West Hardin--Elk. Slocum Predictions

WHFAN

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Slocum scored about 40 points against Bosqueville last night.  If they get the slightest lead they will try to pull everyone out as far away from the basket as possible and drive on you one on one after numerous passes.  15-20 point victory is a pretty good predicatoin for this game.

OK, i think i may be the only person on this board thats seen Slocum several times in person (maybe a few others have seen them before) so i think i am one of the few that comment on this game having seen both teams, although i only saw West Hardin once.  First off, nobody calls them Elkhart Slocum, just Slocum.  Here is all the notable victories for Slocum this year:

Mount Enterprise (2nd place in 20-1A)

Lapoyner (3rd place team in a tough 19-1A district with Martins Mill and Cayuga, they were ranked 13th in state at the time)

Lovelady (tied them for 2nd in 22-1A)

Latexo twice (they won 22-1A last year with same team, they would make the playoffs in 24-1A)

Neches twice, one of the by 20 pts (1st place 24-1A div II)

Wells by 27 pts (3rd place 24-1A div II)

Elkhart by 20 pts (2A)

Central Heights (2A)

They lost to Grapeland AT Grapeland by 3, they were winning the whole game and lost it at the end.  Grapeland won 24-1A and is ranked 16th on TABC.  Grapeland will likely be West Hardins opponent in the next round if they win this game and will be very tough game for them next round. 

Slocum is a young team, their best player is a sophomore.  They arent big, but they play hard defense and are scrappy.  They do have a number of guards that can shoot it from the outside.  They are well coached and play hard.  Money 431 said in an earlier post that they like to spread you out if they get a lead which is true only sometimes though, it depends on the matchup.  I've seen entire games they dont run a spread offense.  Slocum had a tough district in 24-1A, tougher than 22-1A, because they didnt have any teams like Evadale or Sabine Pass that were easy wins in their district, every game was a battle.  They finished the year winning 5 of their last 6 games, only losing to only Grapeland in that stretch, so they finished the year strong and peaked at the right time.  They will play hard and give West Hardin all they can handle, so WH better not take them lightly.  If they have an off night or dont play hard Slocum is very capable of winning this game.  All that said, West Hardin does have a better overall team and Letsinger is the best player on the floor.  I'll put West Hardin as a 10 pt favorite.

Guys, it kills me not to be able to be there, but I'll be wearing my playoff shirt tomorrow and thinking of you!!!  Kate and I are your biggest fans! :)  ALL THE WAY TO AUSTIN!!!  JCFan, sportsmom3, WHM, hssportsfan, etc....scream for me, okay?!

I bought airhorns today!  I will definitely make some noise for you and Kate!

It’s Saratoga West Hardin vs. Elkhart Slocum.

No one calls either of them by that though.  A lot of 1A and 2A schools are made up of 2 or more towns that combine to make one school district or are so small they use larger towns for their address.  Saratoga, Batson, Thicket, and Votaw make up West Hardin.  People that live in Slocum have Elkhart, TX for their addresses.  Tarkington is the same way.  They are considered Cleveland Tarkington by UIL because they all have Cleveland addresses.  But no one calls them that.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kinghoyn
    Newest Member
    kinghoyn