annexation

Big girl

The overthrow of the Kingdom of Hawaii refers to a coup d'état on January 17, 1893, in which anti-monarchical insurgents within the Kingdom of Hawaii, composed largely of United States citizens, engineered the overthrow of its native monarch, QueenLili'uokalani. Hawaii was initially reconstituted as an independent republic, but the ultimate goal of the revolutionaries was the annexation of the islands to the United States, which was finally accomplished in 1898. Does this sound familiar?
Wiki hawaii overthrow.com

The overthrow of the Kingdom of Hawaii refers to a coup d'état on January 17, 1893, in which anti-monarchical insurgents within the Kingdom of Hawaii, composed largely of United States citizens, engineered the overthrow of its native monarch, QueenLili'uokalani. Hawaii was initially reconstituted as an independent republic, but the ultimate goal of the revolutionaries was the annexation of the islands to the United States, which was finally accomplished in 1898. Does this sound familiar?

If you're going where I think you're going with that, you are opening up a can of worms I can guarantee you don't want to get into.

Why don't you elaborate on that? I'm afraid I don't follow your analogy.

I'll have to double up with you. I have no clue either. 

We also took what ended up being most of the western US from Mexico, the country in general from the Indians, Puerto Rico from Spain, Guam from the Japanese and so on. 

I'll have to double up with you. I have no clue either. 

We also took what ended up being most of the western US from Mexico, the country in general from the Indians, Puerto Rico from Spain, Guam from the Japanese and so on. 

Check your PMs.

Winning bidder on Ebay.

:D

That's actually kind of how we got Alaska.

In 1900, Hawaii was granted self-governance and retained Ê»Iolani Palace as the territorial capitol building. Despite several attempts to become a state, Hawaii remained a territory for sixty years.

How is what happened different from the situation in the Ukraine? Is the U.S. the only country that is allowed to do a coup d'eat? Do you agree with what America did?

Maybe it's different because US military forces didn't invade Hawaii first and then have the people decide if they wanted to be an American territory?

Maybe it's different because US military forces didn't invade Hawaii first and then have the people decide if they wanted to be an American territory?

we didnt give them a choice according to what I read. I don't care if your patience is running thin, am I supposed to be afraid?

By the time the United States got serious about looking beyond its own borders to conquer new lands, much of the world had already been claimed. Only a few distant territories in Africa and Asia and remote islands in the Pacific remained free from imperial grasp. Hawaii was one such plum. Led by a hereditary monarch, the inhabitants of the kingdom prevailed as an independent state. American expansionists looked with greed on the strategically located islands and waited patiently to plan their move.
Usahistory.org

Teaching With Documents:
The 1897 Petition Against the Annexation of HawaiiBackground

When the Hawaiian islands were formally annexed by the United States in 1898, the event marked end of a lengthy internal struggle between native Hawaiians and white American businessmen for control of the Hawaiian government. In 1893 the last monarch of Hawaii, Queen Lili'uokalani, was overthrown by party of businessmen, who then imposed a provisional government. Soon after, President Benjamin Harrison submitted a treaty to annex the Hawaiian islands to the U.S. Senate for ratification. In 1897, the treaty effort was blocked when the newly-formed Hawaiian Patriotic League, composed of native Hawaiians, successfully petitioned the U.S. Congress in opposition of the treaty. The League's lobbying efforts left only 46 Senators in favor of the resolution, less than the 2/3 majority needed for approval of a treaty. The League's victory was shortlived, however as unfolding world events soon forced the annexation issue to the fore again. With the explosion of the U.S.S. Maine in February of 1898 signaling the start of the Spanish American War, establishing a mid-Pacific fueling station and naval base became a strategic imperative for the United States. The Hawaiian islands were the clear choice, and this time Congress moved to annex the Hawaiian islands by Joint Resolution, a process requiring only a simple majority in both houses of Congress. On July 12, 1898, the Joint Resolution passed and the Hawaiian islands were officially annexed by the United States.

LINK ABOVE

How is what happened different from the situation in the Ukraine? Is the U.S. the only country that is allowed to do a coup d'eat? Do you agree with what America did?

No. Let's give Hawaii back and strip the US Senate of two Democrat votes and the House of two Democrat votes. 

We can still vacation there as they will need the money after they are stripped of US welfare. 

It is really mind blowing, you have some individuals who were born here in the USA like Big Girl who loathe this country and wish for it's demise.  They take every opportunity to run it down and and claim it is evil and the absolute worst of all nations/empires in the history of the world (is Biggirl really a screen name for Bill Ayers?).  All the while, millions upon millions of people from around the world are clamoring to get into this country as they see it as a light of hope and a land of opportunity!! They know what real evil leadership is all about as they have lived under it.  I would say hey biggirl you need to move to a third world country, but with the leadership of the "greatest president" this nation has ever known (and biggirls messiah!!) there is no need to move because soon the USA will be a third world country!!