2012 Orange Community Christian Lions Team Preview

[center][img]http://i45.tinypic.com/fm6vrt.png[/img][/center]

[center][size=18pt][b][u][i]ORANGE COMMUNITY CHRISTIAN LIONS[/i][/u][/B][/size][/center]
[center][b][size=12pt]2011 Record: 6-4 Overall, 3-2 District (3rd Place in TAPPS 6 man 4-II)[/center]

[size=12pt]When a school first starts a football program, much is usually not expected.  However, when that football program is started in the blue and silver shadow that covers the greater Orange area, expectations of quality play are there.  In 2011, in their first year of TAPPS 6 man, Division II, the Orange Community Christian Lions easily exceeded those expectations as Coach Adam Strandberg and his charges posted a 6-4 mark, including an 85-65 win over defending state champion Brenham Christian and earned a spot in the TAPPS Division II playoffs.  The success of last year, buoyed by the fact that nearly all of the starters from the 2011 squad return and an increase in participation which will see the squad increase to as many as 15-20 players this year, leaves the folks in Orange with feelings of nothing but sheer optimism.

[b][u][size=14pt]Coaching Staff[/u][/b]

[size=12pt][b]Head Coach: Larry Spears[/b]
Coaching Record:  1st year coach

[b]Assistant Coaches:[/b]

Dan Brack, Offensive Coordinator; Johnny Robinson, Defensive Coordinator; Chris Bellard, Offensive Line/Defensive Line

[b][u][size=14pt]Stadium Information*[/u][/b]

[size=12pt][b]Home Stadium: Stewart Field[/b]
Address: 3400 Martin Luther King Jr. Drive, Orange, Texas 77632
Capacity: 200
Playing surface: Natural

[b][u][size=14pt]2011 Results[/u][/b]

[table][tr][td][size=12pt][b][color=black]Opponent[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][b][color=black]Score[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Houston Texas Christian#[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]80-71[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Brenham Christian#[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]85-65[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Baytown Christian[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]9-54[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Chester[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]44-42[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Bellville Faith#[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]1-0 (F)[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Humble Christian Life[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]82-88[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Dickinson Pine Drive#[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]0-49[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Tomball Christian Home School JV[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]49-0[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Alvin Living Stones#[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]32-36[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Heath Fulton Academy##[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]25-70[/td][/tr]
[/table]
[size=12pt]# - District games
## - Playoff games

[size=14pt][b][u]2012 Offense[/u][/b][/size]

[size=12pt][b]Offense: Spread, I and Wing
Returning Starters: 5[/b]

This year, senior quarterback Brett Foster will handle the reigns of the CCS offense which averaged a little over 47 points a game in 2011.  The big cogs of that offense lie in the legs of senior running back C.J. Wagner (2011 SETXsports 6 man player of the Year, 108 carries, 1,563 yards, 26 TDs) and senior fullback Alex Parrish (30 carries, 231 yds, 4 TD).  However, the Lion talent does not end there.  Coach Strandberg is looking for big seasons out of returning junior wide receiver Marquis Grant, receiver Joe LeBlanc, who returns after missing most of the 2011 with a neck injury suffered in Week 2, and sophomore tight end Jacob Alexander.  Amron Akhtar, Ryan Tibbetts and DeAndre Jones will return to man the Lion offensive line.  Look for utility man Joseph Pulido, as well as freshmen Jordan Humble, Dakota Alexander, James Cornell, Ethan Beard and Jacob Corbello to make contributions on offense.

[size=14pt][b][u]2012 Defense[/u][/b][/size]

[size=12pt][b]Defense: 4-2 and Spread Zone
Returning starters: 5[/b]

As expected, most of the guys that will be prominent on offense will see time on the defensive side of the ball as well.  While Coach Strandberg will miss the contributions of the graduated Jacob Trevino, he has plenty of talent both returning and rising up on the defensive side of the ball.  Parrish (96 tackles, 3 sacks, 3 forced fumbles) will lead the defense from his linebacker position.  He will be behind a line that will feature Akhtar at defensive end and Grant (19 tackles, 3 sacks, 3 forced fumbles and 3 fumble recoveries in only 2 games).  Another linebacker that the Lions are looking for an immediate big impact from is freshman Jordan Humble, a quick player who loves contact.  Free safety Wagner (61 tackles, 1 forced fumble, 1 fumble recover and 2 ints returned for TD) and cornerback Jacob Alexander (29 tackles, 3 interceptions, 1 returned for a TD) will anchor the CCS secondary, but expect Dakota Alexander to get some playing time there as well.  Also, Strandberg will be looking for big contributions from Foster, LeBlanc and Jones on the defensive side of the ball.

[size=14pt][b][u]2012 Special teams[/u][/b][/size]

Foster, a strong legged kicker with a range of 45 yards in, will handle the place kicking duties.  Rare punts will be handled by Jacob Alexander, who will join Wagner and Grant as the featured Lion kick returners.

[size=14pt][b][u]2012 Key Games[/u][/b][/size]

CCS will open its 2012 season on September 1st as they take on old friend Huntsville Alpha Omega in the Bayou Classic in Dickinson.  District play again starts early for the Lions as they host Bellville Faith on September 15th and a week later travel to fellow SETX 6 man school Chester.  A 3 week stretch starting on September 28th in which they play Brenham Christian, Dickinson Pine Drive and Alvin Living Stones will tell the tale on the 2012 season.  The final district game is on November 10th against new district foe, Magnolia Legacy Prep.

[size=14pt][b][u]2012 Schedule[/u][/b][/size]

[table][tr][td][size=12pt][b][color=black]Date[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][b][color=black]Opponent[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][b][color=black]Time[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Sept. 1[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]at Huntsville Alpha Omega[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]7:30 p.m.[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Sept. 8[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]at Houston Emery Weiner[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]7:00 p.m.[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Sept. 15[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]Bellville Faith#[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]4:00 p.m.[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Sept. 21[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]at Katy Faith West[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]7:00 p.m.[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Sept. 28[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]at Brazosport Christian#[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]7:00 p.m.[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Oct. 5[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]at Brenham Christian#[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]7:00 p.m.[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Oct. 13[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]OPEN[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black][/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Oct. 20[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]at Houston Mt. Carmel[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]7:00 p.m.[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Oct. 26[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]at Alvin Living Stones#[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]7:00 p.m.[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Nov. 3[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]Houston Texas Christian#[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]7:30 p.m.[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Nov. 10[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]Magnolia Legacy Prep#[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]12:00 p.m.[/td][/tr][/table]
[size=12pt]#-District Games

*-Source: Texas Football Stadium Database - http://www.texasbob.com/stadium/stadium.php?id=1572
Helmets Courtesy of: http://www.txhshelmetproject.com/

• 3 weeks later...
Larry is a phenominal guy and will do a great job at CCS. The rest of the staff is still intact with Chris Bellard, Dan Brack, and Johnny Robinson. These guys are all very dedicated and should have a very successful year in six man. I look for that team to compete very strongly for a State ring this year. I know they are only a second year program, but they have talent that most public schools would like to have. Good Luck Lions!!! It was an honor to coach you boys!!

[quote name="Stranny" post="1239461" timestamp="1343170658"]
Larry is a phenominal guy and will do a great job at CCS. The rest of the staff is still intact with Chris Bellard, Dan Brack, and Johnny Robinson. These guys are all very dedicated and should have a very successful year in six man. I look for that team to compete very strongly for a State ring this year. I know they are only a second year program, but they have talent that most public schools would like to have. Good Luck Lions!!! It was an honor to coach you boys!!
[/quote]

Coach, I know those guys felt it was an honor to play for you.  I understand that you are now on the LC-M staff.  Coach Crouch has made a very good addition to the staff.  Good luck this season.....after Week 0 that is. :)

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="1239463" timestamp="1343170794"]
[quote author=Stranny link=topic=100784.msg1239461#msg1239461 date=1343170658]
[/quote]

Coach, I know those guys felt it was an honor to play for you.  I understand that you are now on the LC-M staff.  Coach Crouch has made a very good addition to the staff.  Good luck this season.....after Week 0 that is. :)
[/quote]

HAHA!! Yeah that week 0 Game will be a fun one. Yes sir I am at LC-M now, and very honored that Randy asked me to be on his staff, great group of guys looking to turn that program into a perenial contender. Thanks man for all of the coverage you gave me and the boys at CCS. It was/is very much appreciated.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83