Who Has The Best Gym In The Area?

Guest bleed orange

Orangefield has the best gym. It was built in the old days, when things were build right. It has the best lighting and the best floor. Ask anybody that has played there. Maybe I am a little biais because I live here. The new Gym will not compare to the the old one. Because our administration and school board hires the cheapest contracter instead of the most qualiftied. The only thing they care about is the TAKS scores.

Bleed Orange wrote:

Orangefield has the best gym. It was built in the old days, when things were build right. It has the best lighting and the best floor. Ask anybody that has played there. Maybe I am a little biais because I live here. The new Gym will not compare to the the old one. Because our administration and school board hires the cheapest contracter instead of the most qualiftied. The only thing they care about is the TAKS scores.

Bleed Orange, I agree with you on most things, but surely you were not intending to imply that our administration is only interested in the academic side, and therefore wrong? School is all about academics. If you are just dissatisfied with the TAKS test fixation, I am with you on that. However, the state has put our administration in the hot seat on that matter. I like my sports as much as anyone, but I would rather see our school perform better in academic challenges and college than they do now. Our administration hasn't shown itself to spend money wisely, you are correct. But, the athletic department hasn't suffered monetarily. Did you know they are cutting out one of the vocational programs next year? Also, our math preparedness is atrocious! Anyway, I am not trying to criticize you, I too love the old gym and it remains to be seen whether or not the new one will live up to expectations. I just thought that perhaps you misspoke on the TAKS thing.

Guest bleed orange

Maybe I was a little hard on our administration. But this not about spending money on athletics. I agree that academics are more important than athletics. But schools do not prepare kids for college, they prepare kids for TAKS test. Some of the kids never bring home a book to study, they don't have to. When they get to college it is a wake up call. I know that the state is responsible for this. That does not make it right. I know your hands are tide. But the whole system is wrong. You wont back a teacher or a coach because you are scared of being sued. About the gym, I am sure it will be somewhat nice, but Orangefield has a history of adwarding sub-standard contractor to built facilities, because they were the cheapest and in the long run it cost the school more money. You have not learned your lesson over the years. I will always bleed orange. I am sorry because I spoke to as if you were a administator. I think Orangefield is a wonderful place, that is why I grew up here and that is why my kids grew up here. I guess I am old school and wish it was like back in the old days. Wishful thinking I guess. School system have become like corporate America and that is what upsets me. I have gotten why off the subject, Sorry for that.

i havent seen deweyvilles new gym, but i think evadale has the best from what ive seen. burkeville build one a few years back and try to make theres similiar to evadales, but they added a stage at one end that just kills the basketball mood. overall though i think evadale built theirs right. great basketball environment, and i know when u play in it u feel like your playing big time games.

Bleed Orange, no offense taken, I hope. I must admit I had a VERY good laugh at the thought of me being a board member. You couldn't be farther from the truth, but it probably did seem as though I was defending them. Far from it, I usually fall on the other side of the fence. I am like you, I feel as though our kids aren't prepared for life and college, only for the TAKS. Yeah, we are way off topic, but it's all relative. Anyway, I think our old gym is in a class all by itself, the history and nostalgia there cannot be matched by anything new. :D

Guest BobcatBeliever

I'm with both of you OF bodies on both aspects. The great gym we have there and the fact that TAKS is way over taught. I am a teacher, as well as a parent of a struggling math student. In my opinion, which is just MY opinion, our math department pretty much sucks it up. I have a child right now facing the exit level test and is one of the few on about an 8th grade level of math, however is not a special ed student. Just one who was victim of poor teaching in early high school years. I do believe that administration feels backed against a wall where TAKS scores are concerned, but I also know that there is WAY too much emphasis placed on one test. Both from government levels and local levels. This test, again in my opinion, does in no way help prepare ANY of these kids for real life. It's hurting them. Again, just my opinion.

As far as gyms, there are many very nice ones out there. Ours is unique, which makes it special. Especially to us in OF. But Lumberton, Buna, BC, all have very nice gyms just to name a few.

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds like Little Jimmy has got a problem with Deweyville. Don't be jealous just move over. Hey we might even let you play sometime on it.At least we were smart enough to get something out of it. What's the matter your commnuity not ready to pass a bond ? Think on that long and hard before you reply. :oops:

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder