Uconn Vs. Kentucky coach question

I will post this in the boys basketball

Just asking I am watching the Uconn Vs Kentucky womens elite 8 game and I noticed they have two male coaches, do you think they could coach mens basketball in college or would there be a difference?  Do you think Coach K at Duke could win as the womens coach?

Just want to see what everyone thinks

[quote name="txstatebsb" post="1202764" timestamp="1332896412"]
I will post this in the boys basketball

Just asking I am watching the Uconn Vs Kentucky womens elite 8 game and I noticed they have two male coaches, do you think they could coach mens basketball in college or would there be a difference?  Do you think Coach K at Duke could win as the womens coach?

Just want to see what everyone thinks
[/quote]

They absolutely could be successful Men's coaches as well.  Great coaches make adjustments to their schemes based on available personnel every season anyway.  Other than overall team speed (and the over-rated ability to dunk), there is little difference between collegiate Mens' and Womens' BB.  I think it would come down to whether they WANT to do it or not. 

And...Coach K would take the Little Sisters of the Poor Flying Nuns to a title with the decent players :)

Great post Hillguy.  I have no doubt that Pat Summit could coach any men's team in this country.  It has nothing to do with gender.  It has to do with knowledge of the game.  There are some excellent female coaches out there who are not given the opportunity to coach men.  I have always said, women are at a disadvantage when it comes to coaching opportunities because they are only considered for 50% of the jobs where as males are considered for 100%.  I have been around this game a long time and I have seen good and bad of both genders.  I have definitely seen some women coaches that I felt could have done a better job with a men's team than the present coach....and to be fair, I've known some men who would have done a better job than some females.  In her glory days at Texas, Jodi Condrat was asked about taking over the then struggling men's team.  Her response?  "Why would I want to take a demotion?"  Gotta love it! 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    siiyyaa
    Newest Member
    siiyyaa