fishing stewts island??

[quote name="indianforever" post="1020287" timestamp="1308782809"]
i just bought a boat and planned on fishing around stewts island this weekend...does anyone have any advice for me...it will be my first time out there and i dont know where to fish around there or what is the best bait for that area or even if thats a good place to fish or not
[/quote]

Yeah, pick me up and let me show you.  ;D

Lots of options on the north end. I don't know with as windy as it has been and with all the rain but specks have been schooling. You could go chase birds or bait on the water. You could also anchor or slow drift (as mentioned, the wind will probably prohibit that option) with cut bait or crabs for reds on the sand bars and channel south of the island. Also be very careful in the area as it can get very shallow in what looks like open water.

Instead of running about a mile east of the big bridges to the islands you could run the same distance west and fish around and in the east Bessie Heights canal.

The "best" bait is generally shrimp if you can get some but I rarely use them. I hate buying them but love it when I can get some in a cast net. Mud minnows, soft plastics, finger mullet are good options.

What is it that you are looking to catch?

[quote name="tvc184" post="1020291" timestamp="1308783719"]
[quote author=indianforever link=topic=85151.msg1020287#msg1020287 date=1308782809]
i just bought a boat and planned on fishing around stewts island this weekend...does anyone have any advice for me...it will be my first time out there and i dont know where to fish around there or what is the best bait for that area or even if thats a good place to fish or not
[/quote]

Yeah, pick me up and let me show you.  ;D

Lots of options on the north end. I don't know with as windy as it has been and with all the rain but specks have been schooling. You could go chase birds or bait on the water. You could also anchor or slow drift (as mentioned, the wind will probably prohibit that option) with cut bait or crabs for reds on the sand bars and channel south of the island. Also be very careful in the area as it can get very shallow in what looks like open water.

Instead of running about a mile east of the big bridges to the islands you could run the same distance west and fish around and in the east Bessie Heights canal.

The "best" bait is generally shrimp if you can get some but I rarely use them. I hate buying them but love it when I can get some in a cast net. Mud minnows, soft plastics, finger mullet are good options.

What is it that you are looking to catch?
[/quote]

i would like to get some nice reds and specks

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83