Newton LB verbal to Lamar

Guest EagleFan01

Guest momof2hornets
Definitely!!! congratulations to you. You guys had a great season.

I'm just curious as to some other opinions than what I've already heard.... What good exactly is a verbal commitment from a kid or should I say for a kid? There is no guarantee right? It kinda tells everyone else to back off he has made a decision right? Just asking opinions on this topic.

[quote name="greenhornet" post="1158926" timestamp="1326422036"]

I'm just curious as to some other opinions than what I've already heard.... What good exactly is a verbal commitment from a kid or should I say for a kid? There is no guarantee right? It kinda tells everyone else to back off he has made a decision right? Just asking opinions on this topic.
[/quote]

Basically it means squat.

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="1159101" timestamp="1326469464"]
[quote author=greenhornet link=topic=94146.msg1158926#msg1158926 date=1326422036]

[/quote]

[/quote]

It means a little more than that. I means a kid has made a choice of where he wants to spend the next four to five years. Let's other's know he has made a decision and hopefully other recruiters will stop calling.

However, if it is a kid someone else really wants the calls may still keep coming.

For a coach receiving a verbal commitment it kind of tells him where he is scholarship wise if the young man keeps his commitment to national signing day.

Lamar signed four juco's in December, this is their sixth commitment so if everyone stays on board that tells me we have 12 other scholarships available come Feb.

Lamar had 22 scholarships to start with.

Here are some other verbals for Lamar.

OL/DL Joe Persohn Jr  Hardin Jefferson 6'3" 253  BE SuperGold 1st Team, Jr&Sr
OT Bret Treadway Silsbee, Texas Silsbee 6'2" 245  BE SuperGold 2nd Team
DE Corbin Carr Nederland, Texas Nederland 6'3" 245  Honorable Mention All-State
DE David Hollyfield Silsbee, Texas Silsbee 6'2" 230  BE SuperGold 2nd Team
WR Jayce Nelson Port Neches, Texas PNG HS 6'1" 190  BE Super Gold 1st Team, Jr&Sr, Honorable Mention-All State

Guest UHCoog14
[quote name="WOSgrad" post="1159101" timestamp="1326469464"]
[quote author=greenhornet link=topic=94146.msg1158926#msg1158926 date=1326422036]

[/quote]

[/quote]

The only person committed to a verbal agreement is the school. The athlete has the right to change his/her mind at any time before signing a NLI.

[quote name="bigred360" post="1159122" timestamp="1326471618"]
[quote author=WOSgrad link=topic=94146.msg1159101#msg1159101 date=1326469464]

[/quote]

[/quote]

It means a little more than that. I means a kid has made a choice of where he wants to spend the next four to five years. Let's other's know he has made a decision and hopefully other recruiters will stop calling.

However, if it is a kid someone else really wants the calls may still keep coming.

For a coach receiving a verbal commitment it kind of tells him where he is scholarship wise if the young man keeps his commitment to national signing day.

Lamar signed four juco's in December, this is their sixth commitment so if everyone stays on board that tells me we have 12 other scholarships available come Feb.

Lamar had 22 scholarships to start with.

Here are some other verbals for Lamar.

OL/DL Joe Persohn Jr  Hardin Jefferson 6'3" 253  BE SuperGold 1st Team, Jr&Sr
OT Bret Treadway Silsbee, Texas Silsbee 6'2" 245  BE SuperGold 2nd Team
DE Corbin Carr Nederland, Texas Nederland 6'3" 245  Honorable Mention All-State
DE David Hollyfield Silsbee, Texas Silsbee 6'2" 230  BE SuperGold 2nd Team
WR Jayce Nelson Port Neches, Texas PNG HS 6'1" 190  BE Super Gold 1st Team, Jr&Sr, Honorable Mention-All State
[/quote]

When you add the Holmes kid from Newton then all the verbals to date for the February signing period are SE Texas kids.  That said, I hope the coaching staff is working the Houston and other metro areas of Texas pretty hard.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami