Top 09's

Guest K-911

You are right about the scouts calling the coaches. But I do believe that they might use message boards to get sombody's name to begin with. Most coaches in this area do not promote their players. Most of these kids that get noticed have to promote themselves. With budgets getting tighter for colleges it is not out of the realm of possibility that some "scouts" could get names of potential players from the internet.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The issue is not whether scouts use this message board, its whether or not they use message boards in general...and without a doubt, they do...need I supply a link?

As for the issue of whether or not scouts use this message board....They do also...I personally know of a few that read and even post....Do they take this stuff to be the gospel?...Heck no...But no doubt it helps them get an idea of who to look for...Believe it

I think oldcoach is right in some ways. He is trying to let Mrs. Cleaver know that she can't ask "who is the best" and then reply two posts later that Beaver is one to keep an eye on and this all the sudden makes him a prospect.

I have noticed many times that it actually Beaver that is posting and telling us he is amoung the elite of the class of 09. (He would probably use the name BC67 or something like that.)

The scouts that would use information from any of these websites would know exactly whose info they can count on such as MIF and jdawg along with others.

how bout zack peevey I heard he is doing well at OF but i think he has too much talent to be playing at that school

mj23, you and your classmate db21 have tooted your own horn enough

now you have disrespected another school

you ignored earlier advice to bow out, but you keep on keepin on

you evidently missed the edition of This Week in Battlin' Bear Baseball that recommends that all LCM players please stay off of all message boards

it has brought us (and other teams) some problems in the past

I would like to know why some people think that scouts would not use message boards for information. Maybe if they would sit back and think of all the High Schools in the USA and the number of players there is maybe it will start to sink in. There are alot of good players that never get there name out there, Alot because of there parents and/or coaches do not know how are do not have time. And there is not near enough collage or indepndent scouts to cover every high school in Texas. The 08's and 09's are very important to find so you can watch them develop over 3-4 years. It is also very easy to do this in the Houston and Dallas area but extremly hard in the smaller towns that do produce some very good talent.

I would like to know why some people think that scouts would not use message boards for information. Maybe if they would sit back and think of all the High Schools in the USA and the number of players there is maybe it will start to sink in. There are alot of good players that never get there name out there' date=' Alot because of there parents and/or coaches do not know how are do not have time. And there is not near enough collage or indepndent scouts to cover every high school in Texas. The 08's and 09's are very important to find so you can watch them develop over 3-4 years. It is also very easy to do this in the Houston and Dallas area but extremly hard in the smaller towns that do produce some very good talent.[/quote']

I think the point that was being made earlier is that the majority of posts, especially in this thread for instance are made by players or their parents to get the players name out there for a scout. Surely a scout would be watching line scores and stats in the newspapers and even on these websites for more information. A well informed scout is going to know that Johnny hitting a triple against PNG'a Harwell holds a little more clout than Johnny hitting a triple against Central. Or, that a triple in game 5 of a tournament with no pitching left is a little less impressive than one hit in district play against a top team's ace. Little Johnny and his parents don't need to worry so much, if the talent is there, he will get noticed-his play will speak for itself. Kids get "discovered" all of the time when scouts are at games watching big name players and others on the team (or even on the opposing team) step up and play well.

There's about 37 Junior Colleges and maybe 18 Div 1 programs in Texas. So when you put the pen to it 55 x 9 positions = 495 spots open. Stats tell you that 1 out of 10 high school players go to the next level.

Few players will be overlooked; I don’t care if you’re playing at Westbrook or High Island.

Most coaches work very hard trying to find a spot for their kids. Have you ever been put down as a reference for someone getting a job or been asked by a very close friend who would you recommend for .i.e. mechanic, doctor or attorney?

High School coaches have one shot with a college coach, they can’t afford to lose any creditability they may have for making the wrong decision.

but whats sad is when a coach markets or advertises a player more just because they like them better on a personal level...And.....on the other hand, some players that are less liked by the coach on a personal level, do not get showcased as much....even though they may be a better ballplayer..........

now granted a good coach would not do that, but don' t think for one second it doesnt happen

Send the college scouts game videos and let them decide for themselves who they like.

Unedited video does not lie and it does not play favorites.

Tell them what you think about each of your kids and let them pick the ones they like from your team.

College coaches are busy. It is their season right now too. A game tape of a ball player that can't afford college can change a kids life.

Colleges have even signed kids from our opponents that looked good on these game tapes.

Guest K-911

College coaches are busy. It is their season right now too. A game tape of a ball player that can't afford college can change a kids life.

I agree about sending out the video. The scouts for college teams are also coaches. Their season runs paralell to the high school season. Also colleges are limited by NCAA rules as to how many days scouts can travel to see high school players. Even if they by chance get to a game the player they came to see may have an off day. Going to different Universities baseball camps in the summer and fall are also good ways to get noticed. If you attend a small school it is very unlikely that scouts will come and see you play. They just don't have the time.

Guest K-911

Most people have a misconception about Baseball Scholarships. Colleges only get 11.7 baseball scholaships. Compared to 83 for football. You will find it is rare for a player to recieve a "full ride" scholarship. Almost all players that recieve baseball scholarships only get partial scholarships. They have to spread those 11.7 among 20 to 25 players. If a player gets 75% that is outstanding.

Guest K-911

I was just trying to make the point that many players on scholarship for baseball do not get "full" scholarships compared to football and even basketball. There is big money being paid out these days for hitting and pitching lessons and for kids to play on select teams in hopes that their kid will get a baseball scholarship. The majority of these people don't realize that a baseball scholaship may not be what they think it is.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder