What Kind of Coach Would You

Not turning this into a bash or defend Pelini but there isn't a single coach in NCAA or NFL that hasn't or doe not use not so choice words with their team. Just watch Hard Knocks every season.

I don't think Mack or Mark Richt are cursers on the sidelines. I could be wrong - and they might slip once in a blue moon - but I don't think they do use foul language in general. Their connection? Bobby Bowden products. Another guy that coached without the 4 letter word.

But overall agree with you. Almost all of them, even in college, and liberal with their use of the f bomb.

Mr Gadget, Coach Swag, YESSIR,  The Milkman

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/columnists/rick-gosselin/20140821-gosselin-i-m-surprised-kevin-sumlin-is-still-at-texas-am-but-he-makes-a-convincing-case.ece

I'm surprised Kevin Sumlin is still at Texas A&M

If he ever wins a NC, or a conference championship, or even his division, he might not be around much longer. He has had some successful seasons, but has never won the "big" game.

Is it that hard to win a conference championship?

Lot of coaches do it every year.

Conference Affiliation determines how hard it is IMO....

I'll use the SEC Division & Conference as an example:

SEC WEST 5 outta 7 teams in the Top 25 = 71%
SEC EAST 3 outta 7 teams in the Top 25 = 42.8%
Total 8 outta 14 teams which = 57%

Then you have the SEC Championship Game to win.... I tip my hat to Nick Saban even though he has had the #1 recruiting class in umpteenth years!!

GIG'EM

Regardless of all those numbers, you still have a conference champion.

Funny thing about coaches

You have two basic types, both very successful

1. You have those like Coach Saban who out recruits everyone, and wins with OK coaching and player development. Mack Brown was a little like this.
  2. You have those like Coach Meyer who recruits well, but wins with coaching and player development.

Different styles, both highly successful. Most coaches fall into #2, because they cannot recruit like Coach Saban.. Coach Strong is #2, but his recruiting will improve because He is at Texas. Year three is the most critical year for a new coach, because this is the time your recruits and program come into fruition. 

The SEC is like Dolly Parton, pretty top heavy:

Football Summary
Current Members
School Last SEC Title Number of SEC Titles Number of Divisional Titles
Alabama 2012 23 9
Tennessee 1998 13 6
Georgia 2005 12 7
LSU 2011 11 8
Florida 2008 8 (+1 vacated) 12
Auburn 2013 8 8
Ole Miss 1963 6 1
Kentucky 1976 2 0
Mississippi State 1941 1 1
Arkansas Never 0 4
Missouri Never 0 1
South Carolina Never 0 1
Texas A&M Never 0 0
Vanderbilt Never 0 0

• You have those like Coach Saban who out recruits everyone, and wins with OK coaching and player development. Mack Brown was a little like this.
  • You have those like Coach Meyer who recruits well, but wins with coaching and player development.
Different styles, both highly successful. Most coaches fall into #2, because they cannot recruit like Coach Saban.. Coach Strong is #2, but his recruiting will improve because He is at Texas. Year three is the most critical year for a new coach, because this is the time your recruits and program come into fruition.

How can you say regardless of those numbers? If over half of your conference is ranked its HARDER to win your conference as your playing rank teams!!! Pretty simple logic to me!
SEC just top heavy though... That's a laugher too how can they be top heavy? Name another conference that has more ranked teams? See you can't so if any conference is top heavy its not the SEC.

• You have those like Coach Saban who out recruits everyone, and wins with OK coaching and player development. Mack Brown was a little like this.
  • You have those like Coach Meyer who recruits well, but wins with coaching and player development.

1st off, I have never heard Saban called an "ok" coach. That was pretty good.

Most new coaching hires bring excitement to the program and get a huge bump in recruiting based on hope. The opposite happened with Chucky and players decommitted in record numbers. Now the spin is it will take until the 2016 class for Chucky to start recruiting. I hope he can make it that long.

Most new coaching hires bring excitement to the program and get a huge bump in recruiting based on hope. The opposite happened with Chucky and players decommitted in record numbers. Now the spin is it will take until the 2016 class for Chucky to start recruiting. I hope he can make it that long.

I just sent Chucky and email and He wants to meet you. He is willing to jump on a jet and fly to Jack Brooks Regional.

It would be a great opportunity to find out what this man is all about. 

Poor aggy. Still looking for even a division title in this century....

How can you say regardless of those numbers? If over half of your conference is ranked its HARDER to win your conference as your playing rank teams!!! Pretty simple logic to me!SEC just top heavy though... That's a laugher too how can they be top heavy? Name another conference that has more ranked teams? See you can't so if any conference is top heavy its not the SEC.

What exactly does being "ranked" accomplish? A great philosopher once said "If you ain't first, you're last."

I just sent Chucky and email and He wants to meet you. He is willing to jump on a jet and fly to Jack Brooks Regional.

It would be a great opportunity to find out what this man is all about. 

PM19

Coach Strong is a busy man, but is willy to take time for you. He did mention something about a light workout. I'm not a gym guy so I have no idea what he is talking about.