HJ At BC Cancelled Due To Lack Of Refs

Actually this is the second varsity game this year that I have heard of this happening,I have seen several JV games with only 1 official and even more freshman games called by the coaches.I know there is a severe shortage but also seem to be some problems with the scheduling.Anyone interested in becoming an official really ought to check out the Beaumont Chapter,they could use some more bodies.

Kville had a problem with the refs too.. Kville's girls Jv only had 1 ref, Freshman kville boys against Lumberton only had 1, and kville boys jv had one, then a bystander watching the game happen to be there and he reffed so 2 for the boys jv, and the girls varsity had 1 during warmups and waited an extra 4 min of warmups to get the other one to show up..kville boys varsity had 2.

I believe a lot of parties refuse to officiate basketball because of the fan heckling, bordering on verbal abuse. Now, with that said, I will take it one step farther and say - the reason they get so much verbal abuse officiating is because they do such a poor job.

High School basketball has turned into football without pads. The officials call only the fouls they "want" to call or "feel" like calling, instead of calling "every" foul. When you don't call everything, players will push the envelope, and then get frustrated by the calls that ARE made. Before you know it, the officials have lost control of the game, and then the verbal abuse from the stands starts. The answer is to be consistent, and call the game and make the players play the game the way it is supposed to be played!

Guest bleed orange

I have to agree birdman. The game has gotten way to physical. Because of this the kids don't play true defense anymore. Times have changed. Some people will get on here and say," why don't you become an official". I was but not basketball. I did football for 10 years. I only seeing it getting worse. There are no young people in the chapter. Its not the fault of the chapter but society and the fans. Some day there will be no more officials, mark my words!!!!!!

I watched a high school girls game recently with three refs. They did a great job. I am sure people will say there were a few bad calls, but nothing that upset the game in any way. Two days later, I watched one of these same refs at a jr. high boys game and he didn't seem to remember what traveling was and back court was a mystery to him. He even handed the ball to the opposing team under the basket and when they tried to throw it in and hit the backboard, he gave it to the other team. What is that all about? I am not one to call foul on referees, but this was crazy. He had a first year ref working with him that he was supposed to be mentoring, but how can someone learn under you if you aren't doing the right thing.

I also agree with Birdman. The game has gotten too rough. I heard of two junior high girls in Northeast Texas who were ejected after throwing punches. This was a result of the officials letting the game get way out of hand.

I think there needs to be a better recruiting system for referees. There are plenty of people who need the money and who know the game. Maybe the chapter just needs to get the word out in a better way.

On the bright side, we have a tremendous amount of talented and experienced officials in our chapter that I am happy to see when they walk in the door. I know they have a thankless job, but we do appreciate them and the job they do.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124