**2007 PRE-SEASON ALL SOUTHEAST TEXAS BASEBALL TEAM**

Released by MIF04

2007 PRE-SEASON ALL-SETXSPORTS.COM BASEBALL TEAM

The staff and editors at SETXSPORTS.COM have checked their tea leaves, read the tarot cards and peered into their crystal balls.  With that being done, and with the opening practice less than one month away, it is time for our 2007 Pre-Season All SETXSPORTS.COM Baseball Team:

MOST VALUABLE PLAYER:

DAVID MURPHY (West Brook) – In a crowded field, the senior RHP/INF (and University of Houston signee) returns for his 4th year of varsity play with the 5A Bruins.  Murphy was 5-0 last season before arm troubles limited his mound time but maintained his full-time position play – hitting .413 with 3 HRs.  This blend of pitching prowness and offensive performance earns David Murphy our pre-season MVP award.

OFFENSIVE MVP:

CASEY JACKSON (Bridge City) – A lot of contenders for this crown, too but the junior backstop distances himself to earn our pre-season offensive MVP.  As legitimate power hitter, playing in a park built for power hitters, expect Jackson to once again put up gaudy numbers.  This is one “Casey at the Bat†that will cause joy in Mudville….or, at least, throughout Bridge City.

PITCHING MVP:

JOEL SCHOOLING (Silsbee) – As the ace of a solid Tigers’ staff, Schooling dominated and led Silsbee to their surprise 2006 district championship.  This junior RHP displayed remarkable grit during the playoffs, taking the ball at every opportunity.  In so doing, Joel proved to be long in both talent and heart.  For that reason, he is our pre-season pitching MVP.

FIRST TEAM:

CATCHERS (2):

CAMERON CAMPBELL (Barbers Hill) – Last year’s first team selection has given us no reason to change our mind.  The area’s best defender behind the dish, will once again hit 4th in the Eagles’ lineup and proved why this summer – demonstrating additional power at the plate.

JAKE ROWELL (LCM) – Always one of the best hitters in the area, Jake now inherits the leadership role for Coach Griff and the Battlin’ Bears.  Already committed to McNeese (what a steal for the Cowboys), expect Jake to continue to do what he does best – hit early and often.

PITCHERS (6):

MICHAEL LISTI (Huffman) – Tolling in seeming anonymity last season, the RHP picked up the pace when 2006’s ‘ace’ (James Bagley) was lost for most of the season with an injury.  How did Michael respond?  The Falcons still won their district and Listi was his district’s MVP. 

ROSS HALES (Barbers Hill) – As a sophomore, the LHP quickly became the Eagles’ ace, including a dominating performance against area #1 Bridge City under the bright lights of the play-offs.  A older, wiser and stronger Ross equals good news for the Eagles…and bad news for their opponents.

JOSIAH SVOBODA (West Brook) – Svoboda became the Bruins’ ace midway through the season, leading his team in wins as the Bruins went 20-9.  His numbers should be good again this year as he pitches for the area’s top offensive team but, should they falter, Josiah is good enough to win on his own.

BEAU HELMKE (Nederland) – The RHP steps out from the shadow of last year’s ace (Mattison Smith) after going 4-1 last year for Coach Robbins and the ‘Dogs.  Lamar recognized his talent, signing him during the early signing period and setting Beau up for a run at the District title.

JEFF STRINGER (Bridge City) – Another Lamar signee, Jeff steps in the shows of last year’s LHP ace, Kevin Angelle.  Reason to worry?  We think not.  Stringer was 6-0 with 50Ks in 35 IP, cementing BC’s run to Austin with a game 3 ‘no no’ last Spring against Barbers Hill.

SHAWN FLORES (PNG) – Jay Stone seems to always produce top line pitchers and 2007 should be no different.  We expect a breakout season from this RHP as he moves to the front of the Indians pitching staff.  Look for Flores to keep PNG in the middle of the district race and into the playoffs.

INFIELDERS (6):

TIM FERGUSON (West Brook) – Ferguson returns for his senior season after leading the Bruins in most offensive categories last year, including a .446 average.  Already committed to national power Ole Miss, look for Tim to see plenty of good pitches in the middle of the stacked WB lineup.

BRAEDEN RILEY (   Woodville) – A standout two-way player, the senior will be the ‘go to’ guy again for Coach Hennigan this season.  Already commited to Mark Johnson and his program at Sam Houston, Braeden can now focus on reviving the Eagles’ June tradition – another trip to Austin.

TAYLOR HART (Jasper) – The athletic junior SS set school record after school record last year for Coach Mixon and the Bulldogs.  Having ‘retired’ from football, Taylor should be rarin’ to go by February and that can only mean good things for him and the rest of the ‘Dogs.

AARON MCFARLAND (Nederland) – This ‘big bopper’ announced his presence as a sophomore and promises to do more this year.  This first baseman should prove to be the power source in the middle of the Bulldogs lineup, providing plenty of excited for the Nederland faithful.

THAD LYCAN (West Brook) – A second team selection by both us and the 21-5A coaches, this junior infielder should improve on 2006’s stellar .344 average.   Sandwiched between seniors Murphy and Ferguson in WB’s lineup, look for big things from Thad all season long.

CHASE BARRERA (Barbers Hill) – The senior SS/RHP has been a foundation for the Eagles for a long time.  Look for this season to be no different as he teams with fellow first teamer Cameron Campbell to provide the Eagles with an productive and explosive offense.

OUTFIELDERS (6):

JOHNNY DISHON (Bridge City) – Perhaps the area’s best overall athlete, Dishon blends ‘plus’ speed with power (to go with a legitimate ‘cannon’ of an arm) to patrol CF for Coach Bryant and the Cardinals.   While he has LSU to look forward to, Johnny has some unfinished business – go to Austin and (this year) win it.

MARK SERNA (West Brook) – Serna spent a large part of the offseason recovering from ankle surgery but is already back and ready to play in his 4th year of varsity experience.  Last year, Mark hit .398 with 3 HR and also led the Bruins’ pitching staff in strikeouts.   

ZACK SIPE (Huffman) – Another 4 year varsity player, Sipe has been All_District every year and earned All-State recognition.  This year should be no different for Zack in 2007 as he assumes the offensive leadership for the Falcons. 

ROCKY CALHOUN (Silsbee) – The senior CF returns for his last season as the offensive leader for the 2007 Tigers.  A first team All-District performer in both baseball and football, Calhoun plays the OF with the best of them.  Proof?  He has never been charged with an error…ever.

MICAH MOSELY (Nederland) – Yes, the same Micah Mosely who was Nederland’s standout RB and our Football “Members Choice†winner.  You only need to watch this kid play baseball, though, to know he is an outstanding player.  As the offensive catalyst, he will provide plenty of excitement for the Bulldogs. 

BOBBY ARMSTRONG (West Brook) – The Bruins’ CF was overshadowed by some of his teammates but ‘all’ he did was quietly hit .390 and display D-1 ‘gap to gap’ power throughout the season.  Look for Armstrong to be productive in the Bruins’ lineup and be among the area’s RBI leaders.

DESIGNATED HITTERS (2):

LANDON STEINHAGEN (Kelly) – the junior backstop is big, strong and a offensive force to be reckoned with.  Coming off a strong sophomore season, look for Landon’s offense to be more consistent and even more powerful than last season…and it was pretty good then.

JON CARNAHAN (PNG) – another junior backstop (do we have a lot of good catchers this year or what?) whose bat alone justifies their position on our team, Carnahan stepped in last year as a sophomore and provided offensive stability for Jay Stone and the Indians.  Look for more of the same in 2007.

UTILITY (2)

JOSH GARDINER (Ozen) – The junior RHP/INF has been a star for the Panthers since his freshman season.  Josh is outstanding as both a pitcher and position player and takes his place among the area’s elite.  He is, as the old saying goes, both a jack of all trades AND a master of all.

KEVIN MCDONALD (Silsbee) – The junior RHP/INF from Silsbee often times labors in the shadow of others but he, too, is deserving of recognition.  Undefeated on the mound throughout district, he also excelled at SS.  The Tigers enter a new district and are counting on more big things from this outstanding player.

SECOND TEAM:

Outstanding players abound throughout Southeast Texas.  Often times, the margin was razor thin between the first and second team.  This year’s second team is:

CATCHERS (2):  Colby Hargrave (Silsbee);  DJ Massey (Dayton)

PITCHERS (6):  Travis Reagan (Jasper);  Anthony Fazio (Kelly); Deston James (Ozen); Ryan Sampere (Nederland); DD Lott (Ozen); Terry Veitch (WOS)

INFIELDERS (6):  Blake Moss (Silsbee);  VJ Bunner (Vidor); Jeff Schmidt (Huffman); Troy Bolton (Bridge City); Alex Mossier (Nederland); Andy Dewey (Dayton)

OUTFIELDERS (6):  Kevin Roebuck (HJ); Eric Harrington (PNG); Zach Peevey (Orangefield); Colby Townley (BH); Justin Parsons (Jasper); Derik Kilmer (Vidor)

DESIGNATED HITTER (2):  Lane Helveston (HJ); Cody Hussey (Lumberton)

UTILITY (2):  Todd Wallace (West Brook); Aaron Hazlewood (Kirbyville)

Released by MIF04

PITCHING MVP:

JOEL SCHOOLING (Silsbee) – As the ace of a solid Tigers’ staff, Schooling dominated and led Silsbee to their surprise 2006 district championship.  This southpaw displayed remarkable grit during the playoffs, taking the ball at every opportunity.  In so doing, Joel proved to be long in both talent and heart.  For that reason, he is our pre-season pitching MVP.

CATCHERS (2):  Colby Hargraves (Silsbee); 

Nothing major but I have a few mistakes to correct.  Joel Schooling is right-handed and Colby's last name is Hargrave.

You guys are doing a great job not only with the Pre-Season Baseball but the whole page has given southeast Texas sports fans a great place to go on the internet.  Compiling all of this must have taken a long time.  However, I'm a little disappointed that Derrick "Spanky" Ferguson didn't show up on the infield list somewhere.  He will be a Senior and the soft spoken, hard working leader of the Hawks this year. His fielding percentages and batting averages over the last two years are worth some recognition.  I'm sure he will be on the end of the year list.  Good luck to Derrick and all the hawks this year.  Again you guys are doing a great job.  Keep up the good work.

Guest BobcatBeliever

The Pre Season All Southeast Texas Baseball Team includes every local college commit to date with the exception of one, Cathedral's Nick Christopher - Lamar Commit.  Nick deserves mention on the Pre Season All Southeast Texas Baseball Team.

There are many kids who deserve to be mentioned all across the area. 

Guest OHS_1994

Guys yall have done a great job as always.  The time that yall put into this website is ridiculous.  I know some people might be disapointed but my gosh you will never have any type of ranking with out somebody getting upset.  Can't wait to see how all of these kids pan out.  It's going to be a great year!!!!!

I'm just excited that atleast one player is representing Ofield on the list.  There is a whole lot of talent on that list

heath arnold from huffman is missing from the 1st team of pitchers... just look up some of his stats, and you'll see what i mean!

What is that suppose to mean?

Arnold is the best pitcher huffman has... hands down!

he'll show it this year.

I am from Huffman and I hope your right but Listi is a pretty good pitcher. I don't know why there has to be a "best" on one team but whatever. There is enough glory for everyone and after all it is a team sport last I checked. We struggle with that over here and it cost us sometimes from winning more games but GET AFTER IT.  ;D

Guest BobcatBeliever

I am from Huffman and I hope your right but Listi is a pretty good pitcher. I don't know why there has to be a "best" on one team but whatever. There is enough glory for everyone and after all it is a team sport last I checked. We struggle with that over here and it cost us sometimes from winning more games but GET AFTER IT.  ;D

EXACTLY! 

Guest OHS_1994

If he is truely better then Listi then He will proove it this year right.  But for right now he did not do enough to be on the list, suck it up and proove them wrong.  These guys work too hard at this stuff to be criticized.

Guest BobcatBeliever

If he was the best then he would be on it no doubt. but he is not and Listi is.  Plus He must be really good to be better then Listi because he is the real deal.  That means if he is that good then he must have already signed.  What round is he getting drafted in? ;)

I think you misinterpreted what they were saying.

Guest OHS_1994

I have no problems with people feeling that somebody was left off and expressing that, but please do not attack other players like Listi stating that they are not deserving.

Guest BobcatBeliever

Nope I think I'm capable of understanding the comment. 

On that particular quote, I agree, you couldn't misinterpret that.  But there was a comment by etbu about why there had to be a best at anything that was included in all of that.  Apologies.

Guest OHS_1994

On that particular quote, I agree, you couldn't misinterpret that.  But there was a comment by etbu about why there had to be a best at anything that was included in all of that.  Apologies.

Sorry about that I completely agree with etbu also I was not commenting about what he said, just what 1989 said  :)

Guest BobcatBeliever

Sorry about that I completely agree with etbu also I was not commenting about what he said, just what 1989 said  :)

Quite honestly, I don't know why we have to start predicting who's the best at anything before the season ever gets off the ground.  I guess it's one of those things that makes adults feel good if they end up being correct in their predictions or guesses.  Some kids are obviously very good and they will shine, and at the end of a season give them their credit.  However, a year is alot of time for others to grow and improve and it seems as if they're completely not given a chance for anything because minds of adults are already made up before the first practice.  And if you all think that most of those kids don't read all of this, you are wrong.  They read it and they tell each other.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    siiyyaa
    Newest Member
    siiyyaa