Volleyball needs more fans !

It is quite apparent to this seasoned observer that the discourtesy sport of volleyball is lacking those admirers that it needs to push it into the mainstream of American High School sport. The last game that I attended had almost no devotees which is an embarrassment to the very schools that these teams represent. More assiduity should be paid to this sport which is a brilliant spectacle of fierce competition to observe.

[quote name="Howard" post="1014783" timestamp="1306549829"]
It is quite apparent to this seasoned observer that the discourtesy sport of volleyball is lacking those admirers that it needs to push it into the mainstream of American High School sport. The last game that I attended had almost no devotees which is an embarrassment to the very schools that these teams represent. More assiduity should be paid to this sport which is a brilliant spectacle of fierce competition to observe.
[/quote]

Well said, esteemed pundit and pontificator.

Some of WO-S' volleyball players are cheerleaders and/or members of the drill team and it's tough for them to balance volleyball and other stuff during football season! These volleyball games need to be on Saturday mornings with 9th/JV at 8 or 9 am while varsity should start at 10 or 11 am! What do you think about that?

[quote name="skipmeister" post="1014970" timestamp="1306639193"]
Some of WO-S' volleyball players are cheerleaders and/or members of the drill team and it's tough for them to balance volleyball and other stuff during football season! These volleyball games need to be on Saturday mornings with 9th/JV at 8 or 9 am while varsity should start at 10 or 11 am! What do you think about that?
[/quote]

Here's the source in regards to that:

http://orangeleader.com/hssports/x546291902/It-is-not-just-a-game-its-a-district-game/print

[quote name="skipmeister" post="1014970" timestamp="1306639193"]
[/quote]

I am sure that the 5 other teams in the district have conflicts, yet they are able to field a team for all of the district games.  Let's just say that as a WO-S alum, that little situation still steams me. 

That being said, what about on Tuesday night when they play, where are the fans then?

• 1 month later...
need to promote games,  a lot of schools have "pink matches-dig for the cure" or if there is a big rivarly game that could be promoted just on that.....and of course winning helps a lot...ive been to plenty of hs vb matches that were jam packed with fans, so i know it is possible

[quote name="grasshopper" post="1022323" timestamp="1309834702"]
need to promote games,  a lot of schools have "pink matches-dig for the cure" or if there is a big rivarly game that could be promoted just on that.....and of course winning helps a lot...ive been to plenty of hs vb matches that were jam packed with fans, so i know it is possible
[/quote]

How can we promote particular games when I can't even get folks to give me the schedule of their games?  I've had a list of schedules, for a season that is scheduled to begin in a little over a week, that I have not been able to get on my own (with the exception of the Evadale schedule which was pm'd to me as I was doing the original posting) for almost a week now and I have gotten one response.

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="1022335" timestamp="1309865946"]
[quote author=grasshopper link=topic=84615.msg1022323#msg1022323 date=1309834702]
[/quote]

How can we promote particular games when I can't even get folks to give me the schedule of their games?  I've had a list of schedules, for a season that is scheduled to begin in a little over a week, that I have not been able to get on my own (with the exception of the Evadale schedule which was pm'd to me as I was doing the original posting) for almost a week now and I have gotten one response.
[/quote]

You didn't put Brenham on your list of schedules needed, and I understand why, but if you want too, here it it is.....

http://classroom.brenhamisd.net/webs/athletics/upload/microsoft_word_-_2011_volleyball_schedule.pdf

It's a start, and maybe it can get things going.  It's promoting, even if it's not what was requested.

[quote name="BrenhamFan" post="1022352" timestamp="1309874939"]
[quote author=WOSgrad link=topic=84615.msg1022335#msg1022335 date=1309865946]
[quote author=grasshopper link=topic=84615.msg1022323#msg1022323 date=1309834702]
[/quote]

[/quote]

You didn't put Brenham on your list of schedules needed, and I understand why, but if you want too, here it it is.....

http://classroom.brenhamisd.net/webs/athletics/upload/microsoft_word_-_2011_volleyball_schedule.pdf

It's a start, and maybe it can get things going.  It's promoting, even if it's not what was requested.
[/quote]

Even though, Brenham is a "geographical" member, I consider it, largely due to your efforts, an auxiliary member.  You give it, I'll post it.  I thought it might have been this year, but maybe next, we may make a limited expansion into the Houston area.

Thanks, BF!

No problem.  I have tried to get others around the Houston area to visit the site, and it seems I have been somewhat successful.  There's been a few from 17-4A. (Brenham, Montgomery, Waller & Stratford)

(Grasshopper is fairly new to the sight and is a Stratford guy.)

Thanks for the consideration, and for all the work you put into this site to make it what it is.  You do a great job covering all of the sports!

yes i am fairly new to this site, brenham fan grabbed from another site...and yes i like that it covers a lot of sports.......and brenham, college park visiting icecream land in vb, should be a good match to see, and its before fb starts..ill keep my eye on that one

[quote name="grasshopper" post="1022447" timestamp="1309919431"]
yes i am fairly new to this site, brenham fan grabbed from another site...and yes i like that it covers a lot of sports.......and brenham, college park visiting icecream land in vb, should be a good match to see, and its before fb starts..ill keep my eye on that one
[/quote]

No doubt...  17-4A is a beast in vb!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SVD Beaumont
    Newest Member
    SVD Beaumont