Lumberton vs. Nederland Boys Match Thread/Lumberton wins 2-0!

[quote name="futbol29" post="1204623" timestamp="1333167542"]
I was really hoping to see next year's district re-alignment feature a shift of the Lumberton team into 38-4A for more intense competition but I guess that would be a high hope.
[/quote]

Really??? Cause you squeaked by Livingston twice by one goal. The latest one on a gift from the beaumont ref. Carefull what you wish for cause you guys are losing a lot next year!

[quote name="freelancer1-1" post="1204621" timestamp="1333167109"]
I don't know what "ever young" means, but tonight Nederland started 2 seniors, 2 juniors, and 7 sophmores. While I don't dispute the outcome, the number 1 team from district 37-4A squeaked by the number 4 team from district 38-4A.  I wish you luck in the next round.
[/quote]

Every year Nederland is said to be a 'powerhouse' because they have such good players, but every year when they lose any game, especially in the playoffs, the excuse is always 'Nederland is a young team, they will be better next year'! Been hearing it for years!

Not really sure what you mean squeaked by livingston. They were playing a defensive set which made it very hard to score. The kid was shoving our forwardwith both hands in the back inside the box. Would not call that a gift.
As for nederland, a very young and talented team who will be very good in the next year or so. As i recall png only won the second time around by a score of 2-0, they beat Central, and the went to overtime with Vidor.  why then is it "squeaking by" when we win by 2 goals. Nederland is better than their record shows.

[quote name="CoachL" post="1204656" timestamp="1333197330"]
Not really sure what you mean squeaked by livingston. They were playing a defensive set which made it very hard to score. The kid was shoving our forwardwith both hands in the back inside the box. Would not call that a gift.
As for nederland, a very young and talented team who will be very good in the next year or so. As i recall png only won the second time around by a score of 2-0, they beat Central, and the went to overtime with Vidor.  why then is it "squeaking by" when we win by 2 goals. Nederland is better than their record shows.
[/quote]

I would call it a gift when you get a pk in overtime. The box is a physical place to play and where Lumberton likes to whine about every foul that doesnt go there way.

I've been around Nederland soccer since the beginning and I have personally never heard that excuse used when we lose.  I can't definitively speak for prior years, but I can say with certainty that this year they were young! I don't know if this will translate into a powerhouse team in the coming years, but I do think they can only get better! I've always had respect for Lumberton's program because they always produce tough teams. I can say that the team I watched last night is good, but not going deep! I don't see any team from either district going past the third round if they even manage to make it that far. Just my opinion though.

Guest KHS 89
I'm no soccer expert, but when you are starting 7 Sophmores... I'd say that's a young team. Did not see anyone on here making excuses for the loss either??

Tough loss for the bulldogs. Good luck to Lumberton in the next round.

[quote name="mcWIK7" post="1204647" timestamp="1333175235"]
[quote author=freelancer1-1 link=topic=98289.msg1204621#msg1204621 date=1333167109]
I don't know what "ever young" means, but tonight Nederland started 2 seniors, 2 juniors, and 7 sophmores. While I don't dispute the outcome, the number 1 team from district 37-4A squeaked by the number 4 team from district 38-4A.  I wish you luck in the next round.
[/quote]

Every year Nederland is said to be a 'powerhouse' because they have such good players, but every year when they lose any game, especially i
n the playoffs, the excuse is always 'Nederland is a young team, they will be better next year'! Been hearing it for years!
[/quote]
Before this year, Nederland WAS a 'Powerhouse' in SETX for 20+ years by winning 21/23 District Titles dating back to 1989. However, put those Nederland team's in areas of Houston, and they finish 2nd or 3rd in MOST of those District Title Years. I played on 2 of those District Title Teams, and only won 3 Playoff games in 2 years. Most of our district games were over by halftime. A 4-1 Victory was considered a close one. The truth is that soccer is played much differently in SETX than it is played in Houston. Much more skill is involved to win in Houston. This is not an opinion, but a fact. If it were not true, then why hasn't any team from SETX (other than Kelly) ever made (or won) the state title?  8)

[quote name="msualum" post="1206791" timestamp="1333640312"]
1999 Nederland lost in the State Final to Granbury I believe.
[/quote]
Really? Guess I missed that year!  :-[

U sure it was the Finals and not Semi-Finals? Either way, when a team (remember I played on 2 of those team's, so I'm not a 'Hater') wins District 21/23 years, there is usually more 'hardware' to show for it. Whether it be State Titles, Regional Titles, etc.

U are correct! Nederland finished 2nd in 1999, which was the first year 4A soccer had it's own State Championship. Before that, i believe all HS teams in TX competed on the 5A level. That team was led by (Senior) Davy Arnaud, who now plays professionally for Montreal Impact! He previously played for Sporting Kansas City before getting traded a couple of months ago.

Any other SETX players playing professionally?

[quote name="freelancer1-1" post="1204689" timestamp="1333203478"]
I've been around Nederland soccer since the beginning and I have personally never heard that excuse used when we lose.  I can't definitively speak for prior years, but I can say with certainty that this year they were young! I don't know if this will translate into a powerhouse team in the coming years, but I do think they can only get better! I've always had respect for Lumberton's program because they always produce tough teams. I can say that the team I watched last night is good, but not going deep! I don't see any team from either district going past the third round if they even manage to make it that far. Just my opinion though.
[/quote]

Please. Sir. I have read this blog 4 or 5 years straight when i played, and heard it every year. And you just tallied one up for this year! Go Nederland.............

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83

• Will probably be released by the Democrats come September.  Sound familiar?
    • Sure.  You reassign an employee and they leave voluntarily instead of being fired and being open to litigation.  The outcome is the same, but you are making my point.  The superintendent and AD and principal are all empowered to make personnel decisions.  Instead of accepting the decision made, you talk about lawyering up, no one else was reprimanded, railroad job.  I am old enough to remember when high school sports taught life lessons...accountability being chief among them.
    • I know absolutely nothing about the situation, but I do know head coaches of sports other than the AD have actual teaching assignments, and I know from my wife having worked in the sped department of multiple schools that it’s not uncommon at all for coaches to shirk those duties.  It could very well be that this was the case at BC.  Or not, I don’t know.  Just bringing this up to point out the fact that, although many coaches only want to worry about coaching, they generally have several other responsibilities at the school.  some of them neglect or ignore these duties entirely.  If he’s been written up for other issues before, it’s a dumb argument to say “he was punished for this and others were not”.  If he had a pile of write ups in his file and they did not then it makes sense that the punishments were different.  
    • He wasn’t fired, he was reassigned and people get reassigned all the time. If he was actually fired, then you would have a point, but he wasn’t fired. Based on the information presented here no way this would stand if they fired him and he lawyered up. 
    • I heard the assistant was going to get this job and assume it was referring to the old Vidor coach, Nate Smith.  I always thought he did more with less at Vidor and can't help but think he shares some responsibility in Vidor's recent success. 
  • Topics