Top prep recruits seeking edge by holding themselves back

Ran across this article. This has been going on awhile now but its always a refreshing spin to this trend. This particular article is on basketball, but it is occurring in other youth sports. Reclassify your kid, give him or her the time to grow physically and mentally. In other words, you should be able to beat up on the younger kids and become a superstar in your new found graduating class.

http://www.nola.com/recruiting/index.ssf/2013/07/building_trend_gives_top_hoops.html

[quote name="Stevenash" post="1421439" timestamp="1375719576"]
Many years ago, Orangefield was doing this in football.
[/quote] Hmmm, the very first time I heard of this was when I moved to Beaumont. Never knew people kept their kids back on purpose. In my neighborhood, you were retained for bad grades. Times have changed!!

I have close personal knowledge of parents holding their kids back in kindergarten to allow them have another year of maturity. (My oldest son is one of those kids but wasn't held back for athletic purposes)

I almost was one of those kids but my mom would not let my dad have his way.  ;D

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1421457" timestamp="1375721685"]
[quote author=Stevenash link=topic=113153.msg1421439#msg1421439 date=1375719576]
Many years ago, Orangefield was doing this in football.
[/quote] Hmmm, the very first time I heard of this was when I moved to Beaumont. Never knew people kept their kids back on purpose. In my neighborhood, you were retained for bad grades. Times have changed!!
[/quote]

I can believe that, Dove.  Instead of holding kids back, you are more accustomed to kids simply moving to wherever they could get the best deal.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1421471" timestamp="1375724109"]
I have close personal knowledge of parents holding their kids back in kindergarten to allow them have another year of maturity. (My oldest son is one of those kids but wasn't held back for athletic purposes)

I almost was one of those kids but my mom would not let my dad have his way.  ;D
[/quote]Your mom should have listened  ;D

[quote name="Stevenash" post="1421878" timestamp="1375815861"]
Dove, Can you tell me how someone knows that their child will be a top recruit when they are 5 or 6 years old?
[/quote]

I've seen 5 and 6 yr olds raining 3s on youtube.  I'm sure some already have 'offers' but are hesitant to 'commit' until they reach grade school. ;D

[quote name="AthleticSupporter - Jock" post="1421918" timestamp="1375820480"]
[quote author=Stevenash link=topic=113153.msg1421878#msg1421878 date=1375815861]
Dove, Can you tell me how someone knows that their child will be a top recruit when they are 5 or 6 years old?
[/quote]

I've seen 5 and 6 yr olds raining 3s on youtube.  I'm sure some already have 'offers' but are hesitant to 'commit' until they reach grade school. ;D
[/quote] They are waiting to see if the coach will stay around long enough

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder