Is Dontre Thomas and Michael McCain the future of Silsbee Basketball

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1386444" timestamp="1363641829"]
I will try this just ONE MORE TIME....BEAUMONT HAS HAD MORE TALENT THAN SILSBEE SINCE 1978! I said NOTHING about the wins and losses or state appearances, and even at that Beaumont STILL has more... I said BISD HAS HAD MORE TALENTED PLAYERS since 1978 (last 35 years) which was the ORIGINAL question! It is that simple..... ::)
[/quote]

How many Beaumont players were you observing and evaluating 25 to 35 years ago?

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1386460" timestamp="1363643334"]
From 1978-2002 when Lincoln closed its doors they won 7 state titles and during that span BISD has won 3 (2 @ Hebert, 1 @ Ozen)...Should they have had more? Absolutely, yes... 8)
[/quote]

Hmmm- Didnt you just say in another post that victories were irrelevant?

[quote name="Farmer Fran" post="1386419" timestamp="1363637742"]
[quote author=Dick Vitale link=topic=110129.msg1386414#msg1386414 date=1363637170]
[quote author=BADSANTA link=topic=110129.msg1384593#msg1384593 date=1363011570]
Since Im a Silsbee native I will break it down. Silsbee may have had the best talent overall in SETX over the last 35 years next to PA Lincoln. Silsbee has never been able to get over the hump to win state. I have seen Silsbee teams that have had 3 Allstate players at one time come up short. If these two have the talent to make their teammates better amd keep those grades up, who knows. I wish them the best of luck and ill be sure to catch a game or two. If they can win state is a very tough question to answer since I have nothing to compare to yet.
[/quote]
SECOND behind PA Lincoln??? NO sir, they are not...You ever hear of a Beaumont ISD school called Hebert? The one that actually won a state title or two? They had more talent than Silsbee...So has Central over that time span and Westbrook too...Talent is Silsbee? Absolutely, yes...MORE than the BISD schools...NO WAY.
[/quote]

I agree with the Hebert statement. If Central and Westbrook have had more talent than Silsbee, they certainly have not shown it.
[/quote]I agree with the Farmer.  Hebert (yes), Ozen (ehhh), Central (no way), Westbrook (not even close).

[quote name="DXTR" post="1386486" timestamp="1363651019"]
[quote author=Farmer Fran link=topic=110129.msg1386419#msg1386419 date=1363637742]
[quote author=Dick Vitale link=topic=110129.msg1386414#msg1386414 date=1363637170]
[quote author=BADSANTA link=topic=110129.msg1384593#msg1384593 date=1363011570]
Since Im a Silsbee native I will break it down. Silsbee may have had the best talent overall in SETX over the last 35 years next to PA Lincoln. Silsbee has never been able to get over the hump to win state. I have seen Silsbee teams that have had 3 Allstate players at one time come up short. If these two have the talent to make their teammates better amd keep those grades up, who knows. I wish them the best of luck and ill be sure to catch a game or two. If they can win state is a very tough question to answer since I have nothing to compare to yet.
[/quote]
SECOND behind PA Lincoln??? NO sir, they are not...You ever hear of a Beaumont ISD school called Hebert? The one that actually won a state title or two? They had more talent than Silsbee...So has Central over that time span and Westbrook too...Talent is Silsbee? Absolutely, yes...MORE than the BISD schools...NO WAY.
[/quote]

I agree with the Hebert statement. If Central and Westbrook have had more talent than Silsbee, they certainly have not shown it.
[/quote]I agree with the Farmer.  Hebert (yes), Ozen (ehhh), Central (no way), Westbrook (not even close).
[/quote]
Ozen- DEFINITELY BETTER! (are you kidding me?) Perk, Keena Young, Kris Richards, DeCarlos Frank, Mike Thomas, Brandon Chappell, Jason Dabney...come on man, really?
WB- Luke Jackson, Omar Sneed, Paris Corner, Golden Corner, Jeremy Long, Trey McDowell...Did Silsbee EVER have anyone CLOSE to these guys?
Central- Damon Sweet, Perry Hill, Eric Rideaux, Jamar Gulley, Skip Jackson....Maybe Darrel MacArthur could get in with these guys or Damion Bush, but you are talking about TWO guys, and I could keep going on and on!! Come on man, don't be ridiculous....Beaumont has had better atheletes, I have no idea why BADSANTA started this convo!! :o

DV arw you serious?

Silsbee

Michael Dabney
Darrell McArthur
Lloyd McArthur
David Green
Damien Bush
Thad Holden
Dexter
Al Henry
Chris Martin
Tyrus Elam
Chris Miller
Lewis Arline
Lance Arline
DC Stallworth
Darrel Gardner

Desmond Doss
Shannon Robinson
Avery Thomas
Jordan Holmes
Chris Elam
Richard Watts
Elester Whitmore
I can go on and on and on DV! BISD should give Silsbee yhe red carpet treatment the way they have owned yall! Fact!!!!!

Silsbee is 3A and beat down Central and WB this year. Beat Ozen last year with Green Jr a Silsbee native. He grew up on 3rd st. About.6 house down from me back in the day. Silsbee breads talent Beaumont gets it by numbers. Kountze would run BISD if they scheduled them.

[quote name="BADSANTA" post="1386434" timestamp="1363640273"]
How many points did McCain score? How is he on defense. Anyone inviting these kids to.camps outside of SETX?
[/quote]

I'm his AAU coach. We are the SETX Heat. McCain is a 6'0 gaurd that plays great defense. Fantastic athlete.. I am working on getting him and his little brother all the exposure possible. As well as the rest of my team.

[quote name="BADSANTA" post="1386493" timestamp="1363652882"]
DV arw you serious?

Silsbee

Michael Dabney
Darrell McArthur
Lloyd McArthur
David Green
Damien Bush
Thad Holden
Dexter
Al Henry
Chris Martin
Tyrus Elam
Chris Miller
Lewis Arline
Lance Arline
DC Stallworth
Darrel Gardner

Desmond Doss
Shannon Robinson
Avery Thomas
Jordan Holmes
Chris Elam
Richard Watts
Elester Whitmore
I can go on and on and on DV! BISD should give Silsbee yhe red carpet treatment the way they have owned yall! Fact!!!!!
[/quote]Don't forget Mike Sanchez  ;D

[quote name="DXTR" post="1386506" timestamp="1363655176"]
[quote author=BADSANTA link=topic=110129.msg1386493#msg1386493 date=1363652882]
DV arw you serious?

Silsbee

Michael Dabney
Darrell McArthur
Lloyd McArthur
David Green
Damien Bush
Thad Holden
Dexter
Al Henry
Chris Martin
Tyrus Elam
Chris Miller
Lewis Arline
Lance Arline
DC Stallworth
Darrel Gardner

Desmond Doss
Shannon Robinson
Avery Thomas
Jordan Holmes
Chris Elam
Richard Watts
Elester Whitmore
[/quote]Don't forget Mike Sanchez  ;D
[/quote] Who? Never heard of him before.

Guest Air Bisquit
[quote name="BADSANTA" post="1386493" timestamp="1363652882"]
DV arw you serious?

Silsbee

Michael Dabney
Darrell McArthur
Lloyd McArthur
David Green
Damien Bush
Thad Holden
Dexter
Al Henry
Chris Martin
Tyrus Elam
Chris Miller
Lewis Arline
Lance Arline
DC Stallworth
Darrel Gardner

Desmond Doss
Shannon Robinson
Avery Thomas
Jordan Holmes
Chris Elam
Richard Watts
Elester Whitmore
[/quote]

Don't forget

William Walters
Artie Shankle
Robert Gaines
Delton Harper
Dwight Fobbs
Dexter Wallace
Keith Holmes
James Hunter
David Brown
Ferrell Artis

I am sure AAW could name a few more

A lot of names listed on that list from Silsbee were in fact "ballers" but the fact that the competition level fell off dramatically due to the drop from 4A to 3A waters it down a bit. Back in the early to mid 80's when the Tigers were 4A their district schedule consisted of quite a few strong schools with either D1 or JUCO talent throughout their rosters. I recall at least 5 players from Silsbee alone going off to college between '83-'86 (Lloyd McArthur, Delton Harper, Terrell McArthur, Farrell Artis and Darrell McArthur) as well as a multitude of players from the teams they faced (Anthony Allen, LaBradford Smith, Hart Lee Dykes etc.) which illustrates how talented that era was. Just wondering, is Stallworth the last player to move on from Silsbee within the past 5 years or so?

McCain is a special kid and a great young player and his little brother might end up better.  Future looks bright for Silsbee basketball.  In this age group, watch out for Port Arthur Memorial.  Port Arthur Lincoln 7th grade went undefeated in every boys sport this year and were unscored upon in Football.  I saw a couple of their basketball games and they might have beat any junior high team in this area.  Loaded with talent. 

To weigh in on the current high school situation, as far as pure talent goes, I like the depth of players at Central and Silsbee.  I would probably give the edge to Central but this doesn't necessarily translate to wins.  An example would be how evenly Nederland plays Central with FAR less talent.  With the Toon kid transferring to Nederland, I am not sure that gets any easier for the Jags next year.  He is an upgrade from Coach English's graduating son IMO. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder