this thread is not for the stay in the SLC with SHSU fans.

[quote name="UNLV" post="1253202" timestamp="1346171073"]
[quote author=kingkat99 link=topic=101078.msg1253173#msg1253173 date=1346167223]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=101078.msg1252884#msg1252884 date=1346108566]
[quote author=kingkat99 link=topic=101078.msg1252625#msg1252625 date=1346089435]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=101078.msg1251434#msg1251434 date=1345950025]
[quote author=coachacola link=topic=101078.msg1251139#msg1251139 date=1345924682]
When Denver was in the Sun Belt they were sending their teams all the way to Florida.  I don't think it matter what conference they are in they still have to travel a lot.  I guess if the money if right then AFA could join the BE for football and put their other teams in PL.  I just think that's a long shot but you never know. But I still don't see the remaining MWC schools inviting Lamar, no matter what we think about it.  If they refuse to take New Mexico State then there's no way they want Lamar.
[/quote]Ok since you want to use exact words. MWC commissioner said no to Idaho and NMSU. He also said no non-football schools and he will invite the Texas schools. Cola, who are the Football playing Texas schools?
No CUSA, BE, SEC, or Big 12 football playing school in Texas will leave their conference to go to the MWC. So who are those Texas schools the MWC commissioner is targeting?  Can anyone tell me?
[/quote]

Texas State and North Texas.
[/quote]Use a bit of common sense. North Texas will not leave conference games in San Antonio, Houston, Tulsa, and New Orleans to play in Fort Collins and Laramie. And pay a 5 million dollar exit fee.
[/quote]

And you think Texas State will???  They are both Sunbelt schools so there is as good a chance for NT as TXST.  Im not sure either would trade that for a MWC that has gotten so deperate they would be going after Lamar?
[/quote]This is North Texas last season in the Sunbelt. Next year they will be playing in CUSA. You did know UNT was going to CUSA?
Texas st would be as crazy as Lamar was for going back to the Southland to not go MWC. MWC still ranks higher than the SBC. Will you be happy for Lamar if the MWC invites Texas st and Lamar?
[/quote]

Honestly no I didnt as I only follow my university and the other members of its conference and dont really concern myself with everyone else and moving up on a daily basis. 

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="kingkat99" post="1253298" timestamp="1346178799"]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=101078.msg1253202#msg1253202 date=1346171073]
[quote author=kingkat99 link=topic=101078.msg1253173#msg1253173 date=1346167223]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=101078.msg1252884#msg1252884 date=1346108566]
[quote author=kingkat99 link=topic=101078.msg1252625#msg1252625 date=1346089435]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=101078.msg1251434#msg1251434 date=1345950025]
[quote author=coachacola link=topic=101078.msg1251139#msg1251139 date=1345924682]
When Denver was in the Sun Belt they were sending their teams all the way to Florida.  I don't think it matter what conference they are in they still have to travel a lot.  I guess if the money if right then AFA could join the BE for football and put their other teams in PL.  I just think that's a long shot but you never know. But I still don't see the remaining MWC schools inviting Lamar, no matter what we think about it.  If they refuse to take New Mexico State then there's no way they want Lamar.
[/quote]Ok since you want to use exact words. MWC commissioner said no to Idaho and NMSU. He also said no non-football schools and he will invite the Texas schools. Cola, who are the Football playing Texas schools?
No CUSA, BE, SEC, or Big 12 football playing school in Texas will leave their conference to go to the MWC. So who are those Texas schools the MWC commissioner is targeting?  Can anyone tell me?
[/quote]

Texas State and North Texas.
[/quote]Use a bit of common sense. North Texas will not leave conference games in San Antonio, Houston, Tulsa, and New Orleans to play in Fort Collins and Laramie. And pay a 5 million dollar exit fee.
[/quote]

And you think Texas State will???  They are both Sunbelt schools so there is as good a chance for NT as TXST.  Im not sure either would trade that for a MWC that has gotten so deperate they would be going after Lamar?
[/quote]This is North Texas last season in the Sunbelt. Next year they will be playing in CUSA. You did know UNT was going to CUSA?
Texas st would be as crazy as Lamar was for going back to the Southland to not go MWC. MWC still ranks higher than the SBC. Will you be happy for Lamar if the MWC invites Texas st and Lamar?
[/quote]

Honestly no I didnt as I only follow my university and the other members of its conference and dont really concern myself with everyone else and moving up on a daily basis.
[/quote]I don't throw darts at a conference map then declare Lamar is going there. 6 months ago I would have said anyone is crazy to think Lamar is going to the MWC. Things have changed. All over the net they are saying the MWC is screwed. Consensus is Texas st and ? gets the invite. Nobody knows who the ? is.
The clues are:
1. No Idaho
2. No NMSU
3. No non-football
4. Texas schools.  2 or more.
I think the ? is Lamar.

[quote name="UNLV" post="1253648" timestamp="1346205798"]
I don't throw darts at a conference map then declare Lamar is going there. 6 months ago I would have said anyone is crazy to think Lamar is going to the MWC. Things have changed. All over the net they are saying the MWC is screwed. Consensus is Texas st and ? gets the invite. Nobody knows who the ? is.
The clues are:
1. No Idaho
2. No NMSU
3. No non-football
I think the ? is Lamar.
[/quote]

If the MWC does lose some schools and they have to reload they can always pick up Idaho and/or NMSU.  Even though the MWC may want to get back into Texas, I doubt they'll chose Lamar just because they are in Texas.  The WAC needed 8 teams to survive and they still chose not to invite Lamar.  Rumor was the western schools didn't want another eastern football school in the WAC, now those schools (SJSU and Utah State) are in the MWC.

i know this is off topic..and if we change conferences im ok with that..as most fans probably will be ..but i think attendance is down some because of the 50-0 beatdowns we had to endure last year...im just not under the impression that SETX cant fill a 16000 seat stadium, regardless of opponent, unless the team is really terrible...i made every home game last year..and the team just wasnt very good...

[quote name="coachacola" post="1253817" timestamp="1346248381"]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=101078.msg1253648#msg1253648 date=1346205798]
I don't throw darts at a conference map then declare Lamar is going there. 6 months ago I would have said anyone is crazy to think Lamar is going to the MWC. Things have changed. All over the net they are saying the MWC is screwed. Consensus is Texas st and ? gets the invite. Nobody knows who the ? is.
The clues are:
1. No Idaho
2. No NMSU
3. No non-football
I think the ? is Lamar.
[/quote]

If the MWC does lose some schools and they have to reload they can always pick up Idaho and/or NMSU.  Even though the MWC may want to get back into Texas, I doubt they'll chose Lamar just because they are in Texas.  The WAC needed 8 teams to survive and they still chose not to invite Lamar.  Rumor was the western schools didn't want another eastern football school in the WAC, now those schools (SJSU and Utah State) are in the MWC.
[/quote]Totally different situation. The western WAC didn't invite Lamar last year for 2 reasons.
1. Inviting Lamar would have gave the eastern teams the voting majority. The western teams didn't want to give up the majority.
2. The western schools was delusional in thinking sac st, or portland, or the Montana's would join.,Then Lamar would be added. Those idiots thought they had 2 years to invite Lamar.

MWC situation is different.
1. Adding Lamar and Texas st won't remove the western majority.
2. MWC knows their options are limited.

Idaho, will not get the MWC invite. I see no scenario for them. Dome too small, no baseball, short drive to pac 12 school, no market, nothing.

NMSU has a chance in my opinion even when MWC told them no. MWC first choice is Texas st,. Texas st is not going alone. MWC will need 3 football schools. Texas st, NMSU, and Lamar Who else?

[quote name="WOS95" post="1253883" timestamp="1346253836"]
i know this is off topic..and if we change conferences im ok with that..as most fans probably will be ..but i think attendance is down some because of the 50-0 beatdowns we had to endure last year...im just not under the impression that SETX cant fill a 16000 seat stadium, regardless of opponent, unless the team is really terrible...i made every home game last year..and the team just wasnt very good...
[/quote]Flawed logic. Texas st has Texas Tech at their home, UL-Monroe has Baylor. Do you honestly think Lamar would be having attendance drops if Texas Tech and Baylor was coming to Beaumont instead of Langston and Mcmury?  honestly?

[quote name="UNLV" post="1250950" timestamp="1345903197"]
[quote author=falconfanatic link=topic=101078.msg1250878#msg1250878 date=1345869184]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=101078.msg1250778#msg1250778 date=1345864835]
[quote author=falconfanatic link=topic=101078.msg1250115#msg1250115 date=1345827005]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=101078.msg1247910#msg1247910 date=1345506224]
Cola you are behind on the latest news. Word is AFA will go football only to the BE and put other sports in Patriot League. This is a very very very attractive move for AFA.
1. Patriot League is a high rated academic conference over the average MWC.
2. Air Force will join Navy and Army in non-football sports.
3. BE football money

IMHO, I think there is a 95 percent chance AFA makes the move.
This will leave MWC with only 8 all spots schools. The big question is, what will the MWC do?
1. Stay at 8/9...very risky move. Deja vu of the WAC.
2. Invite a few schools.
So Cola, if the MWC invite 1, 2, or, 5 schools. Cola what schools will get the invite?
I can only think of 2 west of Texas, NMSU and Idaho. Idaho is a no go so that leaves just NMSU. MWC already told NMSU no. MWC said they are looking at Texas schools.Ok, what Texas schools? certainly not CUSA Texas schools. I can only think of Texas st, Lamar, and maybe UTA. Yes, this is a risky move for Texas st but this is a move that hops over the SBC. I would doubt the Texas st would ever consider going down to the SBC in the future unless the situation becomes desperate. Can you tell me where I am going wrong?
[/quote]

AFA football may join the Big East, but there is no way in heck that their other sports join the Patriot league. The patriot league conference is full of small schools with small athletic budgets. In the MWC AFA's longest conference road trip for non-football sports was Fresno at about 840 miles away. In the Patriot league their shortest road trip would be Bucknell at 1500 miles away. The AFA travel budget would sky rocket. They would be sending multiple teams almost every week on 1500+ mile road trips, maybe AFA can afford that, but I seriously doubt the Patriot league member schools want to add a conference opponent that's 1500+ miles away.
[/quote]The plan is to get Denver to travel partner with AFA. I think the Patriot League would welcome all 3 service academies.
[/quote]

That would be an even worse idea, because now you're talking about non-revenue sports possibly making 2 1500+ mile trips instead of 1. I just don't see either AFA or the Patriot League wanting to make this move. What's the incentive?
[/quote]Knock Knock, do you not know what a travel partner is. It would be just the opposite of what you said. Non-revenue would make 1 trip for 2 games.

The incentive for AFA is a huge payday in BE football and Olympic sports in conference with Navy and Army.
Denver men's sports, lacrosse, hockey, men's swimming and diving fits very well in Patriot League. Denver already needs to travel to play those sports, why not do it in a conference.
[/quote]

Umm.. Knock knock you do know that wouldn't work for every sport right? Or do you expect baseball and softball to play 6 games in 1 weekend or stay the whole week in CO. and miss all they're classes( that would go over real well in the patriot league ::))

BTW I was asking what is the incentive for the patriot league? They already have two of the service academies and they cleary are not that concerned with athletics, they didn't even allow athletic scholarships until about 12 year ago. I doubt the majority of their member schools would want to make this move.

[quote name="UNLV" post="1254323" timestamp="1346293125"]
[quote author=WOS95 link=topic=101078.msg1253883#msg1253883 date=1346253836]
[/quote]Flawed logic. Texas st has Texas Tech at their home, UL-Monroe has Baylor. Do you honestly think Lamar would be having attendance drops if Texas Tech and Baylor was coming to Beaumont instead of Langston and Mcmury?  honestly?
[/quote]

if we had those games on the schedule great and attendance probably would be high, so i agree with you there...but thats only 2 games out of 6 home games...what about the other 4 home games..do u honestly think that if our team is not good more people will attend just because we played baylor and texas tech?

[quote name="WOS95" post="1254564" timestamp="1346333222"]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=101078.msg1254323#msg1254323 date=1346293125]
[/quote]

if we had those games on the schedule great and attendance probably would be high, so i agree with you there...but thats only 2 games out of 6 home games...what about the other 4 home games..do u honestly think that if our team is not good more people will attend just because we played baylor and texas tech?
[/quote]Yes. If Lamar stinks but is playing a Baylor or Tech at home, more people will attend than if Lamar was good but playing Langston.

[quote name="UNLV" post="1254585" timestamp="1346335228"]
[quote author=WOS95 link=topic=101078.msg1254564#msg1254564 date=1346333222]
[/quote]

[/quote]Yes. If Lamar stinks but is playing a Baylor or Tech at home, more people will attend than if Lamar was good but playing Langston.
[/quote]

Playing FBS teams in Beaumont will always draw more fans than D2 or NAIA teams, but those are early non-conference games.  The question is can Lamar draw fans against teams like New Mexico, Colorado State and Utah State when they are having bad years?  Since playing FBS football is a lot more expensive than at the FCS level, the attendance needs to be a lot better than if they stay in the SLC and play home games SFA, SHSU, NW State, etc.

As long as Lamar insists on playing 6 home games a year there will almost always be a D2 or NAIA game on the schedule.  If Lamar moves up to FBS and insists on 6 home games they will not be able to fill their non conference schedule with the TX Tech's and Baylor's of the world and they will have to schedule FCS programs to go along with a conference home schedule of New Mexico, Colorado State and Utah State which I doubt will equal decent attendance especially during the transition years when they will not be very competitive.

[quote name="UNLV" post="1254585" timestamp="1346335228"]
[quote author=WOS95 link=topic=101078.msg1254564#msg1254564 date=1346333222]

guess we will have to agree to disagree  8)
[/quote]

[/quote]

[quote name="kingkat99" post="1254681" timestamp="1346343710"]
As long as Lamar insists on playing 6 home games a year there will almost always be a D2 or NAIA game on the schedule.  If Lamar moves up to FBS and insists on 6 home games they will not be able to fill their non conference schedule with the TX Tech's and Baylor's of the world and they will have to schedule FCS programs to go along with a conference home schedule of New Mexico, Colorado State and Utah State which I doubt will equal decent attendance especially during the transition years when they will not be very competitive.
[/quote]

Don't forget, with the Hawai'i game, we're playing 12 games this year while the remainder of the conference is playing 11 excluding play-off games.  That gives us an extra home game.

I'm ok with D2 / NAIA home games (McMurray is transitioning to DII) for the first few years, but later I'd like to see us move to "Quality" over "Quantity" after the next year or so.  Coach Knight's goal is no D2's in basketball.  I'd like to see the same thing in football.

Right now, our home schedule is not a lot different from the one that UTSA, another start-up, has this year (except for the WAC teams on their schedule).  UTSA is playing two Division II teams in addition to McNeese and UTSA's WAC conference mates at home.

[url=http://www.goutsa.com/SportSelect.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=13100&SPID=34919&SPSID=601025]http://www.goutsa.com/SportSelect.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=13100&SPID=34919&SPSID=601025[/url]

[quote name="LUSportsFan" post="1254738" timestamp="1346347185"]
[quote author=kingkat99 link=topic=101078.msg1254681#msg1254681 date=1346343710]
[/quote]

I'm ok with D2 / NAIA home games (McMurray is transitioning to DII) for the first few years, but later I'd like to see us move to "Quality" over "Quantity" after the next year or so.  Coach Knight's goal is no D2's in basketball.  I'd like to see the same thing in football.

Right now, our home schedule is not a lot different from the one that UTSA, another start-up, has this year (except for the WAC teams on their schedule).  UTSA is playing two Division II teams in addition to McNeese and UTSA's WAC conference mates at home.

[url=http://www.goutsa.com/SportSelect.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=13100&SPID=34919&SPSID=601025]http://www.goutsa.com/SportSelect.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=13100&SPID=34919&SPSID=601025[/url]
[/quote]

Not that it matters really but UTSA is a year behind Lamar as a start up so their schedule is what it is.  Playing only FCS or better each year will require travelling more and will also require not backing out on people after they come here to Bmt when its time to return the favor like they did last season or people will become very leary of scheduling home and homes with LU unless LU comes there first. 

Backing out of games happens all the time in College football.  That's why contracts have "out" clauses in them.  Examples other than our one game are Texas State dropping Hawaii this year,  Texas A&M dropping McNeese this year,  Louisiana Tech dropping us this year, and LSU dropping a bunch of games against A&M in the 90's and on and on.

I think my comment of moving home games toward "Quality" indicated that there could possibly be more away games so we are in agreement there.  I'd like to see us do like SHSU did when it moved away from the multiple D2/NAIA home games it had in 2000, 2002, 2003, 2004, and 2007.

----------------------------------------------

To get this back to the original topic, I'm still excited that football is back at LU.  I'd like to see us move up.  I'd like us to move up with some of our conference mates.  If we do get the chance to move up in the future, we need to have a commitment to do it correctly.  Otherwise, we'd kill the program.

The 'new' MWC is at best only marginally better than the Sun Belt.  When you factor in travel; the SBC is much better for Lamar, particularly in the non-revenue sports.

As a Cajun fan, I would love to add Lamar and NMSU to the Sun Belt and go to divisions.  The renewal of the UL/LU rivalry in basketball and baseball would be great. 

[quote name="vobserver" post="1254824" timestamp="1346353228"]
The 'new' MWC is at best only marginally better than the Sun Belt.  When you factor in travel; the SBC is much better for Lamar, particularly in the non-revenue sports.

As a Cajun fan, I would love to add Lamar and NMSU to the Sun Belt and go to divisions.  The renewal of the UL/LU rivalry in basketball and baseball would be great.
[/quote]

I think Sun Belt is the preferred conference for both fans and the administration, but right now seems like the Sun Belt isn't too interested in either Lamar or New Mexico State.  But looking at the map of the Sun Belt, there's only 4 football playing schools west of the Mississippi so adding Lamar and NMSU would balance things out.

Guest tigersvoice
[quote name="jdcurran235" post="1254855" timestamp="1346356518"]
I wonder how our new president feels about upgrading to FBS?
[/quote]

Who is the NEW President? ???

[quote name="coachacola" post="1254853" timestamp="1346356322"]
[quote author=vobserver link=topic=101078.msg1254824#msg1254824 date=1346353228]

[/quote]

I think Sun Belt is the preferred conference for both fans and the administration, but right now seems like the Sun Belt isn't too interested in either Lamar or New Mexico State.  But looking at the map of the Sun Belt, there's only 4 football playing schools west of the Mississippi so adding Lamar and NMSU would balance things out.
[/quote]

Unfortunately, that is true.  The Sun Belt's eastern schools do not want to add in the west.  They want Appalachian State and maybe Georgia Southern and push South Alabama and Troy to the West.  The western schools would prefer NMSU and a Texas School, and put Troy and USA in the east.  Lamar would certainly be in the mix if the Western schools got their way. 

Another possibility is that UTA adds football, and the SBC adds only one more.  Lamar again would be a possibility if that happened. 

No No No, you guys got it wrong....AGAIN.

The SBC is a regional fit for Lamar, and it would be nice to renew old rivalries. But the SBC over all sports is only slightly better than the SLC. The only benefit in going to the SBC is FBS.

OTOH, the MWC also offer FBS but only slightly better than the SBC. However the MWC basketball is ranked 8th among 32 conferences with the 3 worse MWC MBB schools leaving. The SBC is ranked 19th, SLC 28th. MWC is ranked very slightly below the A-10 and PAC 12 for the 6th spot. The exposure for Lamar would be huge. Top 25 teams coming to Beaumont, ESPN highlights regularly, and at least 3-4 ESPN./ESPN2 late games per season. In the SBC, ZERO ESPN/.ESPN2 games. In the SLC, Pat Knight stays for a few successful seasons. In the MWC, Knight stays a long time. Lamar would be crazy insane to choose the SBC over the MWC.

[quote name="UNLV" post="1255023" timestamp="1346366977"]

The SBC is a regional fit for Lamar, and it would be nice to renew old rivalries. But the SBC over all sports is only slightly better than the SLC. The only benefit in going to the SBC is FBS.

OTOH, the MWC also offer FBS but only slightly better than the SBC. However the MWC basketball is ranked 8th among 32 conferences with the 3 worse MWC MBB schools leaving. The SBC is ranked 19th, SLC 28th. MWC is ranked very slightly below the A-10 and PAC 12 for the 6th spot. The exposure for Lamar would be huge. Top 25 teams coming to Beaumont, ESPN highlights regularly, and at least 3-4 ESPN./ESPN2 late games per season. In the SBC, ZERO ESPN/.ESPN2 games. In the SLC, Pat Knight stays for a few successful seasons. In the MWC, Knight stays a long time. Lamar would be crazy insane to choose the SBC over the MWC.
[/quote]

unlv..u make it sound so simple....if only it were so...

[quote name="WOS95" post="1255059" timestamp="1346369126"]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=101078.msg1255023#msg1255023 date=1346366977]

[/quote]

unlv..u make it sound so simple....if only it were so...
[/quote]It is simple. Just accept the invite if offered. It would help if Lamar released an artist drawing of what an expanded stadium would look like nudge nudge.

Lamar vs UNLV.....my heart is torn...lol

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder