If you were a Hall of Fame Voter

Ok. We have 2 guys in [b]Chipper Jones and Jim Thome [/b] who are in the end of their careers. If had a HOF vote what are you thoughts on these 2 guys? If you can think of any other guys we can discuss throw them out there as well. For the most part I would say to go with one of these 4 choices.

1. 1st Ballot Hall of Famer
2. Hall of Fame but not 1st ballot
3. Just shy of Hall of Fame in my book
4. Not even close

Maybe admin Ruth can help us with career numbers for these guys.

Me personally I put both of these guys in on the 1st ballot.

Thome just reached 600 homers and has a carrer obp of .402. He has not been the top player at his position, but I think he is one of those guys that has been consistently good for a long time, he also played on some very good Cleveland teams back in the 90s and had productive years in Philly and with the ChiSox.

Chipper was the best 3rd baseman in the game for around 10 years. Key to many of the Braves playoff runs offensively at least. Great switch hit pop from both sides of the plate. Also not afraid to grit it out through some injuries.

Ok here are a few more that will be voted on here in the next few years.

[b]BARRY LARKIN - Shortstop - Cincinnati Reds[/b]

1st ballot in my opinion. Best as his position in the NL for nearly a decade. I think he will have the votes to get in next year.

[b]BIGGIO AND BAGWELL[/b]

Biggio for me is first ballot. 3000 hits puts him in along with being an All-Star at 3 different positions and the several seasons he put together with all the 2B's and Stolen bases. Ultimate hustler and team guy.

Bagwell is sitting on the fence for me. I think he will eventually get in. I put him in but not on first ballot.

What I'd like to see done is Bagwell wait until Biggio is on the ballot and the voters to put them in together. That way I can make that 2nd trip to Cooperstown on Hall of Fame weekend to see that induction. Just think what these guys numbers could have been like had they not played half their career in the dome.

[b]FRANK THOMAS[/b]

Is also a hall of famer in my book. I think his and Baggy's numbers are very comparable.

[b]DEREK JETER[/b]

Yes. 1st ballot. No doubt.

[b]MARIANO RIVERA[/b]

1st ballot HOF

[b]ICHIRO[/b]

1ST BALLOT. LOOK AT HIS NUMBERS IN MLB ALONE. THEN ADD IN WHAT HE DID IN JAPAN. AMAZING!

[b]TREVOR HOFFMAN[/b]

1st ballot. Along with Rivera one of the top closers in the game for a very long time.

Both will be in the HOF.....First Ballot, no, neither played in New York or Boston. Thome might get in before Jones because he played in Chicago for a while.....so much of the HOF is politics.

Biggio will get in the HOF but it will be about 5-10 years after he is eligible. Once again, he played in Houston and the New York sportswriters could care less about anyone from Houston.

Randy Johnson another soon to be HOF.

Ken Griffey Jr. Another one.

Mike Piazza. Gets in I think. Not first ballot.

Ivan Rodriguez. Gets in for sure.

Vlad Guerrero gets in eventually imo. He is real close to done.

Bernie Williams is just out I think.

Andy Pettite gets in after a few years.

Just adding some guys that I thought of.

[quote name="ForeverADog" post="1036126" timestamp="1313521226"]
Randy Johnson another soon to be HOF.

Ken Griffey Jr. Another one.

Mike Piazza. Gets in I think. Not first ballot.

Ivan Rodriguez. Gets in for sure.

Vlad Guerrero gets in eventually imo. He is real close to done.

Bernie Williams is just out I think.

Andy Pettite gets in after a few years.

Just adding some guys that I thought of.
[/quote]

I think You are pretty much right on the money with these as well. Pudge might have some trouble because I think he was linked to steroids for his years in Texas.

Guest baseball25
Bonds,mcgwire,sosa,Palmeiro should all get in before those guys you just named!!!! its a shame that they won't get in when major league baseball let all of this happen!!!! they didn't have a steroid policy untill 2002!!! when baseball was going down hill after the strike you have sosa and big mac saving the game when the MLB knew what was going on but all they cared about was getting the game back and now they won't let these guys in the HOF. Love them or hate them almost everyone in the world was watching sosa and big mac chase!!! What hurts the HOF is you have so called media guys doing the voting and most of them have no clue about the game of baseball and never played the game. Pete Rose should be in the HOF before those guys you mention also!!! Also you have the idiot ring leader Bud Selig!!!

[quote name="basketball25" post="1036405" timestamp="1313586903"]
Bonds,mcgwire,sosa,Palmeiro should all get in before those guys you just named!!!! its a shame that they won't get in when major league baseball let all of this happen!!!! they didn't have a steroid policy untill 2002!!! when baseball was going down hill after the strike you have sosa and big mac saving the game when the MLB knew what was going on but all they cared about was getting the game back and now they won't let these guys in the HOF. Love them or hate them almost everyone in the world was watching sosa and big mac chase!!! What hurts the HOF is you have so called media guys doing the voting and most of them have no clue about the game of baseball and never played the game. Pete Rose should be in the HOF before those guys you mention also!!! Also you have the idiot ring leader Bud Selig!!!
[/quote]

In some ways I agree with many of the things you said. I have always thought that the members of the HOF and the players that played with the guys up for induction should be the ones voting rather than the media. As far as the steroid era I kind of agree that those guys should be put in as well. and those found to be guilty of PED's should have that noted on their individual plaques. I also think that they should do Pete and shoeless Joe the same way.

Guest baseball25
I mean Bonds,clemens, mcgwire were already great players!!!, Bonds was a 5 tool guy coming out of Arizona st. These guys should be in!! The hof is about numbers and dominating the game and thats just what they did. I have been around alot of players that have taking steroids but they still couldn't hit a curveball,changeup, or a slider!!! you still have to hit the ball and have patients at the plate and be discpline in what you are doing. Same thing for pitchers there have been guys I've been around that would gain 7 mph on there fastball because they did roids but still couldn't get ahead in the count, still couldn't throw there off-speed  pitches for strikes and they didn't compete when they were on the bump!!! I don't care who takes steroids you still have to be great at what your doing and you still have to compete!!!!

Players have been trying this stuff for a long time!!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steroids_in_baseball

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83