I think....

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the Sun Belt would be a good move but I'm not seeing a big increase of fan support with it. LU fans are already showing their ho hum attitude with football. A LOT of empty seats last year. And if the weather is too chilly, hot, or rainy they don't exist. And this is coming from a proud Lamar Cardinal.

[quote name="77" post="1221843" timestamp="1336878451"]
Have to win regularly to keep those butts in the seats.
[/quote]
That's where it's at.  You gotta win.

This may get me banned from the board, but I'm not convinced Lamar's Woodard is that good.  Too bad LU didn't put some real money into the HC position and hire someone with FCS or FBS head coaching experience instead of a JC coach.  A person with a name and some shingles on the wall.  Look at what UTSA has done with Coker in year one.  Not many wins and probably won't be many this season, but Coker has the experience to move that program up.

And I'll tell you another thing, Lamar has to learn to spend money on good assistant coaches.  $50,000 for a position coach won't get you many good takers.  Only the retreads.  And if you happen to get a really good position coach, you have to pay them well to keep them.

[quote name="ShlyKBMT" post="1221839" timestamp="1336877887"]
I think the Sun Belt would be a good move but I'm not seeing a big increase of fan support with it. LU fans are already showing their ho hum attitude with football. A LOT of empty seats last year. And if the weather is too chilly, hot, or rainy they don't exist. And this is coming from a proud Lamar Cardinal.
[/quote]Baylor is going to UL-Monroe, Okie st went to ULL. Bring those teams to Beaumont, you will get a full stadium. No one gets excited over Nichols st.

I agree with green. Look at what Pat Knight did with basketball. Woodard is boring.

[quote name="77" post="1221823" timestamp="1336876258"]
How many sold out games did Lamar have last year? what is capacity about 16000?
[/quote]

zero,......................but we COULD build a big arse stadium like Green menance's at NTSU and do the same thing...fill half of it

[quote name="Green Menace" post="1221853" timestamp="1336882306"]
[quote author=77 link=topic=99866.msg1221843#msg1221843 date=1336878451]
Have to win regularly to keep those butts in the seats.
[/quote]
That's where it's at.  You gotta win.

This may get me banned from the board, but I'm not convinced Lamar's Woodard is that good.  Too bad LU didn't put some real money into the HC position and hire someone with FCS or FBS head coaching experience instead of a JC coach.  A person with a name and some shingles on the wall.  Look at what UTSA has done with Coker in year one.  Not many wins and probably won't be many this season, but Coker has the experience to move that program up.

And I'll tell you another thing, Lamar has to learn to spend money on good assistant coaches.  $50,000 for a position coach won't get you many good takers.  Only the retreads.  And if you happen to get a really good position coach, you have to pay them well to keep them.
[/quote]

you are not alone there, Green...i think ray ray is in way over his head

[quote name="77" post="1221910" timestamp="1336923030"]
Those teams I'am sure have no desire to play Lamar untill they can establish a winning program. It would be a pay day for Lamar but I cant see the benefit for them.jmo.
[/quote]Oklahoma St is already on Lamar schedule, so is Texas AM. Also those teams would not play Lamar if Lamar could beat them.

[quote name="puddin tane" post="1221917" timestamp="1336928461"]
[quote author=77 link=topic=99866.msg1221823#msg1221823 date=1336876258]
[/quote]

zero,......................but we COULD build a big arse stadium like Green menance's at NTSU and do the same thing...fill half of it
[/quote]
What's with the North Texas hate?  BTW, we haven't been North Texas State University since the late 1980's.  You must be a closet SMUt fan.  No?

[quote name="Green Menace" post="1221956" timestamp="1336943172"]
[quote author=puddin tane link=topic=99866.msg1221917#msg1221917 date=1336928461]
[/quote]

[/quote]
What's with the North Texas hate?  BTW, we haven't been North Texas State University since the late 1980's.  You must be a closet SMUt fan.  No?
[/quote]
Puddin Tane hates on all current and former SLC schools so it's not personal!  ;D

[quote name="coachacola" post="1221984" timestamp="1336957948"]
[quote author=Green Menace link=topic=99866.msg1221956#msg1221956 date=1336943172]
[quote author=puddin tane link=topic=99866.msg1221917#msg1221917 date=1336928461]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]
Puddin Tane hates on all current and former SLC schools so it's not personal!  ;D
[/quote]

i know thats right!.....altho..some i hate, but repsect somewhat--slam /mcsleeze/UL-L..some i dont really give a hoot about..UTA, NT,UL-m...and some i just plain ole hate-- ...san marcos jr college would be in that category

gotta get mcneese and sam games outta deer season..........

and no..[size=18pt]I'm an LU fan[/size]

[quote name="UNLV" post="1221950" timestamp="1336940570"]
[quote author=77 link=topic=99866.msg1221910#msg1221910 date=1336923030]
Those teams I'am sure have no desire to play Lamar untill they can establish a winning program. It would be a pay day for Lamar but I cant see the benefit for them.jmo.
[/quote]Oklahoma St is already on Lamar schedule, so is Texas AM. Also those teams would not play Lamar if Lamar could beat them.
[/quote]So whats the problem?

UNLV you need to change your title of this thread to "I hope....." as their really is no tangible evidence for any of us "out of the loop" fans that LU is even pursueing a FBS invitation with the Sun Belt or any other conference.  This is all fun to speculate for us fans that would like to see LU make that move, but really I cannot deduce from anything I have seen or heard that the Cards will try to make the move.

The clues are there, you just need to put them together.
1. Student fees went up at Lamar
2. Woodard gets a raise that looks like a transition raise but not full FBS.
3. Benson mention both SHSU and Lamar to balance all the eastern adds.
4 Sunbelt needs representation near Houston
5. CUSA mentioned going 16. Lamar might get in that 16 or CUSA raids the Sunbelt which leads to the Sunbelt needing members.

Before I get attacked on the CUSA.
La Tech is 68 miles from Shreveport 400k MSA.
Beaumont/PAT MSA 400k is 76 miles from Houston 6,300k MSA. I call that attractive to a CUSA who also needs a western public school near Houston.

[quote name="UNLV" post="1223048" timestamp="1337219874"]
Benson continue to mention SHSU and east Texas for expansion. I wonder if he means SFA and SHSU.
[/quote]
Well, both schools are in larger media markets than Lamar!  ::)  Seriously, neither one is joining the Sun Belt anytime soon.

[quote name="UNLV" post="1223048" timestamp="1337219874"]
Benson continue to mention SHSU and east Texas for expansion. I wonder if he means SFA and SHSU.
[/quote]

The sooner he forgets all about SHSU the better.  We havent got the money, facilities or fan base to make that kind of move right now.  And Sam may have a smaller TV market in the greater Huntsville area so Im guessing our proximity to Houston makes us appealing.

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="1223300" timestamp="1337278654"]
[quote author=kingkat99 link=topic=99866.msg1223257#msg1223257 date=1337274829]
I hope its Lamar or SFA.
[/quote]

Honest inquiry here. Why is that your wish and not SHSU?
[/quote]

Because outside of a feasibility study SH has done nothing to prepare itself for such a move.  There has not been a capital campaign started, our facilities need a ton of work and expansion in some cases(see capital campaign) and we dont have a fan base at this point that would go very far in sustaining such a move.  I think that this is not a decision that should be made on a wim or out of fear another opportunity may be a long time coming or not at all.  If you're going to do something then do it right.  And lastly our playoff run last season was awesome and it was a great experience to be apart of that and I would hate to lose the opportunity to be apart of something like that again in the future.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder