I think....

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The TSUS Board of Regents meeting is coming up the last week of May on Lamar's campus.  If they are going to change conferences soon then it'll need to be on the agenda.  The TSUS website should post the agenda any day now.

My guess is that Lamar will get invited to the Sun Belt next year which would put them in the Sun Belt for the 2014-2015 school year.  Two more years at the FCS level would probably be a good thing for the football program.

North, If Lamar wants to move, Lamar needs to act soon. The conferences want all FCS to move up quickly as to shake off that FCS image fast.

Cola, I disagree with your timing and conference. Lamar can go FBS for 2013 if the invite is before July. I don't think any conference will allow to Lamar snail pace it's way in. Lamar is not that attractive.

Also the conference may not necessary be the Sunbelt. Sam Houston might get the Sunbelt call.

[quote name="UNLV" post="1220388" timestamp="1336664175"]
North, If Lamar wants to move, Lamar needs to act soon. The conferences want all FCS to move up quickly as to shake off that FCS image fast.

Cola, I disagree with your timing and conference. Lamar can go FBS for 2013 if the invite is before July. I don't think any conference will allow to Lamar snail pace it's way in. Lamar is not that attractive.

Also the conference may not necessary be the Sunbelt. Sam Houston might get the Sunbelt call.
[/quote]

Alright so now give us your best prediction of what conference you think it will be if not the SBC.  I am thinking that it will be the SBC or no FBS for LU at this time.

I hear the CUSA wants to expand past 14 teams but we won't see Lamar going there.  The WAC is pretty much dead as a football conference.  What other conference is there besides the Sun Belt?

Conference movement is stopping after this year, but Lamar definitely needs to be ready to jump at anytime.  The window of opportunity won't stay open very long, but they probably have another year or two before to decide.

I don't think Lamar moves up to a FBS level unless Dr. Simmons has the backing of some big donors to help finance the move.  I think they need some commitments to help pay for stadium expansion before they commit to going FBS.

[quote name="NorthoftheBorder" post="1220392" timestamp="1336664506"]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=99866.msg1220388#msg1220388 date=1336664175]

[/quote]

Alright so now give us your best prediction of what conference you think it will be if not the SBC.  I am thinking that it will be the SBC or no FBS for LU at this time.
[/quote]That is what I thought a few days ago in my rants. I think LU can go FBS without it being the Sunbelt. SETX is more than big enough to support a FBS and the gravy on top would be 6 million people 1 hour away. SETX and Houston talent needs a public school option for this non-sunbelt conference. SETX/Houston talent not going to the UH or Big 12 need a local FBS option and this conference might be willing to let Lamar serve as that option. All I'm saying is the Sunbelt is not Lamar's only option as I once believed.

[quote name="coachacola" post="1220405" timestamp="1336666233"]
I hear the CUSA wants to expand past 14 teams but we won't see Lamar going there.  The WAC is pretty much dead as a football conference.  What other conference is there besides the Sun Belt?

Conference movement is stopping after this year, but Lamar definitely needs to be ready to jump at anytime.  The window of opportunity won't stay open very long, but they probably have another year or two before to decide.

I don't think Lamar moves up to a FBS level unless Dr. Simmons has the backing of some big donors to help finance the move.  I think they need some commitments to help pay for stadium expansion before they commit to going FBS.
[/quote]CUSA is going 16. So far CUSA is very heavy on the eastern side so western schools are needed. Keep in mind ULL or an Ark st are very low on the academic pole as is most Sunbelt schools. Texas st could have been that western school but for UTSA. CUSA needs something closer to Houston.

[quote name="coachacola" post="1220405" timestamp="1336666233"]

[b]I don't think Lamar moves up to a FBS level unless Dr. Simmons has the backing of some big donors to help finance the move.  I think they need some commitments to help pay for stadium expansion before they commit to going FBS.[/b]
[/quote]

Lamar needs to make a commitment to stadium expansion NOW!  The big donors are in Beaumont and Lamar should start the ball rolling to expand Provost Umphrey to 30,000.  Dr. Simmons is a "get it done" President and stadium expansion could easily happen.  It'll make Lamar much more attractive.

Sooner or later, if Lamar goes FBS, our dream of brining like TCU, Texas Tech, Miami of OH, Miss. St., or maybe Air Force to PU could be a reality! Not only it will boost recruiting for both teams but boost the economy for the area as well in addition to attracting new students for both schools, especially Lamar!

If Lamar is destined for the Sunbelt, announce it already. I am all realignment out. However more may be coming including BIG 12 expansion, Big East expansion or split, CUSA and Sunbelt might lose members. Lamar needs to get in the mix.

We need to start a petition drive in order to lobby to Commissioner Benson so that he could include Lamar in its conference expansion plans and we need to do it right now! Having Lamar going FBS would be a big advantage not only to the university but to the entire community like I said! It would attract students to both schools as well! It would heavily boost tourism and the economy to the Greater Houston/Golden Triangle area! Also, Lamar is more than one and a half to two hours from Houston and like three hours from New Orleans! We need to start getting off our rears and act now! If Lamar goes FBS and schedules a home game with the Air Force Academy, I will definitely be there! Would you? I understand that would be a few years from now if that dream becomes a reality!

[quote name="skipmeister" post="1220797" timestamp="1336753979"]
[b]If Lamar goes FBS and schedules a home game with the Air Force Academy, I will definitely be there! Would you? [/b]
[/quote]
So your saying that you don't currently attend LU football home games and would only do so if they go FBS?  :o
Sounds like the fairweather fans that helped ruin the program the first time!

[quote name="Green Menace" post="1220730" timestamp="1336741400"]
[quote author=puddin tane link=topic=99866.msg1220724#msg1220724 date=1336738873]
nice NT stadium pic...with a crowd???  Reba McEntire concert?
[/quote]

Uh, no.  That's called FBS football.  Lamar should try it sometime.

Touche'
[/quote]

[i]Home attendance at Apogee Stadium averaged 19,445 per game, or [b]63%[/b] of the facility's capacity of 30,850.[/i]
Thats called NTSU football-----

[quote name="puddin tane" post="1221484" timestamp="1336843999"]
[quote author=Green Menace link=topic=99866.msg1220730#msg1220730 date=1336741400]
[quote author=puddin tane link=topic=99866.msg1220724#msg1220724 date=1336738873]
nice NT stadium pic...with a crowd???  Reba McEntire concert?
[/quote]

Uh, no.  That's called FBS football.  Lamar should try it sometime.

Touche'
[/quote]

[i]Home attendance at Apogee Stadium averaged 19,445 per game, or [b]63%[/b] of the facility's capacity of 30,850.[/i]
Thats called NTSU football-----
[/quote]

When you're coming off of 4 straight losing seasons of Todd Dodge ball, sometimes that has an effect on game attendance.  Not to mention the monsoon NT had at the last home game's pounding of Middle Tenn State.  Can our attendance be better?  Certainly.  Probably won't see it until we start a Conference USA schedule in 2013.  I like our chances of moving up the food chain and the subsequent increase in attendance.

BTW, is this Lamars only football message board?  Not much activity here.

Lamar's athletic budget will probably be around $15 million this coming year with the increased football salaries and softball getting into full swing.  With the departure of UTSA and Texas State, that will probably put Lamar at the top of the SLC as far as budgets go.  Lamar was also leading the commissioner's cup, but may fall short because the baseball team isn't any good and the softball is competing this year.

Dr. Simmons needs to find the funding to expand the stadium.  I like UNT's stadium and Lamar's stadium would be very similar if they were to expand it.  Facilities wise, Lamar just needs some time to get the football stadium expanded along with the baseball/softball complex updated and completed.

It's been over a year since Dr. Simmons has talked about Lamar's FBS plans.  I wish he would give us an update on where he stands on this issue.  My hope is that he's been working behind the scenes in getting things done.

[quote name="jenks" post="1221792" timestamp="1336869589"]
Lamar needs to win the Southland Conference a few times before we move anywhere. We are just getting started back with Football.
[/quote]I agree with ya, kinda need to prove ya need to move up.

[quote name="77" post="1221814" timestamp="1336873969"]
[quote author=jenks link=topic=99866.msg1221792#msg1221792 date=1336869589]
Lamar needs to win the Southland Conference a few times before we move anywhere. We are just getting started back with Football.
[/quote]I agree with ya, kinda need to prove ya need to move up.
[/quote]

a touch of realism comes to the board!

i wouldnt mind the sunbelt one bit...but we just started up and the southland aint the end of the world

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder