Jr high kids and their positions.

BlackShirts5

Don't really know where to put this. So my son plays 7th grade football at the moment. Starts at D-End and RT. He hates offense but loves defense. On defense he lives in the back field. 

his team isn't doing all that well and the other night he told me he hates that he cant do more to help the team and thinks since he plays on the line he wont have a chance to be seen by his high up coaches and college coaches ( of coarse this is for when he is in HS ). We had about an hour talk about how it doesn't matter where you play if you are good and keep doing your job you will get noticed. I told him just because you are not on a great team there may be scouts there to watch other players on the opposing team. If you keep making plays in the back field you will get noticed.

The I was looking yesterday at the ESPN 300 recruiting board. Well 6 of the top 10 are either D-line or O-line. So when I got home I pulled it up and let him take a look at it, told him look at the top 10. What position has the most kids. His eyes lit up and said D-line. I said see you guys get noticed you just have to work a little harder then the rest.

Why is your 12/13 year old worrying about being noticed by scouts. More importantly, why are you? Teach him to love he game, and learn the lessons it can teach (teamwork, toughness, perseverance, etc) That will take him further than the game itself

I am not worried about it.  And he isn't worried like you are thinking.  It was just a simple conversation. Any I think any kid that wants to play at the next levels whether it be High School or college always thinks about stuff like that in the back of their minds. Its natural. This is when it is important for the parent to keep them grounded and working on all of the above you stated.

And outside of football or sports he wants to be a engineer.

• 2 weeks later...
If you want to play at the next level they have to love the game, but you have to start getting ready early....documenting extra curricular involvement, training, etc...there is nothing wrong with thinking about the next level early. Mine wants to play on the next level. Grades are paramount but then we go to camps, he does volunteer work. I'm trying to teach him life skills as well but he wants to go to the next level and I will help him any way I can. He also knows he has to put in the work to get there.