defender on donahoe and let him go to work shutting him down then they would win....the only and like forreal the only reason hj beat silsbee 2 times is because  the refrees got silsbees best defender(william harper) in foul trouble both times.....when harper is on donahoe...he dont do anything.....

Why can't people just be happy for Ryan??  I really don't understand it?? Let him soak up the glory!! It's not everyday that you get voted MVP of a STATE CHAMPIONSHIP!

Dang, sore losers sure do know how to ruin the moment!

Why can't people just be happy for Ryan??  I really don't understand it?? Let him soak up the glory!! It's not everyday that you get voted MVP of a STATE CHAMPIONSHIP!

Dang, sore losers sure do know how to ruin the moment!

Hey just cause your team didnt win state doesnt mean you have to go and wine about it!!!

Ryan Donahoe is the best player in Southeast Texas, period!!! He is the difference between HJ winning state and Silsbee winning state, no question.

Yes, the Tigers did get in foul trouble in the regional final game, but that is just Silsbee's style, they do foul alot. Most very athletic teams do. I don't think the refs had anything to do with it except for if they called a loose game that would have been more of an advantage to the Tigers. But they didn't, and you just have to adjust to it. I'm a Silsbee Tiger, but I feel the better team won.

If my memory serves me right, William Harper broke Ryan's nose and he still scored 20+ pts. against Silsbee and that was with William Harper guarding him.  He is an exceptional player and you are a player hater!!!! It's over....Get over it and move on. :-*

ok check this out yall.....in both games harper had 3 fouls in the 2nd quarter and sat out all of the 2nd and most of the third...and thats when donahoe went off....the refs cheat for hj everytime...they are not as good as people think...it sounds stupi because they won the state chapionship....but really they are not.....and yea harper broke that cats nose and yall act like he went off after that...he scored 6 points after he had his nose broken.....and another thing....donahoe only having 19 points means someone shut him down...so yall get yallz facts straight

ok check this out yall.....in both games harper had 3 fouls in the 2nd quarter and sat out all of the 2nd and most of the third...and thats when donahoe went off....the refs cheat for hj everytime...they are not as good as people think...it sounds stupi because they won the state chapionship....but really they are not.....and yea harper broke that cats nose and yall act like he went off after that...he scored 6 points after he had his nose broken.....and another thing....donahoe only having 19 points means someone shut him down...so yall get yallz facts straight

Well, at least one of your facts is the truth.

Not only do you sound stupid, but you are stupid if you think 19 pts is holding someone. I guess the all the refs cheated for HJ(Huntsville, Houston, and Austin)  because I think that since that 1 game in Silsbee, HJ went undefeated.  That would be how many games that the refs cheated?  GET OFF THE GAS!!!!!

HARDIN-JEFFERSON 2007 STATE CHAMPS[move][/move]

http://

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    newyourk01
    Newest Member
    newyourk01