Weights

The athletes are not so different at the HS level than the 80's athletes.  Subtle changes.  I do believe in the pro ranks that players from the 80's (yesteryear) and now are different.  The athletes of today are less skilled but they are bigger, faster, stronger.  Players of "yesteryear" (not sure when yesteryear's cutoff is) but we can say 80's to mid 90's,.  The priority in todays athletics is physical attributes, then skill work.  Yesteryear the priority was skills.  Not saying that either group could not have some of both attributes.  IMO, to be the best you need both.  But if you have to sacrifice, you sacrifice physical ability for skills. 

My first trip to the state tourney (and same today)was an eye opener. There would be two teams warming up. One was very athletic and big when the other was not......Then you say "this is going to be a blow out"  And usually it is but not the way you thought.....At Austin the more skilled teams usually wins. Weights are valueable  when used properly.

IMO,  what makes some of today's HS basketball athletes better is that they can more easily specialize in only that sport and also have opportunity to play practically year-round, starting at very young age. You can get a whole extra season in playing summer ball each year.! :)

It helps in some ways I agree and hurts in others that they play year round. 
Year round basketball started in the late 80's/early 90's and has grown even more, almost to the point where it reaches all places, where it used to be just in the Big Cities.  I think it takes away from skill time, alone time in the gym, 1 on 1 play, and alot of players are focused more on their AAU team then their school team, which is a shame.  It is becoming tougher and tougher to get players to buy into the school system at most places because of AAU.  It is just like most things in life, a fine line seperates what is good and what is bad.  I believe that the focus should be on the High School and AAU second, but that is JMO.

[quote name="east texas bb" post="1087922" timestamp="1319064515"]
The athletes are not so different at the HS level than the 80's athletes.  Subtle changes.  I do believe in the pro ranks that players from the 80's (yesteryear) and now are different.  The athletes of today are less skilled but they are bigger, faster, stronger.  Players of "yesteryear" (not sure when yesteryear's cutoff is) but we can say 80's to mid 90's,.  The priority in todays athletics is physical attributes, then skill work.  Yesteryear the priority was skills.  Not saying that either group could not have some of both attributes.  IMO, to be the best you need both.  But if you have to sacrifice, you sacrifice physical ability for skills.
[/quote]Good points.

[quote name="no-look" post="1087937" timestamp="1319068112"]
My first trip to the state tourney (and same today)was an eye opener. There would be two teams warming up. One was very athletic and big when the other was not......Then you say "this is going to be a blow out"  And usually it is but not the way you thought.....At Austin the more skilled teams usually wins. Weights are valueable  when used properly.
[/quote] I understand your point. But I think when the unexpected happens it draws more attention.

I  believe strength and conditioning is the most important part of being an athlete. Its the coaches job of whatever sport your talking about to make them more skilled at it. Some teams win because there more skilled, and some win because there physically better, but all teams and players can be better at both.

[quote name="RAA" post="1088188" timestamp="1319118853"]
I  believe strength and conditioning is the most important part of being an athlete. Its the coaches job of whatever sport your talking about to make them more skilled at it. Some teams win because there more skilled, and some win because there physically better, but all teams and players can be better at both.
[/quote]Yep, coaches with good time management can accomplish both during the off-season.

[quote name="east texas bb" post="1088094" timestamp="1319083653"]
It helps in some ways I agree and hurts in others that they play year round. 
Year round basketball started in the late 80's/early 90's and has grown even more, almost to the point where it reaches all places, where it used to be just in the Big Cities.  I think it takes away from skill time, alone time in the gym, 1 on 1 play, and alot of players are focused more on their AAU team then their school team, which is a shame.  It is becoming tougher and tougher to get players to buy into the school system at most places because of AAU.  It is just like most things in life, a fine line
seperates what is good and what is bad.  I believe that the focus should be on the High School and AAU second, but that is JMO.
[/quote]

I agree, I think the focus needs to remain on HS ball.  However, AAU can offer great competition, and it provides a forum for kids to be exposed to
college scouts. IMO Coach E has developed the best of both worlds in Nederland. The summer AAU program (M.C. Flight) is made up primarily of Nederland boys within the school program. There was even a M.C. Flight 7th grade AAU team last year. This way, the AAU ball provides a direct "team" benefit to the school program.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124