New Caney 48 Dayton 26/FINAL

WOSgrad

3 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

The years Stew had elite talent are the years he did his best work though. Dayton didn't have that kind of talent when you graduated and barely made the playoffs because of it, even though in the '00 season he still had kids like Lamar Mitchell on the roster. That was over 15 years ago, since then the game has changed. Dayton was notorious for playing kids both ways under Stewart, back then when it was mostly run-based offenses it worked. Crosby fans always complained that we didn't play kids both ways but "Dayton puts their best players on the field" and that's why we lost. They did it all the way down to the middle school level. What it did while you were winning with the studs is under-develop a whole generation of kids though.

Now the studs are gone and even though you have more kids playing there's not a bunch of football depth that I saw Friday night. My son played against Dayton's freshman team last year and I think I counted Dayton playing 18 kids total. The kids that are studs in 7th grade in Dayton are the same ones that they lean on in 12th grade, nobody ever emerges due to player development. For instance, Dayton's qb #8 would probably be a D1 level receiver in Crosby. #1 and #7 would also, instead he's just a big kid who runs soft and all his deficiencies are highlighted by the bad/predictable the play-calling.  

There might have been more winning going on at other schools in SETX but Stewart was the best coach in the area given his situation IMO. Now instead of the best coach in the area Dayton probably has the 5th best coach in the district to go with an enrollment that's getting left behind. I know it probably isn't a popular thing to say but with all the talented guys that were clamoring for the Dayton job this offseason it's amazing y'all ended up with the guy y'all did. As you can see with Porter and BH it doesn't take long for the right guy to turn it around, they're taking schools that have been missing the playoffs for several years and making them relevant. The guy Dayton hired is going to take a team that was already relevant with a 20+ year playoff streak and go the other way with it.        

I was on that 2000 team and I was one of the guys who played both ways lol.  Nation coached me the year before that also I know how he coaches and I know his worth.  My son is a sophomore on the JV He didn't play with them last year due to us being out of state.  Nation has a plan trust me

28 minutes ago, Bronco1983 said:

I was on that 2000 team and I was one of the guys who played both ways lol.  Nation coached me the year before that also I know how he coaches and I know his worth.  My son is a sophomore on the JV He didn't play with them last year due to us being out of state.  Nation has a plan trust me

I don't doubt he has a plan, I'm sure Clayton Maple had a plan when he took over at Kingwood Park too. The question is, is his plan better than the four guys he's trying to catch in the district? New Caney is transfer central, they've literally cherry-picked the most talented players off their respective teams. Their new stud qb came from Caney Creek last year to replace their other stud transfer qb, their stud wr came from Kingwood Park to replace their other stud transfer wr who's at Nevada now and their stud rb is from St. Pius X and will go D1. Pennington knew he didn't have the homegrown players at NC yet so his plan is to acquire talent by any means legal.

Riordan already had the best players in the district when he showed up at Crosby, now he's put the offseason program and certain "expectations" in place to the point where it's shocking for Crosby to lose to any unranked teams before the playoffs.

Part of Westeberg's plan at BH also started with the offseason program, the other part is to let his team score 40+ every week and give them the confidence to think they can play with anybody. Once he gets some players BH will be tough to deal with but you can see the genesis of his plan. 

It didn't take long for any of these guys to do this. Halfway through the season I think you have to ask what Nations' plan actually is? Dayton was supposed to fix the defense with this hire but it's just as bad or maybe even worse. Dayton used to have one of the most potent offenses around, regardless of personnel. Now they have the best personnel I can remember since Green and Dugat but the offense has gotten worse, they execute like a freshman squad.

I'm not saying all those things can't be fixed by Friday night but the way this guy was hyped coming in you would think none of those problems would even be an issue in the first place. The guy could realistically be 2-6 in a few weeks. As much as I love Dayton and BH losing, I have to admit it's a little unrewarding watching a member of the purple triangle struggle.   

1 hour ago, Cougar14.2 said:

I don't doubt he has a plan, I'm sure Clayton Maple had a plan when he took over at Kingwood Park too. The question is, is his plan better than the four guys he's trying to catch in the district? New Caney is transfer central, they've literally cherry-picked the most talented players off their respective teams. Their new stud qb came from Caney Creek last year to replace their other stud transfer qb, their stud wr came from Kingwood Park to replace their other stud transfer wr who's at Nevada now and their stud rb is from St. Pius X and will go D1. Pennington knew he didn't have the homegrown players at NC yet so his plan is to acquire talent by any means legal.

Riordan already had the best players in the district when he showed up at Crosby, now he's put the offseason program and certain "expectations" in place to the point where it's shocking for Crosby to lose to any unranked teams before the playoffs.

Part of Westeberg's plan at BH also started with the offseason program, the other part is to let his team score 40+ every week and give them the confidence to think they can play with anybody. Once he gets some players BH will be tough to deal with but you can see the genesis of his plan. 

It didn't take long for any of these guys to do this. Halfway through the season I think you have to ask what Nations' plan actually is? Dayton was supposed to fix the defense with this hire but it's just as bad or maybe even worse. Dayton used to have one of the most potent offenses around, regardless of personnel. Now they have the best personnel I can remember since Green and Dugat but the offense has gotten worse, they execute like a freshman squad.

I'm not saying all those things can't be fixed by Friday night but the way this guy was hyped coming in you would think none of those problems would even be an issue in the first place. The guy could realistically be 2-6 in a few weeks. As much as I love Dayton and BH losing, I have to admit it's a little unrewarding watching a member of the purple triangle struggle.   

I truly believe we will be fine.  If I didn't truly believe in nation or the program or I would be gone