U Mad Bro?

Guest Aledoalumni

It's odd the different ways folks look at this. We have been trashed for years for running up the score when in all truthfulness it was always the second and third strings that were just getting a chance to play. 

Friday night against Melissa we had 1st down and goal on the 1 yard line with 3 minutes to go and a 55-6 lead. Coach Turner called timeout and called the kids over. We ended up kneeling 4 plays in a row and actually gave Melissa the ball back with a minute to go. Evidently the Melissa coach appreciated it because they kneeled the last 2 plays to run out the clock. So the last 3 minutes of the game where 6 plays and all kneel downs.

Guest Aledoalumni
2 hours ago, losteraussie said:

It's odd the different ways folks look at this. We have been trashed for years for running up the score when in all truthfulness it was always the second and third strings that were just getting a chance to play. 

Friday night against Melissa we had 1st down and goal on the 1 yard line with 3 minutes to go and a 55-6 lead. Coach Turner called timeout and called the kids over. We ended up kneeling 4 plays in a row and actually gave Melissa the ball back with a minute to go. Evidently the Melissa coach appreciated it because they kneeled the last 2 plays to run out the clock. So the last 3 minutes of the game where 6 plays and all kneel downs.

If Melissa wanted to take a knee on the goal line and just run down the clock then cant really disagree with their thinking. But as a kid on the team who practices against the starters and puts in the work I would want to play. Kneeling the ball because the other team cant stop you kinda penalizes the kids in a way. If you rotate the kids in and still are dominating then it is what it is. Calling run plays and still scoring shouldnt be taken as running up the score. It should be seen as one team just being better. I think Coach Wood handled that situation the right way. He is a really good guy and I am proud to have played for him. Having said that if the Grapevine coach, who is rebuilding that program, still was upset then I would have calmly said that if he didnt like us scoring then he has every right to put 11 players on the field to stop us. We ran a simple run play with our 3rd rb (who is really good) and scored. He had great blocking and just outran the defense.