UIL to send preseason 5A split to referendum

WOSgrad

4 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

You say that because you're a WOS fan. People said the same thing about George Ranch. GR won the 5A-D1 state title game 56-0 last year, they were 41-3 over the last three seasons playing nothing but 6A's in non-district play and had only lost one of those games the last three years. Their first year in 6A when they have to play those teams every week they're 4-3 with losses by 14, 17 and 28. Their last two games in district play are against Pearland and 7-0 Alief Taylor. Completely different situation having to get up for one of those games any given night versus having to grind though them every given night which is why you rarely see the good teams schedule down.    

My bulldogs got hammered by GR but after I saw the state title score, didn't feel so  bad about only hanging 30 points on the state champs. Agree or not I believe it came down to solid coaching, yes we got spanked but geez it was only the second round of the playoffs and was able to post some TDs, not get shutout of the state game lol 

Following the model of the 1A-4A schools there are a few schools that get left on geographical islands.  Assuming that the UIL splits the schools evenly that would leave San Angelo Lake View(Region 1) all alone with the closest 5AD2 opponent at Kerville Tivy(Region 4).  Waco University, Bryan Rudder, Bastrop, Bastrop Cedar Creek, Elgin, Brenham and Tomball kind of all are to far apart to all be in the same district but where do they go?

11 hours ago, drewlsu said:

I'm for it. 

Yes, twice as many teams would make the playoffs and districts would be smaller,  but ultimately, the best teams will be the ones in the regional finals and beyond.  I don't see more football as a bad thing, even if the first couple rounds of the playoffs are a little watered down. 

How you figure twice as many teams get in?

There are 32 total 5A districts with four from each in playoffs. Thats 128 teams (64 go D1 and 64 go D2). Same was in the old 3A before.

There are now 16 total districts in 4A D1 with four from each in playoffs. Thats 64. 

And 16 total districts in 4A D2 with four from each in playoffs. Thats 64. 

So 128 total playoff teams in 4A. 

128 total playoff teams in 5A. 

Theres no additional money being made by UIL. 

7 minutes ago, Javelina said:

Following the model of the 1A-4A schools there are a few schools that get left on geographical islands.  Assuming that the UIL splits the schools evenly that would leave San Angelo Lake View(Region 1) all alone with the closest 5AD2 opponent at Kerville Tivy(Region 4).  Waco University, Bryan Rudder, Bastrop, Bastrop Cedar Creek, Elgin, Brenham and Tomball kind of all are to far apart to all be in the same district but where do they go?

The strain on travel budgets is one of the bigger reasons that I have problems with the split.  Both 21 and 22-5A currently have pretty cozy districts travel wise (yes, with the exception of Livingston).  While a split wouldn't yield the extreme results that Javelina, those in 22-5A that complain about the Livingston trip would get to add trips to New Caney, Humble and Conroe to their routine, others traveling to Mont Belvieu, Dayton, Crosby and Splendora.  And for 21-5A, multiple trips to the Triangle would be in order.

If you don't think that is a big deal, schedule a meeting with your coach just after he gets the athletic department budget.

3 hours ago, WOSgrad said:

The strain on travel budgets is one of the bigger reasons that I have problems with the split.  Both 21 and 22-5A currently have pretty cozy districts travel wise (yes, with the exception of Livingston).  While a split wouldn't yield the extreme results that Javelina, those in 22-5A that complain about the Livingston trip would get to add trips to New Caney, Humble and Conroe to their routine, others traveling to Mont Belvieu, Dayton, Crosby and Splendora.  And for 21-5A, multiple trips to the Triangle would be in order.

If you don't think that is a big deal, schedule a meeting with your coach just after he gets the athletic department budget.

This isnt related but have there been updates to the state rankings? I would like to know where we stand 

35 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

PN-G dropped out of the Old Coach and didn't get any votes in the AP rankings.

They dropped to #25 in the DCTF poll.

I don't really care about the rankings since they don't mean much but how do you drop completely out of rankings when you were tied for 16th with the team that beat you and they get bumped up 4 spots?

10 hours ago, WOSgrad said:

Verses what? Baytown Lee and GCM in the district along with Livingston? Being from SE TX, we're gonna have to travel. The other side of the Trinity river ain't that far. Cedar Park was the 5A Div.2 Champion last year with an enrollment of 1996. How is that a level playing field? You guys from WOS are spoiled because of the professional factory you have there. Again, I'm talking the average of teams, not the exceptions. You keep the schools within 500 - 600 kids of each other and the playing field is level. Lower the bottom number to 1000 you bring in LCM, Huffman, and have Jasper and Silsbee on the bubble. One thing I can admit is that there is still a sore spot from a very good Vidor team having to play a 6A Humble Summer Creek in the playoffs 2012. I'm being honest. Teams in west Texas along with the lower classifications do it all the time...we can too.

9 hours ago, robanadana said:

BTW, we here at XOM will do our level best to keep diesel prices down for all those school buses.

Well, we here at XOM would like nothing more than those diesel prices to go back up. I'm sure you're close to retirement age so I don't see how low stock prices would benefit you? The more money we make the more money can be taxed back into the school system which is a greater benefit than the diesel costs. We've already done our part by building low-sulphur diesel units around the circuit to help farming cost. The last thing we need, even if it helps with school travel, is for diesel prices to continue to go/stay down. Sounds to me like some of the SETX schools might need to look into fundraisers if the UIL decides to split the classes.    

5 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Well, we here at XOM would like nothing more than those diesel prices to go back up. I'm sure you're close to retirement age so I don't see how low stock prices would benefit you? The more money we make the more money can be taxed back into the school system which is a greater benefit than the diesel costs. We've already done our part by building low-sulphur diesel units around the circuit to help farming cost. The last thing we need, even if it helps with school travel, is for diesel prices to continue to go/stay down. Sounds to me like some of the SETX schools might need to look into fundraisers if the UIL decides to split the classes.    

I guess that totally depends on what facility you work at. We're poor over here in the real southeast Texas; not like you high flying Baytown guys. Heritage Pegasus....and yes sir, you are correct. Within one year.

58 minutes ago, robanadana said:

I guess that totally depends on what facility you work at. We're poor over here in the real southeast Texas; not like you high flying Baytown guys. Heritage Pegasus....and yes sir, you are correct. Within one year.

I recently got back from the Joliet facility which was also heritage Mobil and you sound just like those guys, smh. Fact of the matter is that if your community and administration want your kids to be competitive in extracurricular activities they'll find a way to get it done. The poor schools in the "real" SETX would be at no greater disadvantage than the inner-city type schools from the metro areas around the state. I'm sure if the UIL sees is as a large enough problem we'll stick with the current system.