US Sanction Russia

rolltides

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
My friend said that we should invade Russia. I had to remind her that Russia has nuclear weapons. I don't think she knew that. She then said"he needs to draw a line in the sand". I asked her how should he draw a line in the sand? I asked her to be very specific in her response. She didn't have an answer.

What should Obama do in regards to Russia?

For starters, put a boatload of extra troops at every military base in Eastern Europe (to be fair, he sent the 101st Airborne to Poland, but that's not really enough). Deploy the missile defense systems that he took down in 2009 back to Eastern Europe to reclaim the trust we lost with our allies over there when we pulled them, and to show the Russians that we can't give them things they want in good faith if they're going to turn around and start invading their neighbors. Then, in a very, very public way, offer the Ukraine everything they could possibly need to fight a full scale war, from financial assistance to supplies, and convene the leadership of NATO for the explicit purpose of considering making an offer to the Ukraine for membership. Then keep them convened and deliberating that prospect every day until the situation's over.

Oh, yeah, and all that economic stuff, too.

For starters, put a boatload of extra troops at every military base in Eastern Europe (to be fair, he sent the 101st Airborne to Poland, but that's not really enough). Deploy the missile defense systems that he took down in 2009 back to Eastern Europe to reclaim the trust we lost with our allies over there when we pulled them, and to show the Russians that we can't give them things they want in good faith if they're going to turn around and start invading their neighbors. Then, in a very, very public way, offer the Ukraine everything they could possibly need to fight a full scale war, from financial assistance to supplies, and convene the leadership of NATO for the explicit purpose of considering making an offer to the Ukraine for membership. Then keep them convened and deliberating that prospect every day until the situation's over.

Oh, yeah, and all that economic stuff, too.

if he did that,you guys would be saying that we need to take care of home and stay out of it. Smh

if he did that,you guys would be saying that we need to take care of home and stay out of it. Smh

I have more than 5,000 posts on this site. I'm begging you: please go back and find one where I've ever said we need to take a reduced role in the world. You're talking to this website's biggest advocate for involvement in Syria from day one, and the guy who was behind US actions in Libya. Heck, I wanted us supporting the Twitter revolution in Iran in 2009.

Now with that in mind, can you honestly say that I would be against US involvement in the Ukraine if Obama had taken a more proactive role, simply because of who's president?

Crickets.........

Here is the solution.  You don't weaken our military by troop cutbacks or weapons cutbacks (yes that also includes Nukes) such that the perceived strength of our military is greatly diminished in the world and it emboldens straw bosses like Putin to laugh at us and advance their nation building agenda.  SMH.  I know that the righteous left will blame everything and everybody but their own failed policies.

One thing we could and should do is ramp up our LNG export capabilities and supply Europe with natural gas.

Russia is making lots of money selling natural gas to European countries.

Kill them with capitalism.

what about exxon-mobile's business connection with Russia?