Vidor Bashing on Houston Sports 610

bh89-2

Lead reporter for us lives in Vidor and I spent 30 minutes on the phone with my friend coach Mathews today. He has done more to help try lift this crap as much as anyone. I know he won't mind me quoting what he said. Jeff called this "a slap in the face of Matt Thomas."

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="1180651" timestamp="1329588670"]
[quote author=vp32 link=topic=96211.msg1180635#msg1180635 date=1329587619]
This makes me sick. I wonder if the packard and lapray law firm, who are from Vidor, would like to know about this.
[/quote]

I don't know, but I know that the Mayor of Vidor now does.
[/quote]

I hope he shakes a few trees at CBS and politically.  The entire session was completely uncalled for and showed VERY POOR judgement on the part of the hosts and the program director, who has very tight control over what Josh and his show puts over the airwaves. I can't imagine had Rich Lord been on that day, as he normally is, would have allowed that segement to happen.  He's far more mature and respectful than that. 

Here is a link to the CBS Radio Executives, including their contact information:  [url=http://www.cbsradio.com/executives]http://www.cbsradio.com/executives[/url]

Board of Directors and Corporate Executives
[url=http://www.cbscorporation.com/ourcompany-board.php?id=118&member=109]http://www.cbscorporation.com/ourcompany-board.php?id=118&member=109[/url]

I was born in Port Arthur in 1962 and grew up hearing horror stories of Vidor.  Through the years Vidor has changed that image through hard work and determination.  I am proud to say that I now some fine people that live there.  I have a relative that served as Police Chief and City Manager for several years and he has told me what hard work the community of Vidor has done in order to write the new history of Vidor.
The suggestion that I have is to listen to this radio show a little longer, make notes of all of their sponsors and send the link and information to them so they can hear it themselves.  Hit them where it hurts most, in the pocket book.  This should have an immediate impact.  After this I would never listen to that station again.

[quote name="vp32" post="1180770" timestamp="1329605629"]
[quote author=BMTSoulja1 link=topic=96211.msg1180765#msg1180765 date=1329605239]
[quote author=vp32 link=topic=96211.msg1180710#msg date=1329598314]
[quote author=BMTSoulja1 link=topic=96211.msg1180708#msg date=1329597858]
[quote author=vp32 link=topic=96211.msg1180653#msg date=1329589304]
Vidor has to be able to sue them for this right?
[/quote]Whats wrong?  I KNOW this didn't hit you hard at heart since you can give jokes but you can't handle this stuff about your town.  Those radio guys are ignorant, no doubt, but what does that make you for saying 'Blowmont'?  ::) ::)
[/quote]
Don't be so sensitive soulja. I was joking and i didn't hold a radio talk show about how racist Beaumont is. Comparing what i said to this is plain out stupid soulja. Are you serious man?
[/quote]I figured that you wouldn't like it when it was spent the other way.  ;)
[/quote]
Spend the other way around? Wow soulja. No offense man but if you think that you can compare me calling beaumont, blowmont one time to a guy talking racist about my town live on the air then you are not as smart as i thought you were. I know you ain't no drama queen, or so i thought.  ::)
[/quote]
Racism in its worst form, doled out over public airwaves by ignorant individuals. Smh

I don't know that I can put how I feel about this in words. Reminds me of the "expose" the Communist News Network had about us back in 2006. My challenge is to tell me of one factual racial incident that has occured in my hometown in the last 20 years. As a lifelong Vidorian, I consider this a personal slander and attack. This is horrible and I plan on pursuing legal options. Slander is slander and if it were reverse, I'm sure the reverberations would be horrible. We've suffered enough for the past...

[quote name="robanadana" post="1180964" timestamp="1329667096"]
[b]We've suffered enough for the past...[/b]
[/quote]

And that's just it. People picking on Vidor for racism is punishing current Vidor residents and, most importantly, Vidor kids for crap that happened 40+ years ago. It's akin to demanding reparations from families that owned slaves 150 years ago; the Vidorians of today have no control over what happened four decades ago.

I was in and out of Vidor almost once a week in high school. I know plenty of people from Vidor and I would probably have more funny Vidorian stories than anybody at that radio station. That said, this country isn't going to get past racism until people learn to forgive and forget things that people who are now dead did before most of us were born (and that goes for people of any race). It's one thing to pick on a community, but it's something entirely different to drag out a dark and buried past.

There's probably no real legal recourse, but I bet those announcers would shut up pretty quickly if half the town of Vidor called in during the radio show for a few days in a row.

[quote name="robanadana" post="1180977" timestamp="1329668616"]
What time is the Vidor Tales show broadcast and how do I contact them. I intend on pursuing this to the hilt. Already started the letter writing campaign.
[/quote]

Rob, I think that it was just a one time deal.  But the one time was bad enough to warrant Mr. Innes and Mr. Kalu from being removed from the ariwaves.

[quote name="Gabe" post="1181056" timestamp="1329683601"]
Idiots saying this type of crap is the reason Vidor still has this reputation. It's the reason families will not move to the city.
[/quote]
Peolpe that say stuff like this know nothing of today's Vidor. The reputation I'm sad to say, will always be there. There is always going to be someone that has nothing else better to do than to raise the past. But, people will move to Vidor none the less and people will move out and it realistically wont have anything to do with Vidor's past. I graduated from LC-M in 92 and after 11 years in the military, I settled in Vidor. I am well versed about Vidors history having grown up in Mauriceville. My descision to live in Vidor was in my opinion in the best interests of my family. We have had a quiet and pleasant life in Vidor and have become friends with some very good people. I belive people will look past this crap in the end as I did.

Well one of the idiots who was involved in the bashing (Josh) and the Sports 610 program director just finished discussing this issue.  The program director Gavin came on and made some statements about the issue.  Josh in a round-about way blaimed it on Wikapedia information, if you can beleive that.  Sounds like a LAZY and IRRESPONSIBLE excuse for not doing better research before sticking your foot in your mouth.  The Mayor complaining and the numerous Vidor residents and SETX Sports supporters were mentioned.  To say it was an appology would be going way too far and it was more sarcastis than anything, my opinion. 

The program director did openly invite the Mayor of Vidor on to discuss the changes Vidor has made.  I doubt that would ever happen. 

I have two sisters that has lived in Vidor the past 30 years..I have never heard of them bringing up one racial incident...Sports medias are no different from News media..They love to dig up bones and keep controversy going it's the way they make their living,It don't matter to them what the results of their handiwork are...Shame..Shame Shame ..

[quote name="Smoking Baby" post="1181446" timestamp="1329774711"]
Well one of the idiots who was involved in the bashing (Josh) and the Sports 610 program director just finished discussing this issue.  The program director Gavin came on and made some statements about the issue.  Josh in a round-about way blaimed it on Wikapedia information, if you can beleive that.  Sounds like a LAZY and IRRESPONSIBLE excuse for not doing better research before sticking your foot in your mouth.  The Mayor complaining and the numerous Vidor residents and SETX Sports supporters were mentioned.  To say it was an appology would be going way too far and it was more sarcastis than anything, my opinion. 

The program director did openly invite the Mayor of Vidor on to discuss the changes Vidor has made.  I doubt that would ever happen. 
[/quote]

Pretty much what I expected from that bunch.  And confirms that my radio will never land on KILT 610 AM OR KILT 100.3 FM again.  Perhaps when they realize that this idiot not only effects their rating fight with 790 AM but with 92.9 FM as well, they may get the message.

[quote name="Smoking Baby" post="1180570" timestamp="1329572941"]
Yesterday while driving home I was listening to sport 610 around 400PM and was blown away by what I heard.  Everyone on here knows I love to talk smack and I rarely worry about being politically correct, however my favorite sports station crossed the line.  Josh Ennis and former Texan's lineman ND Kalu held a racially charged session about Vidor. Here is what they did:

They now have a new segement called "Vidor-Tales".  The segement started with saying ND had obtained a history text book from Vidor High School and in it says, "Martin Luther King's dream was to grow watermelons without seeds."  They went on to say it also says, "Mrs. Parks rode in the front of the bus because she thought the first stop was a kentucky fried chicken store".  This was followed by ND saying his coach in college told him to never got o Montrose or Vidor.  The remainder of the program was filled with callers calling in to tell their racial "Vidor-Tales". The entire segement had a banjo playing in the background.  Here is a link......[url=http://Vidor Tales! « CBS Houston]Vidor Tales! « CBS Houston [/url] 

Funny they never mentioned how the town came together after a young black athlete passed away this past season, or how the things they discussed were 40 or 50 years old.  What a discrace! 

Sport's 610 Program Director EMail: [url=http://[email protected]][email protected] [/url]
Vidor, hats off too you!  Damn fine place to live.
[/quote]Is there such a history book or the host was making this up? I'm from Houston and remember stopping at a full-service gas station (in the 80's). We didn't know anything about the area at that time. The guy never came out and pumped our gas. We left.

But, I use to drive to Vidor in the 90's (after I moved to Beaumont) to go shopping at one of their stores a couple of times.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1181735" timestamp="1329832528"]
[quote author=Smoking Baby link=topic=96211.msg1180570#msg1180570 date=1329572941]
Yesterday while driving home I was listening to sport 610 around 400PM and was blown away by what I heard.  Everyone on here knows I love to talk smack and I rarely worry about being politically correct, however my favorite sports station crossed the line.  Josh Ennis and former Texan's lineman ND Kalu held a racially charged session about Vidor. Here is what they did:

They now have a new segement called "Vidor-Tales".  The segement started with saying ND had obtained a history text book from Vidor High School and in it says, "Martin Luther King's dream was to grow watermelons without seeds."  They went on to say it also says, "Mrs. Parks rode in the front of the bus because she thought the first stop was a kentucky fried chicken store".  This was followed by ND saying his coach in college told him to never got o Montrose or Vidor.  The remainder of the program was filled with callers calling in to tell their racial "Vidor-Tales". The entire segement had a banjo playing in the background.  Here is a link......[url=http://Vidor Tales! « CBS Houston]Vidor Tales! « CBS Houston [/url] 

Funny they never mentioned how the town came together after a young black athlete passed away this past season, or how the things they discussed were 40 or 50 years old.  What a discrace! 

Sport's 610 Program Director EMail: [url=http://[email protected]][email protected] [/url]
[/quote]Is there such a history book or the host was making this up? I'm from Houston and remember stopping at a full-service gas station (in the 80's). We didn't know anything about the area at that time. The guy never came out and pumped our gas. We left.

But, I use to drive to Vidor in the 90's (after I moved to Beaumont) to go shopping at one of their stores a couple of times.
[/quote]

Maybe because full service stations were fizzled out in the 60's? lol. Never heard of one in the 80's except for the handicapped.

[quote name="kicker" post="1181770" timestamp="1329834810"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=96211.msg1181735#msg1181735 date=1329832528]
[quote author=Smoking Baby link=topic=96211.msg1180570#msg1180570 date=1329572941]

[/quote]

Maybe because full service stations were fizzled out in the 60's? lol. Never heard of one in the 80's except for the handicapped.
[/quote]

Admit it, you have never been to the city........ ;D ;D ;D 

[quote name="kicker" post="1181770" timestamp="1329834810"]

[/quote]

[/quote] I-10 CORRIDOR heading east ..Vidor!!! ;)

[quote name="Smoking Baby" post="1181848" timestamp="1329842554"]
[quote author=kicker link=topic=96211.msg1181770#msg1181770 date=1329834810]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Admit it, you have never been to the city........ ;D ;D ;D
[/quote]

Man....Im from the hood, lol.

[quote name="meanjoe" post="1183911" timestamp="1330027165"]
I have experienced a racial problem in Vidor, but I have had a problem in Beaumont also. Ignorant people exist in every city(some more than others)I believe that good folks outnumber the bad, but negative publicity gets more attention.
[/quote]

With the screen name of "Mean Joe Green" racisim is the least of your worries........ ;D ;D ;D  Man, there are still a few of us die hard Oiler fans.... ;D ;D ;D

[quote name="Smoking Baby" post="1184115" timestamp="1330039049"]
[quote author=meanjoe link=topic=96211.msg1183911#msg1183911 date=1330027165]
I have experienced a racial problem in Vidor, but I have had a problem in Beaumont also. Ignorant people exist in every city(some more than others)I believe that good folks outnumber the bad, but negative publicity gets more attention.
[/quote]

With the screen name of "Mean Joe Green" racisim is the least of your worries........ ;D ;D ;D  Man, there are still a few of us [b]die hard Oiler fans[/b].... ;D ;D ;D
[/quote]
Finally something we agree on! lmao
sorry couldn't help it.

• 2 weeks later...
An update regarding the complaint sent to CBS regarding the topic of discussion. 

Dear Smoking Baby (edited for your SETX enjoyment),

Your recent email to the CBS Non-Management Directors was shared with me, and I want to thank you for sharing your thoughts about the radio station and for the opportunity to consider your concerns.  Please be assured we take all listener comments seriously and appreciate the insight we receive from our audience. 

In the course of our regular meetings with KILT on-air talent we have discussed their editorial choices with respect to the topics they choose to discuss on-air.

I very much appreciate that you are a loyal listener to SportsRadio 610, thank you for taking the time to bring your concerns to our attention, and hope that you will continue to enjoy listening to SportsRadio 610.

Sincerely,
Sarah Frazier 

Sarah Frazier Senior Vice President/Market Manager CBS Radio
[email][email protected][/email]     
713-881-5270

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Ryzxed
    Newest Member
    Ryzxed