Dumb arse helps a pair of prisoners escape

TVC.......

He was shot in the back......twice......while running unarmed......I get why it was done, and I agree with it......BUT

I didn't think a cop could shoot an unarmed man in the back running away......He was obviously not in  fear of his life....was it because he escaped?

​Each state has their own laws however I will quote TX law as a comparison. The mere fact that a person is escaping is almost deemed as justification for deadly force. I work with several officers that that worked for the TX prison system (TDCJ) and they were told that if they see a person going over the wire or already out, to fire one warning shot (not required by law) and then the second shots puts the person down for good. Escape from prison in itself is a deadly force potential. That is why they have guns on the guard towers... it is not just for show. In this case we have a guy that is still trying to escape and in fact is in prison for life for killing a police officer. I am going to guess that by NY law (like similar to TX), unless the guy immediately gets on the ground when ordered by a guard or police officer, deadly force is usually authorized. The officers can't just murder them but can use deadly force to prevent escape by law. 

Sec. 9.52. PREVENTION OF ESCAPE FROM CUSTODY. The use of force to prevent the escape of an arrested person from custody is justifiable when the force could have been employed to effect the arrest under which the person is in custody, except that a guard employed by a correctional facility or a peace officer is justified in using any force, including deadly force, that he reasonably believes to be immediately necessary to prevent the escape of a person from the correctional facility.