Best Select Basketball organization in this area? New 6'4 8th grader in the area

jhallow82

My family and I just moved here from Florida and I have a very talented 8th grade son who is 6'4 and can flat out play. I have talked to a couple of people at his school and I've heard about Team Sneed, Houston Defenders, and setx heat. Some good things and bad things about them. I heard about this website and would like to know which organization to go with. I do not trust just ANYONE with my child because I know how "youth coaches" are. Please give me some helpful input on this subject. 

My family and I just moved here from Florida and I have a very talented 8th grade son who is 6'4 and can flat out play. I have talked to a couple of people at his school and I've heard about Team Sneed, Houston Defenders, and setx heat. Some good things and bad things about them. I heard about this website and would like to know which organization to go with. I do not trust just ANYONE with my child because I know how "youth coaches" are. Please give me some helpful input on this subject.

Brady Byars
409-782-4247
409 Elite formally known as SETX Heat
Get with me and we will discuss everything.

Houston Defenders we are 14 in the country and have a great 8th grade group

Albert Turner (AJ)
409-893-5690

Hands down best 14u team in the area. Loaded at the guard spot and would benefit from additional size though. Also play the best schedule and that isn't even close.

I would encourage you to attend a practice and talk to the parents on the 14u Defenders team. Several have been involved with multiple teams in this area and can tell you why they think the team they are with is the best for their sons.

In addition, AJ does a phenomenal job with those kids. Has no kids in the program but donates his time for the love of the game. 3 out of the 4 kids in this area who signed D1 scholarships last year (class of 2014) played for AJ (Laquarious Paige, Colton Weisbrod, and Mike Zeno). All 3 would give you very strong recommendations about him as well.

Houston Defenders we are 14 in the country and have a great 8th grade group

Albert Turner (AJ)
409-893-5690

14th in the country? Wow. I don't really pay attention to the rankings. They mean nothing honestly. There are thousands of teams that don't participate in certain events or tournaments plus there are kids around the country that haven't even started playing on the circuit. So rankings mean nothing. I want a team that is going to help develop my son and a coach who is in it for the children! Plus, Houston is like 2 and a half hours from where I'm at. I want a team in the Beaumont/Nederland area.

Intresting, no car sales man will sale you a used car and tell you everything about it. People will hype themselves because it's their business they're selling. In the end it should be where you and your child or most comfortable because no program is perfect. I usually pray on things and that works for me. By the way, my kids are track, football and baseball players so I don't have a dog in the hunt but I'm familiar with most of the programs you mentioned. Good luck it can be stressful if you let it.

• 3 weeks later...

14th in the country? Wow. I don't really pay attention to the rankings. They mean nothing honestly. There are thousands of teams that don't participate in certain events or tournaments plus there are kids around the country that haven't even started playing on the circuit. So rankings mean nothing. I want a team that is going to help develop my son and a coach who is in it for the children! Plus, Houston is like 2 and a half hours from where I'm at. I want a team in the Beaumont/Nederland area.

You dont get ranked unless the team is being seen in the right events. So in that sense, the ranking indicates that the Houston Defenders 14U team is on the right circuit. The team is based out of Beaumont and just took first in last weekends RCS Sports Ice Breaker. Give it a look...you can always find a different team if it doesn't work out. You'll know when you're in the right spot. Wish you luck!