Explanation And Education...

smitty

If I remember correctly, ISIL represents a smaller element, whereas ISIS represents a bigger stronger reach. I believe it has something to do with overall area in which they control.....saying ISIL it like the JV team as ISIS is Varsity....I'll look to see  if I can find the original articles explaining the difference

Not sure my memory was 100% correct, but here it is.

This is the hidden content, please

ISIS: The militant group, which began as the Iraqi branch of al Qaeda during the U.S. occupation, gained this name after it invaded Syria in 2013. ISIS is short for "Islamic State in Iraq and Syria," or "Islamic State of Iraq and al-Sham," which is an old Arabic term for the area.

ISIL: ISIL translates to “Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant.” The Levant is a geographical term that refers to the eastern shore of the Mediterranean -- Syria, Lebanon, Palestine, Israel and Jordan. It’s the term the U.S. government uses since the "Levant" is apparently a better translation for al-Sham, the Arabic name for the region.

As hard as it is, my memory was quite the opposite of what ISIS and ISIL stand for, I must admit the President using ISIL is more accurate.

Edited by CraigS