DREW BEAN DAY

FROM THE COUNTY RECORD:

"Through sweltering, humid July heat, Drew Bean runs. Through the misty rain with a chill factor below freezing, Drew Bean runs.

And in November, he ran his way to a state championship.

Monday, Orange County Commissioners Court paid tribute to Bean with a proclamation declaring Dec. 11 as “Drew Bean Day†in Orange County. On Tuesday, Orange City Council declared “Drew Bean Day†in the city.

Bean, a senior at Little Cypress-Mauriceville High School, won the state 4-A cross country championship. And high school administrator Linda Warner told commissioners “He’s just as strong academically.â€

County Judge Carl Thibodeaux praised Bean for his discipline and commitment in working in an individual sport.

Bean is the son of Doyle and Debbie Bean. He began running as a child with his brothers playing sports, and “running from my parents,†he said. Usually, he’d stop for them.

When he was in the seventh grade, he began running track, then started with cross country in the eighth grade.

He told commissioners the cross country run is about three miles. He won the state championship by running the course in 15 minutes, 15 seconds, or 1 minute and 40 seconds faster than when he ran as a freshman.

“By far, in my 28 years of coaching, he’s the most dedicated student I’ve ever coached,†David Guidry said.

When Bean went before Commissioners Court to accept his proclamation, Thibodeaux asked him to speak at the microphone. “I’ve been told to let my legs do my talking,†Bean said shyly.

He said colleges are contacting him, but he hasn’t chosen one. He would like to study, perhaps, biochemistry to become a dentist.

And even though he won a state championship, he’s still out running every day. Track season is coming up and he’ll be competing in the 1600 and 3200 meter races.

So he runs, “rain, snow or shine,†he said. Last week, he ran during a tornado watch. Maybe to see if he could beat a twister. - For the Record"

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124