And so closes the book on the 2011 High School Football Season

WOSgrad

This is a weekend that I look forward to, yet also look upon with dread.  Of course, this is the weekend that every coach, every player and, yes every high school football fan, points to.  Yet, at the end of the final game of the weekend comes the stark realization that another chapter is this wonderful game has closed...for some the final chapter.

It has been a season of accomplishment for many, including some who back in July and August we thought we would in the running for state championships, such as the the Titans of Port Arthur Memorial or Coldspring-Oakhurst's Trojans.  But what made this season special, for me anyway, was the reminder that with hard work and belief, accomplishment in this game is available to everyone, like the Beaumont Ozen's Panther, who came from nowhere to not only make the playoffs but score huge victories in the playoffs, or the Kelly Bulldogs who exemplied the saying "Next Man Up" en route to the TAPPS Division I championship game, or the Vidor Pirates, another team who reached historic heights, all while dealing with the death of a brother.  We also marveled at individual accomplishments across the area such as the magical season of Hemphill's Justin Twine and Dayton's Juan Carranco, who we get the pleasure of witnessing their continued assault on record books.

What also makes it special is the examples of the shining of human spirit.  Of course, we know about the aforementioned Pirates.  But not as publicized are examples such as the High Island Cardinals, who took the field with 15 players, 9 of which never left the field of play.  And others who deserve our respect and prayers such as West Brook's Jermaine Bowman and the McClendon boys in Livingston who learned all too young the lesson than life goes on as they joined their teammates on the field within days of burying their fathers.  And others like Hull-Daisetta's Kyle Kudro, whose season as a highly touted safety for the Bobcats was ended before two a days in an accident that still leaves him fighting mightily for a return to normal life.

It was also made special by new beginnings.  We watched as high school football was born at Orange Community Christian and reborn in Chester, who returned to UIL district play after a year of "outlaw" schedule.  We saw Lance Dale bring new excitement to the football season in Kountze, Russ Sutherland show that a coach can come from Louisiana and Clint Hartsfield show that, yes, junior high coaches know what they are doing, too.  Even in places where we weren't sure that things would ever change, the household names Stewart, Barbay and Hooks were seamlessly replaced by the names Hancock, Johnston and Thompson.

And of course, all of that has resulted in another banner football season here at SETXsports.com!!!  A number of people are responsible for this.  Most notably the coaches and football players who allowed us to be part of their lives.  I've said this before, my nerves would be a complete wreck if my measurement of success were how well young men from 15-18 performed.  It takes a special breed to take on that task. And it doesn't get said enough....for the sacrifices and time you put in, you deserve our respect and our thanks!

And for the players that we live through from August through just before Christmas, you get our respect as well.  You young gentlemen are a dying breed, those who go through for weeks on end what many of us would no longer endure for five minutes.  And the kicker is that you do it not for personal glory but to represent your school, you neighbors, your community.  In fact, there are some, Bridge City's Matt Menard comes to mind but I know there are many others, who risked quite a bit by playing this year, but never gave it a second thought to taking one last run with their teammates.  Some of you we will see next year, either in with your current school or on a college team last year.  Sadly, many of you who made us cheer, groan, laugh and yes, cry, will never wear football pads again.  That does not matter, the level of respect for each and every one of you is the same, immeasurable!  Thank you and know that you are in our thoughts and prayer whereever life takes you from here.

Of course there are my cohorts here at SETXsports.  It has been a year of accomplishment as well as we were awarded the privilege of broadcasting the games of the largest school district in Southeast Texas.  We continued an outstanding relationship with Lance Edwards, Mike Friedman and Alex Cawley at KFDM TV.  We even forged a great new friend in the KETX Radio Stations in the Livingston area.  In fact, our continued excellence in coverage of high school football in this area earned us a spot on local radio at AM 1300 KSET.  And that is completely due to the efforts of my SETX cohorts Mike Sanchez, Jereme Hubbard, Adam Davis, Tim Scoggins, Gabe Pruett, Robert Sells, rykerx144, Mr. Buddy Garrity, Corey Berg, Justin Robinson and of course, the man who runs it all, my partner on Friday nights (or really I am his) Jordan Wilson.  You guys have informed and entertained us to a degree which I did not believe was obtainable.  Mike and Jereme, you guys make is sound so easy, when I know from experience it is a frightening task. And to my buddy Jordan, none of this is would be done without your effort, not always seen, but always felt.  We all appreciate you man!

I also want to give a quick shout out to another admin and the moderators who help keep the board in order, either by assisting me in gathering info and keeping it flowing like ryker, phatmack19 or my longtime friend, adminbaberuth, or the man I call my security blanket, bobcatfan4life, or by making sure nothing got out of hand when I wasn't able to see anything.  My eternal graitude to you guys.

And last but certainly not least to all of you.  It probably would not surprise you that this message board is busiest through the months of August and December.  What might surprise you is the actual number...2.5 millon page views in August, 3.3 million page views in September, was a record until the 3.5 million views the board had in October and the 3.53 million views in November.  This is due to you all!  Not only by coming to the board and viewing.  Not only by participating in the live broadcasts like guys like Sgt. Rey (whatever language it is in now), and liltex (who forgotten more football than most of us know) and BrenhamFan (who made many of the live events despite living 4 hours west of Beaumont). But by coming in and participating, posting scores and information, and getting me the correct information when mine was incorrect.  Much of the information, which is in turn used by other sites and media, comes from you!  Without you, this board is nothing.  Our deepest of thanks to all of you!

Now, even though the season is over we are not going anywhere yet.  While the Orange Leader has named their team, we will await the Coach's and Sports Writers All State Team, as well as the Beaumont Enterprise Super Gold Team, Port Arthur News All Star Teams and our own All SETX Football Team before we slide down the forum to give way to our basketball friends for the school year.

And of course, we await February 1st, when we find out what the UIL districts will look like for the 2012-13 and 2013-14 school years.

To all of us at SETXsports to all of you, have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

It was a great year for all of SETX,THANKS to everybody and may everyone have a safe and wonderful Holiday season.Remember to give Thanks all during the year we are a blessed nation that gives w/a grateful heart.Neighbors helping neighbors,communities coming together to make this a better place to raise our children and our upcoming leaders of our country.Our brothers/sisters serving in the military -Thank You All and God Bless the USA

[quote name="Kville_Kats" post="1148279" timestamp="1324240149"]
Great post Grad...Thanks to all who make this site what it is,All the Moderators and the people who work in the background who help keep the wheels turning...You Are Appreciated..!!
[/quote]

Well said!

[quote name="BrenhamFan" post="1149306" timestamp="1324431390"]
Very well said Grad.  This site is awesome and you are major part of its success.  All the time I missed from work to attend live events, I'm paying for now, but it was well worth it.  Just wanted to say thanks to everybody that makes this site what it is.
[/quote]

Thanks, but it isn't me.  It's y'all that gathers most of the info.  I just organize it.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder