Sideline to Sideline Class 3A and 2A Round 4 Playoff Preview Shows

Gsquared

No way to pick a game like this... It is one of those games where you will keep second guessing yourself if you do... "Navasota's offense looks unstoppable..., but what if WO-S does have that one of a kind defense that can match up with Navasota, player for player?"

One of you guys made a statement that I have been thinking about since last year. About whether this game could be a defining moment in highschool football where the "worm turns" back toward the offenses and the wide open spread style or if defenses still are what matters most. I think the "worm turned" toward the offenses away from the stout defenses in the mid 90's. When Art Briles brought the spread to Texas highschool football, it revolutionized the way people played the game. Even the most traditionally strong defensive teams looked mediocre against the Spread. When Briles took a mediocre program to greatness I knew things were changing. The way he made those outstanding LaMarque defenses look was incredible. Those LaMarque defenses were impenetrable against traditional offense, but the spread made them look porous. Then, in 2000, we had one of our best defenses ever. Beating the eventual DI state champ Bay City 10-7 and dominating every offense we faced, then we faced the spread for the first time with Ennis and they made us look silly. The game was over at halftime. I think it was then that things swung toward the Spread offense.

Actually, I think that now, teams are starting to figure it out and are building their defenses smaller and quicker because most coaches today know that, eventually, you are going to face spread teams. I think the pendulum began to swing back last year when a stout Wimberley defense held Argyle, a team that had just beat Gilmer, to 7 points and won the game 21-7 (or something like that), holding Argyle to way under their usual point totals and far less than they had scored during the playoffs.

Hopefully, this will hold true tomorrow night.   

[quote name="Gasilla" post="1350554" timestamp="1354839016"]
No way to pick a game like this... It is one of those games where you will keep second guessing yourself if you do... "Navasota's offense looks unstoppable..., but what if WO-S does have that one of a kind defense that can match up with Navasota, player for player?"

One of you guys made a statement that I have been thinking about since last year. About whether this game could be a defining moment in highschool football where the "worm turns" back toward the offenses and the wide open spread style or if defenses still are what matters most. I think the "worm turned" toward the offenses away from the stout defenses in the mid 90's. When Art Briles brought the spread to Texas highschool football, it revolutionized the way people played the game. Even the most traditionally strong defensive teams looked mediocre against the Spread. When Briles took a mediocre program to greatness I knew things were changing. The way he made those outstanding LaMarque defenses look was incredible. Those LaMarque defenses were impenetrable against traditional offense, but the spread made them look porous. Then, in 2000, we had one of our best defenses ever. Beating the eventual DI state champ Bay City 10-7 and dominating every offense we faced, then we faced the spread for the first time with Ennis and they made us look silly. The game was over at halftime. I think it was then that things swung toward the Spread offense.

Actually, I think that now, teams are starting to figure it out and are building their defenses smaller and quicker because most coaches today know that, eventually, you are going to face spread teams. I think the pendulum began to swing back last year when a stout Wimberley defense held Argyle, a team that had just beat Gilmer, to 7 points and won the game 21-7 (or something like that), holding Argyle to way under their usual point totals and far less than they had scored during the playoffs.

Hopefully, this will hold true tomorrow night. 
[/quote]

EXCELLENT point!!!  I almost want to copy your reply and put it on the Sideline to Sideline Facebook page

[quote name="Gasilla" post="1350724" timestamp="1354855446"]
Do it! I'd like to hear what others think about that topic.
[/quote]

Thanks Gasilla, just put it up on our FB page at

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sideline-To-Sideline-The-Class-3A-and-2A-Shows/173097212777541?ref=hl

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami