Astros 2012

king

• 2 months later...
I've been an Astros fan since they began, but havent been to Minute Maid either. My choice. When the 'stros moved to then Enron, Drayton McLane slashed payroll and jacked up the price of everything from tickets to concessions. Lets just say I havent forgotten. If Jim Crane ever gets approved, I will may have to start making the trek to Houston again. Lets see what happens. As far as predictions go, I dont have my hopes up. Looking forward to some new faces though.

[quote name="AJ25" post="1093847" timestamp="1319559844"]
90 losses next year...Playoffs in 2013.
[/quote]

I just can't see playoffs that soon.  Their division, if they stay in the NL Central, has the cardinals and the brewers in it.  Not to mention the pirates and CUBS which are equally as bad but still competition.  If they move to the AL West, like they are rumored to be, they will finish behind the RANGERS and the angels for sure.  I don't think the astros can think about the playoffs until 2015 at the earliest. 

Guest ECBucFan
They will continue to be a AAA ball club. If any of their players catch fire, they will get traded up to "the big show" to play for someone else.  :-\

[quote name="Ty Cobb" post="1093854" timestamp="1319560332"]
[quote author=AJ25 link=topic=87109.msg1093847#msg1093847 date=1319559844]
90 losses next year...Playoffs in 2013.
[/quote]

I just can't see playoffs that soon.  Their division, if they stay in the NL Central, has the cardinals and the brewers in it.  Not to mention the pirates and CUBS which are equally as bad but still competition.  If they move to the AL West, like they are rumored to be, they will finish behind the RANGERS and the angels for sure.  I don't think the astros can think about the playoffs until 2015 at the earliest.
[/quote]

They'll be in the AL West by then. If they want the ownership switched, the league won't approve it without the move.

[quote name="walldrill" post="1094485" timestamp="1319600677"]
Heard the Crane guy is ok with the move now as long as there is compensation from MLB. I know I don't want them to switch AL is much tougher League. Not sure what kind of compensation Crane is looking for??? Maybe #1 draft pick for next 10 years?
[/quote]

There is also improved chances at the playoffs. 6 in the NL Central, there would be 5 in the AL West.

[quote name="AJ25" post="1094703" timestamp="1319642831"]
[quote author=walldrill link=topic=87109.msg1094485#msg1094485 date=1319600677]
Heard the Crane guy is ok with the move now as long as there is compensation from MLB. I know I don't want them to switch AL is much tougher League. Not sure what kind of compensation Crane is looking for??? Maybe #1 draft pick for next 10 years?
[/quote]

There is also improved chances at the playoffs. 6 in the NL Central, there would be 5 in the AL West.
[/quote]

Improved as far as number of teams. But when you have Pittsburg in you division that would help. Would have to play Rangers and Angels who aren't afraid to spend money and the A's and M's who usually have very solid young pitching.

Guest beechnut
Mcane is the worst owner in MLB and next to bud adams worst in Houston ever. He makes John Mcmullen look like the pope and needs to go Nothing but a carnval  barker and cant wait for Crane to take over. Look for Andrew Feldman from TB GM to come home and watch what happens. Crane will clean house and bye bye Ed Wade.

[quote name="beechnut" post="1096769" timestamp="1319778542"]
Mcane is the worst owner in MLB and next to bud adams worst in Houston ever. He makes John Mcmullen look like the pope and needs to go Nothing but a carnval  barker and cant wait for Crane to take over. Look for Andrew Feldman from TB GM to come home and watch what happens. Crane will clean house and bye bye Ed Wade.
[/quote]
I've not forgiven McMullen for letting Nolan Ryan go. Butt Adams can go to hell or Tennesee. McLane's biggest fault is he ran the Astros like a 7-11. Selling an inferior product at an inflated price. I'm starting to lose any respect for Crane. He's getting the shaft and should have bowed up by now. I'll be happier fan when the Astros are sold and Ed Wade is drawing unemployment.

Umm its not all bud adams fault for going to tennessee. He wanted to get out crappy astrodome and houston wouldnt build him a new stadium. Talk to a seattle supersonic fan theyl tell you to get over it they are the ones who got screwed. Astros will be better next year.

The Astrodome was remodeled, costing taxpayers about $60 million,  after Bud Adams tried to take the Oilers to Jacksonville Florida in the 1980s. When he fled to Tenn., the city (taxpayers) still owed 30 + million. I read somewhere where there is 22 million STILL owed on 'dome renovations. This is what gets me. Fans and taxpayers held hostage from teamowners wanting new toyboxes for their toys. I know this has gone on at every city that has a new stadium. I also know that it took the Oilers leaving to get the new baseball stadium and Reliant ant the Texans. That is how business is done these days. It just doesn't set very well with me. Another form of corporate welfare payed for by fans and taxpayers. Bud Adams might not be the only person to blame, but it starts with him.
As far as the Astros go, I will wait to see how the change in ownership goes down before i get my hopes up.

• 2 weeks later...
I personally can't stand the AL brand of baseball.  I have been a lifelong Astros fan.  I started watching them when they used to battle it out with the Braves in the 80s.  I don't really think that I will be able to watch them when they start playing with a DH. 

I really hate the way that (apparantly) Jim Crane has been blackmaled into switching leagues.  MLB, and the press, drags his name through the mud and then agrees to sell (apparantly again) if he agrees to move to the AL.  What a load of crap. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83

• Tim Erickson from Orangefield….
    • Lucky for Orangefield there’s only 3 games max to play.    Someone said they had a pitcher or 2 throw 90’s but I don’t know that for a fact.  Rumors.   it appears that Orangefield will see some faster pitchers this round. Generally speaking I haven’t been too impressed with Orangefield opponents pitching. Only pitcher so far that was fast (92 mph) was vs Woodville in first game & Orangefield got several runs off of him.    Looking for a good series with no injuries for both teams. 
    • Apologies if this is a stupid question, but why would they just not renew his contract for the 24/25 school year if he had multiple write-ups? I know teachers and paraprofessionals don't get their contract renewed if their performance is bad enough - are coaches' contract situations different?
    • “We have incredible evidence that it’s gain-of-function research again being done in US laboratories.” “𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐛𝐢𝐫𝐝 𝐟𝐥𝐮 𝐬𝐜𝐚𝐫𝐞, 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐡 𝐢𝐭 𝐢𝐬 𝐃𝐢𝐬𝐞𝐚𝐬𝐞 𝐗, 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐆𝐥𝐨𝐛𝐚𝐥 𝐕𝐚𝐜𝐜𝐢𝐧𝐞 𝐀𝐥𝐥𝐢𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐞 𝐬𝐚𝐲𝐬 𝐢𝐭 𝐢𝐬 𝐃𝐢𝐬𝐞𝐚𝐬𝐞 𝐗 — 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐢𝐬 𝐠𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐨 𝐜𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐞 𝐟𝐨𝐨𝐝 𝐢𝐧𝐬𝐞𝐜𝐮𝐫𝐢𝐭𝐲 𝐚𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐝𝐫𝐢𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐨𝐟 𝐟𝐞𝐚𝐫 𝐠𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐨 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐞𝐥𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧 𝐜𝐲𝐜𝐥𝐞.”
    • It’s very difficult to fire an educator.  It’s not difficult to reassign them and put them in a situation where they’re likely to leave on their own.  I’m not sure of the legality of exposing an employee’s work records, but it seems likely it’s not allowed if nothing criminal took place.  
  • Topics