10 yr olds / Little League Game thread

[quote name="bballdude" post="1021902" timestamp="1309555069"]
[quote author=thetragichippy link=topic=84994.msg1021892#msg1021892 date=1309551217]
Reading the post on here has been very entertaining to say the least. You can definitely tell who the umps are, the coaches and the parents by their post. Everyone is pointing the finger, but no one wants to take the blame. It seems to me that blame could be spread out pretty evenly. I've seen bad coaches, bad parents and bad umps (yea, I know that's hard for the umps to believe.....)

With that said, the majority of the coaches, parents and umps are good.....but everyone is going to have to admit some blame for the issues or it will never be fixed.

I would caution the posters that think LL will be around if the bad calls, bad coaching and improperly run leagues continue. Look at the number of teams 5 years ago versus today. My son will be playing select next year because of the issues. If he plays LL, it will be second to his select team.

my 2 cents

[/quote]

I agree with you 100% that the blame should be equally shared.  This thread just didn't start out that way and I, for one, don't care to see any [i][b]one[/b][/i] person blamed completely.

As for LL versus Select, you're going to get the same bad calls, bad coaching and bad parents at both.  It's in all youth sports, period! My suggestion is to play both.  Select is weekend tournament ball and has its place but your local LL will be where you son/daughter meets the friends he/she will head off to HS with (after baseball).  The best players/teams around play both. They use Select to preapre themselves for LL All Stars.  Just look at the most recent 12 yo All Star teams to make big waves at State, BC (GTB) & Jasper (Scrappers).  These kids enjoyed the best of both worlds and my son played against both teams at Ford park and in LL All Stars.
[/quote]

Thanks.....good info

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well not much has been said on here about how the game was played - I would like to say congrats to Nederland 10 year old all star team not only did they loose their 1st base coach but they also lost their short stop and #1 batter but they all learned a lesson that night, but the good thing is the boys pulled together as a team and still won the game! These kids on this team are special, not only are they teamates but they are best friends they all have each others back and you better believe come Wednesday they will play their hearts out for the ones that can't be there each and every one of them!! The Coach will be missed and so will our LITTLE ROCKET!!!

Well stated!

Lessons learned, take care of business and head to Sectionals!

[quote name="boymom" post="1021970" timestamp="1309572627"]
Well not much has been said on here about how the game was played - I would like to say congrats to Nederland 10 year old all star team not only did they loose their 1st base coach but they also lost their short stop and #1 batter but they all learned a lesson that night, but the good thing is the boys pulled together as a team and still won the game! These kids on this team are special, not only are they teamates but they are best friends they all have each others back and you better believe come Wednesday they will play their hearts out for the ones that can't be there each and every one of them!! The Coach will be missed and so will our LITTLE ROCKET!!!
[/quote]

Great game by both teams tonight (BC and Port Neches). BC had bases loaded in the 6th and we were able to get a pop up and 2 k's. BC hit a bomb and the ball hasn't came down yet. It's an uphill battle, but hopefully we can give you Dog's a good game. Good luck Wednesday to both teams.

Scalp'em I got your book ready, plus a copy of the RIM (Rules Instruction Manuel) the learning manuel that is used in Umpire Clinics. It may cost you a hook up at Buffalos for some wings with the youngins......

Good luck to the 10U Nederland Allstar team tomorrow night. Look forward to watching a well coached team. This is a team that has great kids and parents and has been successful wherever they play. We will be rooting for you!!!

[quote name="MoFo" post="1022341" timestamp="1309869309"]
Scalp'em I got your book ready, plus a copy of the RIM (Rules Instruction Manuel) the learning manuel that is used in Umpire Clinics. It may cost you a hook up at Buffalos for some wings with the youngins......

[/quote]
Sounds good, Thanks!

I.M.O. Little League is cub scouts with bats and select is very cut throat. Umpires that feel like their judgement should not be questioned should not be a umpire .Coaches figure out that nice guys finish last and the squeaky wheel gets the oil ! It is human nature to give into someone that is complaining.Ask a husband.Also,I feel like to many umpires like to be noticed when being unnoticed should be the goal.I have umpired and coached and realize that common sense must prevail over just showing your knowledge of rules.Ejecting players and coaches should be a last resort but sometimes has to be done.All this nonsense is part of baseball.If you do not like it,take up fishing!   

WOW, it's hard to believe that all of this is over a baseball game played by 10 year old children. I have umpired pretty much all of the summer leagues and High School baseball for 32 years and in that span I have ejected 6 people. Two LL coaches, two select coaches, one select player and one HS player. Five for arguing balls and strikes and one coach for acting like he had a bottle rocket in his pants after a close call at first. IN THIRTY TWO YEARS and I can't remember any of my partners tossing more than a small handfull. My point is, it should be rare when it happens. Y'all act like it's an everyday thing. I suggest if your child gets ejected you correct it. I can only imagine how my father would have corrected me. If you are a parent/coach and have been tossed, I suggest you think about how you want your character to be percieved. If you have been tossed more than once, you need to have a long talk with the man in the mirror. Have a better day today!... Tim Summers

Excellent Tim, and I agree 100%. I can remember catching an attitude on the field once when I was about 11, I can also remember my grandfather standing at the dugout door when I came off the field (not at the end of the game, but at the middle of the inning) lets just say I got myself an attitude adjustment.

I have umped for many years, I have never thrown a coach or a player out. I have had a parent removed from the stands for conduct unbecoming (vulger language). I have had a few talks with kids and coaches who have shown attitude, and like I said in an earlier post I may be guilty for advancing thier attitudes on the field. Also a 100% ABSOLUTE YES, there are some umps who feel as if they are putting on a bullet proof vest and strapping on a side arm when they are getting suited up, they always find a time in EVERY game where they have their "EVERYONE LOOK AT ME MOMENT" but I will also state it is usually the fellow umps that weed these guys out because everyone knows who they are and no one wants to work with them.

You people have way too much time on your hands!!

Do this........ go out and teach your kids the game and most of all teach them how to be a good sport and there will not have to be any forums about ejections from games! I promise you can still be competitive and win titles if you do that.

Our kids do know the game and they also have good sportsmanship -  you all act like ur kid has never showed frustration, he didnt disrespect his father, mother or UMPIRE! nothing was said by the player to the umpire about the bad calls - all he did when he got into the dugout is put his helmet down onto the bench maybe he did it hard but whatever thats the dugout, he didnt do it on the field and he didnt do it in front of the fans - if you didnt see what happened your input is worth nothing!!!!Has anyone every thought if that happend to their kid how they would feel about it, you all are so quick to judge other peoples children get a life!!!

Mrs boymom, I do not think anyone was putting down, or judging the player, or the coach for that matter. I have 4 boys, and short of my youngest (who does not play yet) I am sure all of them have "set" something down with more force than needed out of frustration. I dont think the coach meant any disrespect to the ump by leaving the dugout, but in this case you had a ump make a call that was perfectly within his right to make. Lesson learned by all.

yes lessons learned, just feel like umpires should have gave a warning instead of kicking the child out of the game!!Its over now and we have a game to win tonight against Port Neches......Good luck to all the players playing tonight!!!

[quote name="boymom" post="1022594" timestamp="1309980085"]
Our kids do know the game and they also have good sportsmanship -  you all act like ur kid has never showed frustration, he didnt disrespect his father, mother or UMPIRE! nothing was said by the player to the umpire about the bad calls - all he did when he got into the dugout is put his helmet down onto the bench maybe he did it hard but whatever [b]thats the dugout, [/b] he didnt do it on the field and he didnt do it in front of the fans - if you didnt see what happened your input is worth nothing!!!!Has anyone every thought if that happend to their kid how they would feel about it, you all are so quick to judge other peoples children get a life!!!
[/quote]fyi...the dugout is a part of the field...oh and using caps or an exclamation point is RUDE!!! ;D

[quote name="spoonbill" post="1022619" timestamp="1309984494"]
[quote author=boymom link=topic=84994.msg1022594#msg1022594 date=1309980085]
Our kids do know the game and they also have good sportsmanship -  you all act like ur kid has never showed frustration, he didnt disrespect his father, mother or UMPIRE! nothing was said by the player to the umpire about the bad calls - all he did when he got into the dugout is put his helmet down onto the bench maybe he did it hard but whatever [b]thats the dugout, [/b] he didnt do it on the field and he didnt do it in front of the fans - if you didnt see what happened your input is worth nothing!!!!Has anyone every thought if that happend to their kid how they would feel about it, you all are so quick to judge other peoples children get a life!!!
[/quote]fyi...the dugout is a part of the field...oh and using caps or an exclamation point is RUDE!!! ;D
[/quote]

The intent of the rule against striking helmets against the floor/dugout/wall etc is for safety reasons. Players have been injured from flying plastic, wood and concrete. Now as far as the intent of not letting a grown man out w/out permission, you got me, can somebody explain that one? Have a better day today!..TS

hey what time is the game tonight and where id like to see it . as for kid getting kicked out he wont be the first or last for slamming helmit or throwing bat seen it many times . as for coach being ejected for not raising hand to peeeeeeeeeeee now thats a classic and im sure thats not the reason .

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder